Onterio McCaleb just beat CJ2Ks 40 time record. (1 Viewer)

I'll take hand times over the computer time. The computer times are so arbitrary. Watch NFL network overlay the different runners and they finish at the exact same time despite big time differences. What is that?

you cant be serious?

you cant be serious?

I am. I watch the combine every year. The last few years, they have begun doing simulcast of different players running their 40. They layer the film so that you see two or more players running at the same time. Its blatantly obvious that the electronic times are sporadic. When two players begin at the same time and cross the finish line at the same time, there shouldn't be huge disparities in their finishing time, but it happens.

Couple years ago I think it was Taylor Mays or LaRon Landry one of 'em, a big safety. They ran like a 4.44, but originally ran like a 4.2something. They overlayed their runs with someone who ran a 4.3 and he finished ahead or right there with him.

Thank you. This is just one example of what I'm talking about.

I am. I watch the combine every year. The last few years, they have begun doing simulcast of different players running their 40. They layer the film so that you see two or more players running at the same time. Its blatantly obvious that the electronic times are sporadic. When two players begin at the same time and cross the finish line at the same time, there shouldn't be huge disparities in their finishing time, but it happens.

Thank you. This is just one example of what I'm talking about.

Do you understand how much more room for error there is in the video synching.. than an electronic timer. The problem is the video not the timer. No way will a hand timer be more accurate than an electronic timer. It's just science plan and simple.

I was hoping to nab him in the 7th but this will push him up to the 5th or something....

Being an Auburn fan, I'd pass on McCaleb. He just lacks toughness and seeks the sidelines prematurely. On the other hand, I would love for the Saints to get TE Philip Lutzenkirchen. He would be a perfect compliment to Graham and he would be cheap.

Do you understand how much more room for error there is in the video synching.. than an electronic timer. The problem is the video not the timer. No way will a hand timer be more accurate than an electronic timer. It's just science plan and simple.

Have you seen what I'm talking about?

I'm pretty sure the whole process is not electonic-timed. The start is hand timed and the finish is electronic. That's what I heard them saying yesterday on NFLN.

So someone manually starts the clock when the player moves and it's automatically stopped when they cross the finish. So there could be human error in the start.

In a track event, the start is when the gun goes off. At the combine, it's when they start to move. That's also part of the reason the NFL numbers are a little faster. It usually gives you a quicker time if you go off of first move versus reacting to a gun.

Oh, please, no. That last name being spelled on this forum :covri:
Meachem was here what, 4-5 years and it still got screwed up - and Chase Daniel invariably gets that additional "s" on the end of his name too.

Remember all the variants of Kevin Kaesviharn?

Oh, please, no. That last name being spelled on this forum :covri:

He'll fit in well with Peyton's scheme and could be a favorite target of Bree's, or at least Daniels on the practice field.

Couple years ago I think it was Taylor Mays or LaRon Landry one of 'em, a big safety. They ran like a 4.44, but originally ran like a 4.2something. They overlayed their runs with someone who ran a 4.3 and he finished ahead or right there with him.

Realistically though, how much faster do you think .1 a second is to the human eye in that scenario?

He'll fit in well with Peyton's scheme and could be a favorite target of Bree's, or at least Daniels on the practice field.

To be fair, that at least is an auto correct from using a tablet or phone. Happens to me regularly on the ipad and it's such a pain in the *** to go back and correct text on those things, frankly I just let it go.

Realistically though, how much faster do you think .1 a second is to the human eye in that scenario?
It's usually the difference between a stride or so.

Now I found it. It was Taylor Mays who ran an unofficial 4.24, which was bumped up to a 4.43. A sizable .19 second difference. That's almost two strides behind where he was.

They overlaid him with CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford and others. Ford ran the fastest 40 that year with a 4.28. Spiller ran a 4.37.

Mays was behind Ford but just before Spiller. Mays definitely didn't run a 4.24, but a 4.43 was a bit too low.

Have you seen what I'm talking about?

I have seen the videos, yes.

The problem with hand timers is you can have 4 guys hand timing and they all will get a different number. It is human error. Electronic timers would be the same time no matter how many are there because it is accurate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom