One of the FEW things Coach Payton has gotten wrong this year... (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
In an interview earlier this week, Coach Payton said (paraphrase) "No team has ever made it into the playoffs with 7 wins or less."

There may be others, but here's one: Before the NFL schedule was lengthened to 16 games, the old (1969) Houston Oilers made the playoffs with SIX wins (6-6-2).

Link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti1969.htm

But the coach's point is well taken: We can't even begin to think about the playoffs until it all starts to shake out in the end.

Note: Sorry if this point was already posted, but I didn't see this in another thread. But if it was... no doubt someone will make it known.

Kegger

Up North
Reaction score
He probably just meant that no team has ever made it in with a sub .500 record

Random Fan

Reaction score
His larger point was basically: we're just going to shut up and play. That quote, and the others around it in the T-P article were gold. My respect for Payton just grows on a daily basis.

He's trying to explain that he doesn't sit there and pay attention the national media, or run probability numbers, or go "what if," he just prepares his team to win every game each week. He knows the Saints haven't accomplished anything, it's just like Brees said in the same article. The NFL is about postseason and championships. The Saints aren't there yet.

lurkerTim

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Atlanta; grew up in Pensacola, Europe, Jamaica and
He said "I have never seen it" not that it has never happened.

“This is my 10th year in the league and I’ve never seen a team win seven games and get into the playoffs,” Payton said. “We have a lot of football left. We’re sitting here at seven wins right now. We’re not sitting at 10 or 11 wins. We’re sitting at seven and that’s the approach I think you have to take.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/4761511.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Eeyore I'm not smart enough to think of these things. Everything Else Board 7
El Caliente Can we clean things up before next week? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Dan in Lafayette Saints vs. Raiders: 3 Things to Watch in Week 2 SR News Page Articles 0
ktmoze Saints vs. Raiders: 3 Things to Watch in Week 2 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Tony1Saintfan Strange things in the er Everything Else Board 12
Saints haven't trailed in NFC South for 722 days; here's where things stand after Week 1 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
3 things to watch as the Saints renew their quest for a Super Bowl title Saints RSS News Feeds 0
I know why Coach Payton has lost his play calling mojo... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Nightshade N/S Deion Sanders to become head coach at Jackson St Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
DerrickB "The Coach has to be careful to not criticized Brady in front of the media" Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 27
WhoDat_SB44 Burrow has a chance to win it at the end but his coach let him down IMO Everything Else Board 14
Sean Payton: I get caught up in the game and forget about the mask Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton on the late Gale Sayers: 'He was so explosive and dynamic' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Payton accepts blame for not wearing mask on sidelines, addresses Saints issues ahead of Packers test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After fine, Sean Payton admits he needs 'to be more diligent' with face covering during games Saints RSS News Feeds 0
cue180 Payton delayed trip home in order to review game film Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 43
Saints, Sean Payton reportedly fined $350K total for failure to wear face coverings on sideline Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Source: Gruden, Payton fined for mask negligence Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL fines Jon Gruden, Sean Payton for not wearing masks Monday night Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere Payton and Gruden fined $100k for not wearing masks; organizations fined $250k Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 37
This is How Sean Payton's Teams Start - Unexplainable No Show Losses- In Great Seasons Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
Sean Payton: Saints’ offense is “average at best” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Postgame on Saints Loss to Raiders in Week 2 | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
Saints Payton post game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
How Sean Payton's career was shaped by mentors Jon Gruden, Bill Parcells Saints RSS News Feeds 0
No sleep, all football: How Sean Payton got his foot in the NFL door thanks to Jon Gruden Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Talks Offensive Strategy, Week 2 prep | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Payton hasn't ruled out MT13 against the Raiders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
Payton refuses comment on Thomas injury, cites strength of special teams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ndcc Saints Nick Wright torches Sean Payton in this vid (...calls him a jerk) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 68
Saintsphere Payton on Davenport Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 30
Andrus Sean Payton Postgame Interview after Saints Win vs. Buccaneers | Week 1 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Analysis What would you whisper in Payton's ear after week 1 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 70
Payton: “That was as bad of a game as I’ve had as a playcaller.” Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 102
Drew Brees and Sean Payton's 'unbelievable journey' now entering its 15th season Saints RSS News Feeds 0