Only one team has more cap money than the Saints! (1 Viewer)

There are at least 3 starters for the Saints with their eyes on that pile of money - Evans, Smith, and Colston. IMHO they are far better than any street free agents right now, so that money should go toward them.

They do this every year. It has been with Jay Bellamy's contract. He got a crazy bonus if he would have had 100 tackles and made the Pro Bowl or something. If there is one thing you can trust Loomis to do it is manage the cap.

Yep.

I suspect the NFL is going to adjust that carry over likely to reach incentives money rule in the near future. It's kind of warping the salary cap IMO.

I suspect the NFL is going to adjust that carry over likely to reach incentives money rule in the near future. It's kind of warping the salary cap IMO.

Yeah, that loophole needs to be closed (or tightenend) or else the cap is really meaningless.

Wouldn't we have less leverage in extension negotiations if players agents know we have a ton of money and nothing else to spend it on?Shouldn't we have done these extensions as early as possible if we are planning on not spending all the money?

What’s interesting to me is the current available cap for the teams drafting in the top 10 (in draft order):

1) Miami - $21mil
2) St. Louie - $14.6mil
3) ATL - $12.5mil
4) Oaktown - $21mil
5) KC - $30.0mil
6) NYJ - $4.5mil
7) Pats - $10.8mil
8) Balti - $4.7mil
9) Cinci - $13.3mil
10) NOLA - $31.1mil

I know the blockbuster rookie deals come with the the top 5 (even top 3) picks but the caps look a little thin across all the top 10 picks (aside from KC and NOLA and, with NOLA, you could argue it'll be thinner if they get anything done with Colston/Evans/Smith).

Is this typical for this time of year or would ya'll expect to see more/less available dollars available to the teams heading into the draft with a top 10 pick? You gotta imagine a small amouint of cap relative to the draft position influences a team's desire (and the type of deal they are willing a to make) to move down...

More players will be cut in the coming month to make room if they have to have it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom