"Oooohhh, he went to Jared" (1 Viewer)

I hate this time of year. My wife has begun leaving ads laying around from the chain jewelry stores. Kay's by the coffee pot, Gordon's by my computer. Drives me crazy.

Have you seen these commercials for Jared Jewelrers where the guy buys the girl some jewelry and everyone goes gah-gah over where he bought it? Well, today "oohhh, I went to Jared" to have my wife's wedding ring fixed. It got misshapen, turning from round to oval over the years(almost 14 now). So, these Jared people tell me it's gonna be $238 to fix the ring because the mounts for the diamonds need to be replaced. Yeah right, like I'm gonna pay that. So I take it to a Fast-Fix Jewelry repair in the mall and it's round again and all shiny for $30.

"Oooohhh, he went to Jared and got ripped off"

It might be as easy as the people who work at Jared are on a different level with craftsmenship and get paid more because of that which drove the price up.

Better Craftsmenship = higher cost

I don't know this to be true, just guessing. In my line of work things look very similar and a lot of the time one is priced much higher and people can't understand why until I sit there and explain several craftsmenship and product charachteristic differences between the two.

I tell everyone My Jared story......When my wife and I were talking about getting married we went engagement ring shopping. We went to Jared and we were looking around.

The sales person came over and started his routine. Well my wife saw a ring she liked and he said, "oh this is a great ring and went on and on about it. He looked at me and said, "well maybe one day you will be able to afford this ring, but let me show you some others in your price range."

I don't think I could have turned a deeper red. My wife looked at me and saw the smoke coming out. This guy didn't know me from Adam and he thinks I can't afford his precious Jared ring? Mind you were weren't dressed up but we didn't look like white trash either. I was wearing nice jeans and a nice button down and I was about to rip the shirt off and tear this guy up.

Well my wife had to force me out of the store, I didn't say anything....yet. We could not believe the nerve of this guy. Well two days later I purchased a ring for my wife that i had previously picked out a week earlier at another jeweler (who will remain nameless) It was two and a half times the carat weight of his precious Jared diamond ring and about three times as much.

I preceded to go back to Jared's dressed the exact same way I was when we visited when he was there and he was there again that day. I brought alone the ring I bought along with the receipt. I went up to him and asked him if he remembered me. He said, he did and if I was interested in a ring. I said let me look at that first one again. He again said, "Sir this ring is clearly out of your price range." I said "oh really and pulled out the ring and receipt I bought from the other jeweler(which was paid in full no credit for me thank you) and said "I guess this wasn't out of my price range.....oh and by the way I would love to speak with your manager, but please hurry I don't have a lot of time as I said this I exposed my rolex watch." He really ticked me off, otherwise I wouldn't do this. I have been blessed in my life and I don't flaunt it...that rolex was a graduation gift from college from my folks, I would have never spent the money on one of those myself and the only time I wear it is on special occasions but I felt this was one, LOL.

He was angry and didn't want to get his manager but he did and I explained exactly what had happened. The manager was very apologetic and asked what could be done to rectify the situation....I said I didn't want anything from them, but said maybe they should train their people to not judge a book by it's cover.

Just because I was in a suit and tie when I walked in there didn't mean I couldn't afford anything and I was not trashy looking whatsoever the salesman was very snooty and rude to say the least.

The funny thing is my wife still doesn't know I went back there to confront the jerk at Jared's. Needless to say they don't get any business from me.

Last edited:
It might be as easy as the people who work at Jared are on a different level with craftsmenship and get paid more because of that which drove the price up.

Better Craftsmenship = higher cost

I don't know this to be true, just guessing. In my line of work things look very similar and a lot of the time one is priced much higher and people can't understand why until I sit there and explain several craftsmenship and product charachteristic differences between the two.

I vote for they charge more because they want people to think that they are better craftsmen. People see a high price and often assume that equals higher quality.

I tell everyone My Jared story......When my wife and I were talking about getting married we went engagement ring shopping. We went to Jared and we were looking around.

The sales person came over and started his routine. Well my wife say a ring she liked and he said, "oh this is a great ring and went on and on about it. He looked at me and said, "well maybe one day you will be able to afford this ring, but let me show you some others in your price range."

I don't think I could have turned a deeper red. My wife looked at me and saw the smoke coming out. This guy didn't know me from Adam and he thinks I can't afford his precious Jared ring? Mind you were weren't dressed up but we didn't look like white trash either. I was wearing nice jeans and a nice button down and I was about to rip the shirt off and tear this guy up.

Well my wife had to force me out of the store, I didn't say anything....yet. We could not believe the nerve of this guy. Well two days later I purchased a ring for my wife that i had previously picked out a week earlier at another jeweler (who will remain nameless) It was two and a half times the carat weight of his precious Jared diamond ring and about three times as much.

I preceded to go back to Jared's dressed the exact same way I was when we visited when he was there and he was there again that day. I brought alone the ring I bought along with the receipt. I went up to him and asked him if he remembered me. He said, he did and if I was interested in a ring. I said let me look at that first one again. He again said, "Sir this ring is clearly out of your price range." I said "oh really and pulled out the ring and receipt I bought from the other jeweler(which was paid in full no credit for me thank you) and said "I guess this wasn't out of my price range.....oh and by the way I would love to speak with your manager, but please hurry I don't have a lot of time as I said this I exposed my rolex watch." He really ticked me off, otherwise I wouldn't do this. I have been blessed in my life and I don't flaunt it...that rolex was a graduation gift from college from my folks, I would have never spent the money on one of those myself and the only time I wear it is on special occasions but I felt this was one, LOL.

He was angry and didn't want to get his manager but he did and I explained exactly what had happened. The manager was very apologetic and asked what could be done to rectify the situation....I said I didn't want anything from them, but said maybe they should train their people to not judge a book by it's cover.

Just because I was in a suit and tie when I walked in there didn't mean I couldn't afford anything and I was not trashy looking whatsoever the salesman was very snooty and rude to say the least.

The funny thing is my wife still doesn't know I went back there to confront the jerk at Jared's. Needless to say they don't get any business from me.

That is incredibly lame/rude.

I vote for they charge more because they want people to think that they are better craftsmen. People see a high price and often assume that equals higher quality.

that's definately true......I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt whenever possible or unless it's my money.:hihi:

>>Happily, my wife despises those commercials because of the snootiness of them.

9446.jpg

Again not to come across as jewelry snob, but you'd be amazed to see the quality of stones that come into my dad's shop once they are put under his microscope and on the monitor. Typically from Zales and mall type stores.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA that dummy went to Jared. You're screwed now buddy. you got screwed on the ring, and you are gonna get screwed in the divorce. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Jared!!!!!

Man, I think ring shopping might be in my near future, and I'm getting nervous reading this thread.

Me or him, LOL........I am really laid back and usually let things slide but this just side swiped me and I had to do something.

Oh him completely.. sorry if that was misleading.

I think what you did was allsome! :9:

Again not to come across as jewelry snob, but you'd be amazed to see the quality of stones that come into my dad's shop once they are put under his microscope and on the monitor. Typically from Zales and mall type stores.

I bought my wifes ring in Chicago when we lived there and I formed a friendship with a guy that owned a jewelry store.....he loved New Orleans and Boudin....and he would show me all of the different diamonds under the microscope and the different imperfections......cool stuff.

It is easy to cheat people out of money with diamonds...you have t make sure you know your stuff when buying one.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA that dummy went to Jared. You're screwed now buddy. you got screwed on the ring, and you are gonna get screwed in the divorce. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Jared!!!!!

i agree

those commercials make me sad, because they remind me of something in human nature i'd rather not consider too much.

But that's true about nearly all jewelry commercials, from the DeBeers brainwashing all the way over to the other end of the hifalutin spectrum.

Of course people do buy jewelry for great reasons -- they do it all the time. But the tack for SELLING jewelry is so often "envy", "lust", or "guilt".

That Jared commercial where they send the picture-message and ask if her new fiance has any brothers? why don't they just show the girlfriends leaning into car doors, asking if anyone wants to party? gross.

The one where he buys the approval of her family at holiday time, just because he hung some Jared hunk of tin on her. That one creeps me out, too. If i went to holiday dinner flashing some item my man had bought me, the display would be taken as rudely as it should be.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom