Only one team has more cap money than the Saints! (1 Viewer)

If you read it carefully, it says figures are of last Thursday... in other words, these were figures before free agency started. It is no current, and I would be surprised if he have more than a third of that left.

BTW cap money can be carried year to year. It's done by signing your special teamers/reserve players to deals with BIG incentives. Say if they get 15 sacks they get an extra 5 million. That money is taken out of the cap. If they fail to meet the incentives, it is given back to the cap for the next year.

Lock up Colston, Smith, and Evans for the next 6 years.

I agree, we must lock them up or Tampa's going to......look at recent history.....last year the Bucs flirted with then Saints' Franchise Player Charles Grant, then signed Jeff Faine hours after he became available. You don't believe that if Colston's not locked up and the Saints are counting on the RFA tag to keep him around that the Bucs aren't going to throw a huge deal at Colston that the Saints can't match (like the old "must play at least 8 games in Tampa" clause) at him. Galloway's 57 years old and Ike Hilliard's 55 replacing either with Colston would please them to no end.

And if not the Bucs the Panthers need another receiver opposite Steve Smith and the Falcons always need good receivers. If we don't pay him someone else will RFA tag or not......

Just remember......if the Saints do not extend the deals of the marquee players you folks speak of, that cap money is lost (or put into Benson's pockets). Cap money is not carried over from year to year.

From the article:
A big chunk of that money comes from the fact the Bucs carried over $13.3 million in cap space from last season. The Bucs were able to do that because they gave out what were defined as “likely to be earned incentives” in certain contracts, but those incentives were never earned by the players. For instance, players such as quarterbacks can be given incentives for special teams performance that are defined as likely to be earned. Because quarterbacks, even backups, rarely play on special teams, those incentives go unused, allowing the team to carryover a credit.

If you read it carefully, it says figures are of last Thursday... in other words, these were figures before free agency started. It is no current, and I would be surprised if he have more than a third of that left.

PJ... Last thursday was March 6th... a week into Free Agency. :)

Looks like Monster contracts a coming... you think you've seen big money... wait and see, it's only going to get bigger. I really hope the Saints don't go cheap and lose our own best players. Has team ownership gone 100% to Rita yet... or is Boogie still part owner? I want to see big and long contracts for Smith, Evans, Brown, Colston, and so on.

I could be wrong but I believe that there is a minimum cap as well. $100 million if I remember correctly.

I agree, we must lock them up or Tampa's going to......look at recent history.....last year the Bucs flirted with then Saints' Franchise Player Charles Grant, then signed Jeff Faine hours after he became available. You don't believe that if Colston's not locked up and the Saints are counting on the RFA tag to keep him around that the Bucs aren't going to throw a huge deal at Colston that the Saints can't match (like the old "must play at least 8 games in Tampa" clause) at him. Galloway's 57 years old and Ike Hilliard's 55 replacing either with Colston would please them to no end.

And if not the Bucs the Panthers need another receiver opposite Steve Smith and the Falcons always need good receivers. If we don't pay him someone else will RFA tag or not......

The NFL has effictevly put an end to those kinds of poison pill contracts. Now the only thing teams can do is to make the money so they can't match it, but with our cap situation, that would be a very hard thing to do.

Jahri Evans, Colston, Will Smith, and probably Jamal Brown.

Jonathan Vilma will need an extension too, and it won't be cheap. I expecting for him to have a monster year and a higher contract then Lance Briggs.

Is there any evidence that the Saints are using this "trick" to carry money over??? It would be smart if they did....I just never heard of this tactic. I know from previous years we've lost the cap room to Benson's pockets.

How in the world do the Cards have $310,000?

Larry Fitzgerald has $16 Million/year against the cap by himself for the next two years. Thats why we heard rumors about the Cards moving him, since everyone we got put together (Vilma, Morgan, Gay, McCray) are cheaper than.

Is there any evidence that the Saints are using this "trick" to carry money over??? It would be smart if they did....I just never heard of this tactic. I know from previous years we've lost the cap room to Benson's pockets.

They do this every year. It has been with Jay Bellamy's contract. He got a crazy bonus if he would have had 100 tackles and made the Pro Bowl or something. If there is one thing you can trust Loomis to do it is manage the cap.

I keep hearing "we aren't on a roll-over plan" and "cap money doesn't carry into the next year", but it does. Andrus just posted one way that cap money carries over, but there is another way as well.

Let's say you go out this year and use up all your cap money. Unless you sign these guys all to 1 year deals, they are going to eat up all of your cap room next year as well. This is how teams like Washington and SF of a few years ago got into trouble. They went out and spent and spent and spent and they created a huge cap mess that effectively hamstrung the whole organization for years. I think we have one of the best front offices in the league at managing the cap. We are going to have money to spend just about every year if the right free agents are out there, but you don't go out and spend just for the sake of spending. What we can now do is use the cap money from this year and give Colston, Evans, Vilma (or whoever we need to lock down) bigger front loaded deals that have huge cap numbers for this year. We make the players happy by getting them cash now while still maintaining our cap flexibility for the future.

It's rumoured the Bucs are so far under the cap because they are planning to deal for WR Larry Fitzgerald. That's super bad news for the rest of the NFC South.

Last edited:
What’s interesting to me is the current available cap for the teams drafting in the top 10 (in draft order):

1) Miami - $21mil
2) St. Louie - $14.6mil
3) ATL - $12.5mil
4) Oaktown - $21mil
5) KC - $30.0mil
6) NYJ - $4.5mil
7) Pats - $10.8mil
8) Balti - $4.7mil
9) Cinci - $13.3mil
10) NOLA - $31.1mil

I know the blockbuster rookie deals come with the the top 5 (even top 3) picks but the caps look a little thin across all the top 10 picks (aside from KC and NOLA and, with NOLA, you could argue it'll be thinner if they get anything done with Colston/Evans/Smith).

Is this typical for this time of year or would ya'll expect to see more/less available dollars available to the teams heading into the draft with a top 10 pick? You gotta imagine a small amouint of cap relative to the draft position influences a team's desire (and the type of deal they are willing a to make) to move down...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom