Only 3 SEC teams make the final Top 20 Rankings for 2016 (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the final college football poll (AP), only three SEC teams cracked the Top 20. Alabama finished at #2, LSU at #13, & Florida at #14. Considering that the conference usually has at least 3 teams in the Top 10 throughout most weeks, it surely looks like the SEC underachieved for the year.

But no other conference has to play an SEC schedule. So perhaps the reason for this phenomenon is understandable. :scratch:

The SEC needs to do a better job at developing QB's, plain and simple.

The SEC needs to do a better job at developing QB's, plain and simple.

Perhaps. :scratch:

But there's only one SEC team who I really want to see get this right. :ezbill:

An SEC schedule? You mean a hard schedule, right? Like how Wisconsin had to play Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, and a pretty good Nebraska team that was 6-0 at the time?

The rise of Bama has led to the decline of the SEC, IMO.

When bama goes undefeated or one loss every year it means that everyone else in the SEC will have more losses, at least the west. So one feeds the other type of deal.

Also, with Bama being so good, they have soaked up many of the recruits that maybe 5-7 years ago might have been going to other SEC programs. Look at how many LA kids should be going to LSU but instead go to bama: Landon Collins, Cam Robinson, Hootie Jones, Dylan Moses, Chris Allen, etc., etc., Bama gets to pick and choose the best players from each state that it wants which in turn hurts those other schools. Look, Ruben Foster is from Auburn. You don't think Auburn would have been better with him? Jalen Hurts is from Houston which is A&M and UT territory. It is just the way it is right now.

The SEC was much better overall as a conference when you had LSU, Auburn, FL, and Bama all winning titles in different years. Not just Bama every single year.
The sooner Bama comes back to the pack the better overall the SEC will be.

Sec dominance is a myth.

Bama sucks the air out of the SEC and leaves the rest of us to dream. How many times has it been said here and elsewhere that coaches don't want to coach in the sec because the championship goes through tuscalostoclemson?

And I agree about the qb comment. We need to develop QB's if we want to raise tbe bar.

Quite an accomplishment for Coach O given he had to take over in mid-season with a bad offensive system that could only be tweaked. I hope spect bigger things from the Tigahs next year.

I also think the AP poll is garbage. Power rankings reflect much more closely the reality, and the power polls have 5 SEC teams in the top 20:

ESPN Football Power Index - 2016 - ESPN

This is much more representative of the status of each of the teams at the end of the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom