One Year Rental Players. Everson Griffen Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Dleger

Elite Dimensions
Reaction score
It would seem that the Saints have made the most of the cap space by re-signing most of their own players and are waiting on the draft to fill out the remainder of their roster. But!! Many 2020 free agents are signing shorter contracts. There's one player still unsigned that would make the 2020 defense possibly the best the Saints have ever had. I think Everson Griffen could totally transform the defense. Does anyone agree and what's his price tag?

WWCJD?

( what would cam jordan do? )

I think they both want north of $15 million a year. At that price I'd rather Clowney
From an age standpoint, absolutely. Clowney just made 27 and Griffen turns 33 in December.

However from a production standpoint, I'm not sure. Last year Clowney tallied 3 sacks, 13 QB hits, and 7 TFL; Griffen had 8 sacks, 24 QB hits, and 11 TFL. That's a pretty big difference.

If it's just a 1-year deal and depending on what either are asking, we may get more bang for our buck out of Griffen than Clowney and here's my line of thinking behind that.

With the amount of injuries our DL is hampered by at any given moment during a season, Griffen has shown that he can play both outside and inside and is productive at both (as we saw in the playoffs). I don't think we'd have that versatility at our disposal should the injury bug arise if we signed Clowney instead.

Also looking back at Griffen's career best years, the drop off isn't that significant compared to his 2019 campaign:
  • 2014 (16 games): 12.0 sacks, 24 QB hits, 14 TFL
  • 2015 (15 games): 10.5 sacks, 30 QB hits, 14 TFL
  • 2017 (16 games): 13.0 sacks, 25 QB hits, 12 TFL
  • 2019 (15 games): 8.0 sacks, 24 QB hits, 11 TFL
Meanwhile Clowney's drop off last year was a bit more pronounced.
  • 2016 (14 games): 6.0 sacks, 17 QB hits, 16 TFL
  • 2017 (16 games): 9.5 sacks, 21 QB hits, 21 TFL
  • 2018 (15 games): 9.0 sacks, 21 QB hits, 16 TFL
  • 2019 (13 games): 3.0 sacks, 13 QB hits, 7 TFL
Clowney's injury history also has to come into play; Armstead catches flak around here for never playing all 16 games in a season, but Clowney has only done such once himself. Griffen at least has demonstrated the ability to remain relatively healthy. Now will that be the case for either of them in 2020? No one knows for certain, but it's definitely food for thought.

But as others have said, not sure I want to pay $15M/year for a pass rusher that is still looking for his first double digit sack season but at the same time am a bit wary at doling out a similar amount to a guy that's about to be 33.

I would wait until after the draft and sign him for 8 to 10 million on a 1yr deal, you would get the money back at the end of the year. No way anyone pays Clowney or Griffen 15-18 million.

I don’t know what it is, but I never judge a free agent off of prior production when they come to this team. They either become way better or way worse. I mean we have cases like Greer and then we have Byrd. The moral of the story is I would take the player with the better contract every time. With that being said, the guys on this team want to play for each other. I can’t say the same for the squad that Byrd played on. The culture of the team seems to bring out the best in players and I know Clowney would produce as a Saint.

From an age standpoint, absolutely. Clowney just made 27 and Griffen turns 33 in December.

However from a production standpoint, I'm not sure. Last year Clowney tallied 3 sacks, 13 QB hits, and 7 TFL; Griffen had 8 sacks, 24 QB hits, and 11 TFL. That's a pretty big difference.

If it's just a 1-year deal and depending on what either are asking, we may get more bang for our buck out of Griffen than Clowney and here's my line of thinking behind that.

With the amount of injuries our DL is hampered by at any given moment during a season, Griffen has shown that he can play both outside and inside and is productive at both (as we saw in the playoffs). I don't think we'd have that versatility at our disposal should the injury bug arise if we signed Clowney instead.

Also looking back at Griffen's career best years, the drop off isn't that significant compared to his 2019 campaign:
  • 2014 (16 games): 12.0 sacks, 24 QB hits, 14 TFL
  • 2015 (15 games): 10.5 sacks, 30 QB hits, 14 TFL
  • 2017 (16 games): 13.0 sacks, 25 QB hits, 12 TFL
  • 2019 (15 games): 8.0 sacks, 24 QB hits, 11 TFL
Meanwhile Clowney's drop off last year was a bit more pronounced.
  • 2016 (14 games): 6.0 sacks, 17 QB hits, 16 TFL
  • 2017 (16 games): 9.5 sacks, 21 QB hits, 21 TFL
  • 2018 (15 games): 9.0 sacks, 21 QB hits, 16 TFL
  • 2019 (13 games): 3.0 sacks, 13 QB hits, 7 TFL
Clowney's injury history also has to come into play; Armstead catches flak around here for never playing all 16 games in a season, but Clowney has only done such once himself. Griffen at least has demonstrated the ability to remain relatively healthy. Now will that be the case for either of them in 2020? No one knows for certain, but it's definitely food for thought.

But as others have said, not sure I want to pay $15M/year for a pass rusher that is still looking for his first double digit sack season but at the same time am a bit wary at doling out a similar amount to a guy that's about to be 33.

What if Clowneys drop off could be the result of being "the guy" on a weak Seattle front and Grifferson lack of a significant drop off to being the 2nd threat next to Danielle Hunter, aka less attention. Neither are worth ridiculous money for different reasons but I'd be more interested in interior pressure than edge pressure If I'm the Saints and they have two moveable pieces in Jordan already. DT's would be on my radar

What if Clowneys drop off could be the result of being "the guy" on a weak Seattle front and Grifferson lack of a significant drop off to being the 2nd threat next to Danielle Hunter, aka less attention. Neither are worth ridiculous money for different reasons but I'd be more interested in interior pressure than edge pressure If I'm the Saints and they have two moveable pieces in Jordan already. DT's would be on my radar
Well this is why I like griffin. They can move him inside on 3rd downs like the vikes did to us in the playoffs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom