Open Letter to Charles Grant (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Dear Mr. Grant,

I know that you are going to be a free agent at the end of the season. Please do not leave us.

You are my favorite player on the team. I wear your jersey with pride every Sunday. Trying to imagine the Saints without you is downright depressing. I know that this is a business, and I know that you have to watch out for your best interests. I could never ask you to not earn what is rightfully yours. However what I will do is ask you to remember how much you mean to all of us and this organization. I will ask you to remember the years of pain and frustration that we all lived through together. And now I will ask you to think of this year, and think towards the future. Although Sunday wasn’t the happiest day of the year with the loss to the Redskins, we did lock up the NFC South! And you are a HUGE part of that. This team is on the rise – we have something special going on and are building a very bright future here in New Orleans.

You solidify our line. We all recognize that you are not just a sack master, but can play the run as well as anyone. The tenacity with which you attack opposing tackles is amazing. I remember reading the article a few years ago where you told the writer where you gather that anger, and I remember feeling for you.

Mr. Grant, it’s no secret that you will be highly sought after in this offseason. However please consider what you mean to us and this city as you make your decision.

Thank you,

Swilling56

Now print it and mail it to:

Charles Grant c/o New Orleans Saints
5800 Airline Drive
Metarie, La 70003

I like Charles but he takes plays off......this last game he got outplayed badly.

If he wants to come back at a reasonable price....I say keep him. If he wants Top 5 Money....I say let him go. I trust Sean Payton to get an acceptable replacement.

takes plays off???? ive never noticed this. he is probably the most consistant defender we have and it will hurt our team if he leaves.

takes plays off???? ive never noticed this. he is probably the most consistant defender we have and it will hurt our team if he leaves.
Scott Fujita has taken that spot in my opinion. I love Charles Grant though, and I definitely want to re-sign him this offseason. If the price is ridiculously high (what other top DEs will be available in free agency?) then it may be difficult. Regardless, Charles Grant is one of those guys that I will always see as a New Orleans Saint, like Deuce McAllister and Joe Horn.

I like Charles but he takes plays off......this last game he got outplayed badly.

If he wants to come back at a reasonable price....I say keep him. If he wants Top 5 Money....I say let him go. I trust Sean Payton to get an acceptable replacement.

Name me one player that didn't get outplayed last week?

On him taking plays off.... Um, not.......... Charles consistently gets pressure on the QB. He may not always make the sack but he is consistently around the QB. He is also one of the best run defending DE's out there. He is a very ballanced DE, something you need. Will Smith is obviously great, but you need another guy across from him and Grant definitly deserves to be here and IMHO needs to be here.

Charles Grant has given 100% to this team form the first day he put on the black and gold. He is a solid defender that deserves to be in the ProBowl in my opinion. That guy is no slacker, he's a bull, and I hope he never leaves us.

He also is out there defending a pass against the tight end from time to time. Grant should be retained unless he has a Scott Boras-type of agent that inflates his market value. The Saints should pay him fairly and make every effort to retain their core players. There is a lot to be said for letting other players know that if you perform, you will be paid accordingly to stay right here.

Just take a look at the last 2 big named DEs we had... Joe Johnson went to GB never to be heard of again... and Darren Howard has been silent. The same just might happen to Charles Grant once he leaves N.O.

Give him top between top 10 - 15 DE money... if he wants top 5 let him bounce. Ninkovich would do just good as a starter.

I personally think he's the most over-rated Saint on the roster. Torch me if you must... but that's just how I feel.

Just take a look at the last 2 big named DEs we had... Joe Johnson went to GB never to be heard of again... and Darren Howard has been silent. The same just might happen to Charles Grant once he leaves N.O.

Give him top between top 10 - 15 DE money... if he wants top 5 let him bounce. Ninkovich would do just good as a starter.

I personally think he's the most over-rated Saint on the roster. Torch me if you must... but that's just how I feel.
i don't know about the *most* overrated, but i tend to agree with you

He also is out there defending a pass against the tight end from time to time. Grant should be retained unless he has a Scott Boras-type of agent that inflates his market value. The Saints should pay him fairly and make every effort to retain their core players. There is a lot to be said for letting other players know that if you perform, you will be paid accordingly to stay right here.

This is the whole point of my post. If he wants top five money he simply isn't worth it and should be allowed to hit the open market.

Charles is a great player......but he isn't even the best DE on our team now.

As far as Ninko......I haven't seen enough from him yet. If they let Charles go, I hope we go out and get the top FA out there at DE.

For a D that's needs to improve to let Grant go would be insane. Who would be his replacement and how much would we have to pay that person? It's easy to say he's not top 5 pay, but are we going to replace him with a top 5 player or a top 20 player. Our D has too many holes (DT, MLB, & CB) already to create another.

Let's not forget that the downfall of Haslett was never improving the D. We MUST learn from his mistakes. This off season has to be about strengthening our D and Grant will play a BIG role in that process.

I think if you take away Grant you take away a Def. leader. Someone this team needs on the D-line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom