One of the biggest problems with America today: People don't know how to disagree but still get along (1 Viewer)

Drew's comments yesterday were basically stating that while he knows that something must be done about the racial inequality in the country, he doesn't think that kneeling during the national anthem is the right way to do it. For that, he has been crucified. His view is that not standing at attention during the national anthem is disrespectful to the sacrifices of all those that allow us our freedoms today. What he's missing is that today's America still has a long way to go, and on the particular issue of racial inequality he hasn't really had to experience that first hand, so saying that 'America is great' sounds tone deaf coming from a white man. I think the right response would be for someone to listen to what he's saying, try to understand his viewpoint, and then try to explain why people think that kneeling during the anthem is a right way to protest.

Beyond this particular instance, I think that one of the biggest problems in America today is that people don't know how to disagree but still get along. If someone has a different view than you, it's easy to just say 'screw that person' rather than sit down and have a hard conversation. This leads to the extreme polarization we see in politics and beyond.
This post has really bothered me, specifically because I keep seeing people complain about respecting everyone's opinion. Not every opinion is equal, folks. You and I might disagree on a movie or what Saints uniforms are better. That's an opinion that should be respected. However, when the opinion ignores the human rights issues of others you're going to be ***" out of luck in getting respect for your opinion.

I believe they've been charged with murder.
Apparently that's not enough for the mob. Due process takes too much time for them. Guess they would rather just publicly string them up and hang them publicly and even then it probably wouldn't be enough. What those cops did was absolutely wrong and they will get their day in court and we all know there's not one jury in this country that won't prosecute them.

Drew's comments yesterday were basically stating that while he knows that something must be done about the racial inequality in the country, he doesn't think that kneeling during the national anthem is the right way to do it. For that, he has been crucified. His view is that not standing at attention during the national anthem is disrespectful to the sacrifices of all those that allow us our freedoms today. What he's missing is that today's America still has a long way to go, and on the particular issue of racial inequality he hasn't really had to experience that first hand, so saying that 'America is great' sounds tone deaf coming from a white man. I think the right response would be for someone to listen to what he's saying, try to understand his viewpoint, and then try to explain why people think that kneeling during the anthem is a right way to protest.

Beyond this particular instance, I think that one of the biggest problems in America today is that people don't know how to disagree but still get along. If someone has a different view than you, it's easy to just say 'screw that person' rather than sit down and have a hard conversation. This leads to the extreme polarization we see in politics and beyond.
This is what happened and Drew was able to realize how wrong and hurtful his comments were. That's my understanding.

Apparently that's not enough for the mob. Due process takes too much time for them. Guess they would rather just publicly string them up and hang them publicly and even then it probably wouldn't be enough. What those cops did was absolutely wrong and they will get their day in court and we all know there's not one jury in this country that won't prosecute them.
It won't be enough when they are all back on the street in 10 years. That's usually the worst case scenario for these murderers and that has to change.

There are some parts about the past that we have improved upon, but one of those in which we have mistakenly gone backwards with is the lack of diversity in thought while still being tolerant of other ideas. It is sad that if someone says something that is one or two degrees to the left or right of the default politically correct response, we demand apologies and even wish for their careers to come to an end. This is an unacceptable societal norm that needs to correct itself, before it's too late.

Charges are okay but an actual conviction would be a rare and great acheivement. I don't if you notice but the cops usually get off. It took two weeks to charge the other three.

True, someone willing to do that to another human is likely beyond reason. I was more talking about the other 95% of people that are reasonable. I think Drew is a reasonable person, and I'd like to see people try to have a conversation with him to let him know why they think his views are off-base before they throw him under the bus.
Are 95% reasonable? The numbers and my experience tell me you could cut that number in half and maybe get there.

And if the disagreement is over whether a person deserves to have humanity and justice or not, why is the onus on the person being denied that to convince the denier his right to equal life? Why is it not OUR collective job that see their humanity to step in and fight on their side? For doing nothing, or worse, telling the oppressed it is their battle to fight alone, is functionally no different than endorsing their oppression through indifference.

Totally on point and accurate, well done.

NOFalcons, if you know a better country than the USA, I urge you to move there quickly for your anti-capitalist beliefs. I believe you are in the wrong country and I recommend Venezuela for you, perhaps Cuba. Let me know how that works out for you

NOFalcons, if you know a better country than the USA, I urge you to move there quickly for your anti-capitalist beliefs. I believe you are in the wrong country and I recommend Venezuela for you, perhaps Cuba. Let me know how that works out for you

I believe THIS may be the example the OP was looking for of his argument.

People need to watch what they wish for. I am seeing a lot of people wanting police and law enforcement removed from inner cities. Out of curiosity, does anyone here feel safe driving into New Orleans without police? Now keep in mind, they aren’t asking for police to be held accountable. They are asking for complete removal.

All that time and effort I put into my response to you and you can't answer?

So you must agree that racism is a primary issue for African Americans still in 2020? Glad I could be of help.

It's almost as if you have no idea why they're protesting...

How does the fact that whites are 72% of the population and blacks 13% figure into your theory?

I'd add, comparing similar events, what's the percentage that gets harassed,fined, and/or incarcerated?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom