One reason Keith Rivers would be a good pick... (1 Viewer)

TideSaint

All-Pro
Reaction score
I know we got Vilma and Morgan, but if for some reason either one of them is unable to play up to their potential, we could solve possibly two problems with one solution. Rivers played all 3 linebacker positions at the Senior Bowl so to automatically pencil him in as a WLB only is incorrect. However, the thing that will work out best for us if we take him is that if Vilma can't go, Morgan can slide to the middle and Rivers can take over the weakside. If Morgan can't go, Rivers can start at his most natural position. I'm glad we made the moves to upgrade our LBing corps through free agency and the trade, but let's face it, we still have some major question marks regarding the two players we picked up. Rivers would at least answer a few of those questions.

Agreed! This is why I stongly favor drafting Rivers in the 1st or Mayo in the 2nd.

mayo will be gone by our pick in the 2nd

mayo will be gone by our pick in the 2nd

I believe that too, which makes Rivers more attractive in the first. Antoine Cason WILL be there when we draft in the 2nd, and he showed plenty of speed at the combine to put any concerns to rest in my mind. You have to think Tracy Porter will be there as well. I think we can find a starting CB in the 2nd, but not a starting LB. However, if Ellis or Dorsey are still there at 10 then I say screw Rivers and take them.

I believe that too, which makes Rivers more attractive in the first. Antoine Cason WILL be there when we draft in the 2nd, and he showed plenty of speed at the combine to put any concerns to rest in my mind. You have to think Tracy Porter will be there as well. I think we can find a starting CB in the 2nd, but not a starting LB. However, if Ellis or Dorsey are still there at 10 then I say screw Rivers and take them.

I wouldn't be so sure about that on Cason considering his time at the combine. I have a hard time seeing a player of his physical skills falling to #42. A 4 year starter who is 6 foot, runs a 4.48 40, and had 15 INTs on his career.... I don't think he'll fall that far...

Last edited:
Shanle > Rivers

Man you really have a hard-on for bashing Keith Rivers. Didn't someone else ask you if he stole your woman in another thread? Do you actually like the Saints or do you come here to be negative all the time? Scott Shanle is probably the worst starting WLB in the NFL. He couldn't even get on the field in Dallas other than special teams and he certainly didn't do anything last year to warrant any type of accolades. But back to your hatred for
Rivers, you never do seem to give a reason why you think he is bad, other than the total absurd conclusion that he is not athletic, which by the way was the most ridiculous thing I think I have ever seen posted on this board. Every PROFESSIONAL analyst agrees that he is extremely athletic yet you, for some reason, disagree. Why is that? Maybe it's because you are young, but you seriously need to watch more football before you categorize someone like Keith Rivers as unathletic.

I wouldn't be so sure about that on Cason considering his time at the combine. I have a hard time seeing a player of his physical skills falling to #42. A 4 year starter who is 6 foot, runs a 4.48 40, and had 15 INTs on his career.... I don't think he'll fall that far...

Usually he wouldn't, but with DRC, McKelvin, Jenkins, and Talib all being 1st rounders I can can see Cason slipping to us at 41. Since WR not very top heavy I think most of the teams who need one will use their early 2nd round pick on one, leaving us Cason.

Shanle > Rivers

Oh, COME ON! We both know that you don't seem to like athletic, fast, strong, hard-hitting linebackers that can cover, for some reason, but even THAT is below you, man.

Fixed that for you.

No way, Morgan is a Pro-bowl level LB when he is healthy.

But I'm all for taking Rivers at 10, cause it will add depth and possibly he probably will be a starter in the future. He's fast, smart, good character guy and can play at Safety and Defensive End.

of course he won't slip to pick 42, he won't get past us at 40.

No way, Morgan is a Pro-bowl level LB when he is healthy.

And you really believe that his concussion problems for the past two seasons will just magically disappear since he's not with the Panthers anymore? Get real man, Morgan was brought in for linebacker depth and competition. Nothing is guaranteed to him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom