One reason Keith Rivers would be a good pick... (1 Viewer)

Morgan didn't have concussion problems for the past two years. He had a leg injury that kept him out last year, his concussion of two years ago has had all of the two years to heal.

My wish list at 10 in order....

1. Dorsey
2. Gholston
3. Ellis
4. Rivers
5. McFadden
6. DRC/McKelvin/Jenkins

My wish list at 10 in order....

1. Dorsey
2. Gholston
3. Ellis
4. Rivers
5. McFadden
6. DRC/McKelvin/Jenkins

I dont think I want us to pick gholston, Im sure he will be a good player but he just isnt a need guy. If mcfadden for whatever reason is there we should trade out with the highest bidder and I think corner needs more of an upgrade than linebacker at this point

I dont think I want us to pick gholston, Im sure he will be a good player but he just isnt a need guy. If mcfadden for whatever reason is there we should trade out with the highest bidder and I think corner needs more of an upgrade than linebacker at this point

I agree with you, but our FO does not draft for needs. We need CB, DT, S and LBer help on defense, but none of that will matter when we are on the clock, unless we are offered a trade.

In a way, I am kind of feeling what pookie's feeling (though not to the same extent Rivers should be much>shanle).

I like Mayo better than Rivers, based on draft profiles and the games I have watched.

As the draft approaches, I am starting to think that there just aren't any linebackers worth a top 15 pick in this draft. It seems that we are approaching 3 first round linebackers with Rivers, Mayo, and Conner and none of them have set themselves apart nor do any of them look like top ten ground breaking backers.

IMO, Rivers is garnering alot of hype from being at USC (which is absolutely loaded at linebackers and d-lineman) and he wore #55 (which for those outside of USC means absolutely nothing).

If the Saints are going BPA, I think they would pick Ryan Clady, Mendenhall, MCKelvin, possibly Cromartie before they pick Rivers, JMO.

(obviously if any of the big 6-Long, Long, Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, McFadden-dropped, one of them would end up being the pick)

In a way, I am kind of feeling what pookie's feeling (though not to the same extent Rivers should be much>shanle).

I like Mayo better than Rivers, based on draft profiles and the games I have watched.

As the draft approaches, I am starting to think that there just aren't any linebackers worth a top 15 pick in this draft. It seems that we are approaching 3 first round linebackers with Rivers, Mayo, and Conner and none of them have set themselves apart nor do any of them look like top ten ground breaking backers.

IMO, Rivers is garnering alot of hype from being at USC (which is absolutely loaded at linebackers and d-lineman) and he wore #55 (which for those outside of USC means absolutely nothing).

If the Saints are going BPA, I think they would pick Ryan Clady, Mendenhall, MCKelvin, possibly Cromartie before they pick Rivers, JMO.

(obviously if any of the big 6-Long, Long, Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, McFadden-dropped, one of them would end up being the pick)

What's your opinion on the recently released news Charles Davis came up with when talking to Coaches who played against DRC that they knew of him, but made no attempt to throw away from him? I keep seeing people on this board say his lack of stats against that level of competition is because they didn't throw his way....well that seems to not be the case. That's a red flag, IMO.

What if McKenzie isn't able to go? That is more of a pressing need.

When comparing the draft profiles of Rivers and Mayo you have to take into account that Mayo worked out at the combine and has already had his Pro Day. How would you feel if Rivers runs his projected 4.4-4.5 forty? I like Mayo too, but he was the only real star on his defense so his stats are a little inflated. He also played MLB so a lot of his tackles were on runs up the gut. Typically, but not on the Saints, the MLB has the most tackles of anyone on the entire defense. Rivers is not a vulnerability in pass coverage like Maulauga so he played on the weakside. Thus, his tackle numbers are going to be lower.

What if McKenzie isn't able to go? That is more of a pressing need.

Do you honestly think Payton is going to start a rookie CB in the 1st game of the season next year? He never started Young last year, even when David was stinking up the field. If anything, when Payton felt comfortable putting a rookie out there it would probably be later on in the season and McKenzie would be back already. I think we could do a better job of finding a starting quality CB in the 2nd round and signing Ty Law to cover for McKenzie at first, instead of using the 10th pick on someone who isn't ready to step on the field Week One. Let the 2nd round CB learn behind McKenzie, Craft, and possibly Law then give him his chances throughout the season.

Do you honestly think Payton is going to start a rookie CB in the 1st game of the season next year? He never started Young last year, even when David was stinking up the field. If anything, when Payton felt comfortable putting a rookie out there it would probably be later on in the season and McKenzie would be back already. I think we could do a better job of finding a starting quality CB in the 2nd round and signing Ty Law to cover for McKenzie at first, instead of using the 10th pick on someone who isn't ready to step on the field Week One. Let the 2nd round CB learn behind McKenzie, Craft, and possibly Law then give him his chances throughout the season.

Has anyone seen a breakdown on what actually seperates Porter/Cason from DRC/Jenkins/McKelvin/Talib?

Has anyone seen a breakdown on what actually seperates Porter/Cason from DRC/Jenkins/McKelvin/Talib?

From what I have read it seems that the question mark on Cason is his deep speed. Now he did run a 4.45 at the Combine, but according to Lindy's he isn't very fluid. Porter didn't play many games at Indiana and I think that is what is keeping him from being in the top group. Lindy's says he isn't very good in Zone, but what do we care, we run a press coverage, which is where he excels. I would actually like us to take a long look at Porter, more so than Cason, just because he fits our scheme better.

What's your opinion on the recently released news Charles Davis came up with when talking to Coaches who played against DRC that they knew of him, but made no attempt to throw away from him? I keep seeing people on this board say his lack of stats against that level of competition is because they didn't throw his way....well that seems to not be the case. That's a red flag, IMO.

I didn't know that. If thats true, I am sure the Saints already taken into account. All I can say is from the very limited stuff I read and seen that their are 12 to 15 players that I like better than Rivers. As the draft approaches, things will become more clearer for me. My previous post was just my present opinion on the Rivers situation. As somebody said earlier, we going to have to take into account why some players stats may be hyperinflated as compared to others. Eventually we are going to have to balance the number of snaps we predict a particular player will get. For example, if we do keep Deuce and we are confident he is healthy, Rivers would get alot more snaps than a RB, which would essentially push Rivers up the draft board.

Alots going to happen between now and the draft, its just a waiting game.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom