One play I’d coach differently..... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Dennis Allen did not ask for my opinion, but I’ll share it anyway.
On the Hail Mary at half.....we again ran the 5 rushers and 6 drop to protect the endzone.
Ryan had time to drop back, circle around, and heave the pass.
I never understand why so many defenders are needed deep. Only 1 really makes a play on the ball, and 3-4 are always just “in the area”.

My coaching move would be 4 DBs.....and blitz 7.

Overwhelm the OL. Make the QB not be able to get feet set for the 55 yard throw.
Make him have to get rid of it while receivers are still running to the endzone.
Then, if it’s to the short guy, our 4 DBS run to him.

No chance of atouchdown......vs a jump ball Hail Mary which could be 50/50.....as WR typically are taller and have better hands than DBs (see DeAndre Hopkins).

We actually ran this vs Dallas last year with CGJ blitzing, untouched, and forced Dak to throw way to early.

Extra defenders are needed in the event of a tipped pass and what happens if your one defender falls down? You have someone to move over and help. Also, what happens if they fake the hail mary and throw a short pass, not one to defend it

v/r

Couch Potato Coach

I think most coaches play the odds, not to often the Hail Mary works in a well defended end zone, happened once this year as far as l know

You want more defenders than WRs in the area where the ball comes down for the obvious reason that this makes it much harder for the receiver to get position, catch the ball, and run after the catch if the ball comes down short of the end zone. You also want to be able to contest a tipped pass, and this is much harder to do with only one DB in the area. I'd say rush 4 so as not to give the QB too much time to set and throw. Play 4 DBs deep near the end zone, and have 3 defenders lined up across the middle. Sometimes the football gods let the Hail Mary get completed despite the defense's best efforts, but it usually gets batted down.

Someone like D Hopkins can make the catch between 3 defenders. Not everyone is him, but crap can happen.

On the Hail Mary at half.....we again ran the 5 rushers and 6 drop to protect the endzone.
I never understand why so many defenders are needed deep. Only 1 really makes a play on the ball, and 3-4 are always just “in the area”.

Overwhelm the OL. Make the QB not be able to get feet set for the 55 yard throw.
Make him have to get rid of it while receivers are still running to the endzone.

No chance of atouchdown......vs a jump ball Hail Mary which could be 50/50.....as WR typically are taller and have better hands than DBs (see DeAndre Hopkins).

We actually ran this vs Dallas last year with CGJ blitzing, untouched, and forced Dak to throw way to early.
Yeah, I think you take the QB into consideration. Dak has wheels and can get away from a basic pass rush and buy some time - but he's a big target, so it makes sense to throw the house at him to force him to throw early. Ryan is older and slower, so you probably play the percentages and determine you get more benefit from having more bodies in the end zone and hope the linemen can get to him.

Where it gets tricky is players like Aaron Rodger, Kyler Murray and Mahomes. The are mobile and have rocket arms. If you blitz and they spin out, they just need a second to rip off a 50-60 yd pass and now there are less defenders protecting the end zone.

It's a tough call. But I think Allen has made the right call the past few Hail Mary attempts.

and if you blitz 7 and the QB dumps the ball to the RB you now have 4 WR to block 4 Dbs.

Congrats...you just increased your chance of a loss exponentially.

gmr- the 20 yard dump off means the player would have to navigate 6 defenders coming to greet him and any LB in pursuit. The DBs would have position because all the WR are in the endzone behind them. ( cant run in front of them to block )

Screen pass might go for 80 yards. I do like the idea of having more people at the line and disguising who is rushing.

Not to be too brash in response, but that's why you're not an NFL DC. Consider this: imagine you think that's the best strategy and therefore implement your strategy consistently. You think take can't easily scheme against all out pressure? It's the riskiest defensive call because you isolate DBs on, generally, more talented WRs. You have an advantage in hail mary situations. QB has to deliver a difficult pass, WR has to catch a heavily contested ball, OL has to hold blocks longer. Why would you concede that advantage and only concentrate on time in the pocket?

Yes, that can work occasionally as long as it's not over used. You do that enough times and you won't be coaching for long. You definitely aren't going to do it when you think your front 4 can get pressure consistently like yesterday.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom