Onterio McCaleb just beat CJ2Ks 40 time record. (1 Viewer)

I'm pretty sure the whole process is not electonic-timed. The start is hand timed and the finish is electronic. That's what I heard them saying yesterday on NFLN.

So someone manually starts the clock when the player moves and it's automatically stopped when they cross the finish. So there could be human error in the start.

In a track event, the start is when the gun goes off. At the combine, it's when they start to move. That's also part of the reason the NFL numbers are a little faster. It usually gives you a quicker time if you go off of first move versus reacting to a gun.

This is correct. There is still room for human error with the electronic time. But it is much easier to get the start correct than the finish, as they are moving at a slower speed and you only have to react to his first movement.

Being an Auburn fan, I'd pass on McCaleb. He just lacks toughness and seeks the sidelines prematurely. On the other hand, I would love for the Saints to get TE Philip Lutzenkirchen. He would be a perfect compliment to Graham and he would be cheap.

I agree with Lutz and based on his combine, may fall to 6th or 7th round (or go undrafted). He is a pretty good blocker as well. I am not as concerned about McCaleb's toughness or hitting the sidelines (as that tends to be overblown), but moreso with his pass blocking. He will need to improve there for the role he will be asked to perform in the NFL.

This is correct. There is still room for human error with the electronic time. But it is much easier to get the start correct than the finish, as they are moving at a slower speed and you only have to react to his first movement.

Yes, but that error in the start time (the guy timing is reacting to the player just moving) can be 0.1 pretty easily.

Personally it would be better to just use a gun, let that start the clock and the automatic finish line. I mean, in reality a player is reacting to a snapped ball, so that reaction and get off is important. I think that would make it better and more reliable.

Now, I think the simulcast is actually pretty good and can be done accurately. So, when they show guys running and you see two guys run almost the exact same time, I'd give that slightly slower time the benefit of the doubt and match him up with the faster time.

I think actually if the simulcast has a fast enough frame rate, they could line everyone up and get the most accurate 40 times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom