Onside kick q (1 Viewer)

sidwin

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
In the Atlanta game, can the receiving team instead of catching the ball, can they simply kick it out of bounds? There waste 4 guys there and I can see how they were scared. Would it be a penalty? I’ve seen in the past where they pretend to catch it and let it go out of bounds.

I don’t believe you can intentionally kick it out of bounds. But, 1) they could’ve jumped on it at any time. The receiving team doesn’t have to wait for it to go 10 yards. 2) if the ball is close enough to the sideline, a player that is OOB can touch the ball, making the ball OOB and forcing a penalty on the kicking team.

No the receiving team can't kick the ball or slap the ball out of bounds.

That blunder falls squarely on the Falcons coaching staff for not making sure their players know that the ball doesn't have to travel 10 yards for them to recover, jump on, or advance the ball. That rule only applies to the kicking team. I find it really difficult to believe that the players didn't know it as well.

It's just incredible to me that a team that has had as much success as the Falcons have had at recovering onside kicks when kicking the ball doesn't know the rules that apply when receiving the ball.

Those silly Falcon birds!!

They could have just picked it up without anyone interfering. Only the kicking team has to wait the 10 yds. I believe intentionally kicking it out is a penalty though.

Correct. The kicking team has to wait until the ball travels 10 yds before they can touch it, after that is is a free ball but the kicking has to cover before it goes out of bounds. The receiving team can jump on it or swat it of bounds at anytime. The Falcons special teams coach is the one most responsible for todays screw up. Quinn will likely have a piece of his *** tomorrow.

Correct. The kicking team has to wait until the ball travels 10 yds before they can touch it, after that is is a free ball but the kicking has to cover before it goes out of bounds. The receiving team can jump on it or swat it of bounds at anytime. The Falcons special teams coach is the one most responsible for todays screw up. Quinn will likely have a piece of his *** tomorrow.

Idk if I can blame that on the coach. Any human who has watched a game of football knows that the receiving team can jump on an onside kick at any time. These are professionals. This gaff lies solely on the shoulders of the two guys who stood there and watched as the ball slowly spun past the 10 yard mark. They literally just stood there and waited. Completely their fault.

Maybe the players thought the ball would stop spinning/moving and wouldn't make 10 yards?

I thought there was always planned that a few of the players on the receiving team would block/shield in a way to allow a designated one (like Julio) room to pick up the ball instead of the group think thing going on.

Maybe the players thought the ball would stop spinning/moving and wouldn't make 10 yards?

I thought there was always planned that a few of the players on the receiving team would block/shield in a way to allow a designated one (like Julio) room to pick up the ball instead of the group think thing going on.

That’s what I was thinking. Smart kick by the kicker, knowing that the spin would move it to the right.

Still a bad play by the opponents though!

So Atlanta could have pushed it out of bounds with their hands and not be a penalty but not kick it with their feet? I’ve seen punters bobble kicks and throw the ball away to take the safety instead of losing 6.

maybe the clowns were scared they would be pushed onto the ball before 10 yards.

brings Me to my next question. Can the kicking team push the receiving team onto the ball to make it a live ball?

No the receiving team can't kick the ball or slap the ball out of bounds.

That blunder falls squarely on the Falcons coaching staff for not making sure their players know that the ball doesn't have to travel 10 yards for them to recover, jump on, or advance the ball. That rule only applies to the kicking team. I find it really difficult to believe that the players didn't know it as well.

It's just incredible to me that a team that has had as much success as the Falcons have had at recovering onside kicks when kicking the ball doesn't know the rules that apply when receiving the ball.

Those silly Falcon birds!!

In fairness, I don’t think it’s entirely on the coaches - that’s such a basic rule, I think the players deserve some of the blame for being professional football players and not knowing it. Sure, coaches should have practiced that at some point but also those dudes on the hands team should just know that rule.

brings Me to my next question. Can the kicking team push the receiving team onto the ball to make it a live ball?

No, you can not push a player into the ball.

NFL kickoff rules
1) A player is deemed to have not touched the ball if it is batted or illegally kicked into him by an opponent. Such touching is ignored, though the bat or kick could be a foul for an Illegal Bat or Illegal Kick.

So Atlanta could have pushed it out of bounds with their hands and not be a penalty but not kick it with their feet? I’ve seen punters bobble kicks and throw the ball away to take the safety instead of losing 6.

maybe the clowns were scared they would be pushed onto the ball before 10 yards.

No. Technically, batting the ball is a penalty also. But I don’t think the penalty gives the ball to the other team. It would just allow them to re-kick if they did not get the ball. So what. Keep batting the ball ob until you get an easy one to catch. The rules for kicks really favor the receiving team a lot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom