Opera (1 Viewer)

Claw

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Anyone using Opera over Firefox? Any reason not to use it (security or stability?) I've used Opera in the past, pre-2000, but been using Netscape/Firefox ever since. I've just installed it and so far I really like what I see. Anyone has any comments/suggestions on addon/setups?

other than things are written in general to look right on IE, and then firefox, opera is usually an afterthought when trying to make it look right. Actually, with things starting to be coded for ie7, opera would probably look more right on websites.
there are some things I use opera for to find out why something isn't working on the website.. as it gives more infor, such as all the links on page, all the form stuff, and has ability to use diff css and such.
Older versions of it, allowed you to pick which browser to emulate which was nice too.
I much prefer using it for a page mostly of graphics, since you can size them. instead of that autosize in ie. like for browsing sales adds. you can't see them they are microsized in ie.. pop up opera and see them full size. also has a nice little RSS package.

As a Web developer, I can tell you that more and more developers are going to standards based design (in other words, designing based on the W3 Consortium determined standards rather than designing directly for a browser). There is more and more pressure for the browser companies to make their browsers standards compliant and they are moving in that direction.

Opera is 100% Standards compliant. Firefox is very close (and is dedicated to hitting 100%). Internet Explorer.... ummmm... not so much.

So why use Opera? To help put more pressure on the others, specifically MS, to actually comply to standards. MS says they're trying to get there, but there's still a major glitch in the way IE deals with certain code.

So what are developers really doing? I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I and most other developers I know develop to Standards first, testing in Opera, Firefox and Safari. Then, we put in code to test for IE and adjust if someone's using that browser (which really isn't very hard to do).

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are using it 100% of the time now. I like all of the little features in it, and they also don't seem labor intensive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom