[opinion] Saints should shift focus from DB (1 Viewer)

Witchdoctor504

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's my opinion from Asomugha, to a pass rusher, weather it be at OLB or DE.
My thought behind this is simple, When a quarterback has all day to throw the ball even the pro bowl CB will get toasted. I'm not saying we have a great defensive backfield but at this point with the addition of Lewis we are better. And with our limited cap space we need to address the pass rush. I would really like to bring in Dumerville (sp?) or Freeney, Even Harrison. Currently only the ravens have Elvis scheduled for a visit, and they are I. About the same cap hell as we are.

Asomugah + Lewis in press coverage = tons of blitzing which = improved pass rush.

That seems to be the route we're going.

Asomugah + Lewis in press coverage = tons of blitzing which = improved pass rush.

That seems to be the route we're going.

This, for the press blitz to work u need very good man press corners, and pretty good pass rushers, not excellent since u are sending an extra rusher, hence the term blitz.

I think we are pursuing players Rob Ryan is asking for. I don't think they are just arbitrarily going after these positions. He knows what his scheme needs to be successful. Apparently great cornerbacks are what makes his scheme tick.

As much as I would love to have Asomugha, how much longer can we wait for him to make up his mind? We have other needs that must be addressed and he seems in no hurry to make up his mind.

I think we should be focusing on a playmaker in the secondary and that would be one Ed Reed.

I understand the logic of having press cover, but it would not address the running game. What I mean by that is if you have two great corners, they can run instead. If we have a solid front 3, that takes away the run (hopefully) AND helps with the pass defense due to shorter time for the QB. 2 birds one stone kinda thing.

At this point, I don't really care which way they go as long as this D is MUCH improved.

We have some unknowns as we dont know what we will get from Martez and Jr as we switch to the 3-4.

I doubt though any deal with Asomugha is slowing up any other position signing. If Asomugha is a break the bank contract we arent going to sign him anyway.

I think we are just taking our time and getting value out of Free Agency where ever we can. We need both starters and depth at a price that is a deal.

Rob Ryan has always signed/drafted corners early at every stop he's been in. In Oakland, Cleveland, and Dallas.

It's clear that he values the position greatly.

Focus on Asomugha as a FA and then draft a pass rusher. The DB's in the top half of the draft are underwhelming to say the least but it's pretty deep in the pass rusher department.

Harrison will want more money than we will be able to provide on a short contract and Dumervil probably priced himself out of our range. At least we will be able to give Asomugha a 2-3 year contract and spread out the money better than we could Harrison.

A couple extra blockers can stop a pass rush... that's why you need good cover corners on the back-end. I love that they're addressing it with top-tier players too rather than fodder from the end of someone's practice squad roster.

I understand the logic of having press cover, but it would not address the running game. What I mean by that is if you have two great corners, they can run instead. If we have a solid front 3, that takes away the run (hopefully) AND helps with the pass defense due to shorter time for the QB. 2 birds one stone kinda thing.

At this point, I don't really care which way they go as long as this D is MUCH improved.

It's going to be tough for opponents to run when the Saints offense is clicking now that we have Payton back. When this team is rolling, our opponents are usually playing catch-up most of the game.

In my opinion we need to add and subtract both a corner and a safety before adding a linebacker and then done with FA.

I never thought we would "need" an offensive tackle, wasn't really on the offseason radar. This is an important draft.

It's going to be tough for opponents to run when the Saints offense is clicking now that we have Payton back. When this team is rolling, our opponents are usually playing catch-up most of the game.

This. I was OK with the premise of this thread, as it is a valid opinion, but I believe this is what the Saints are going for. If teams are often forced to pass on us, it's great to have some excellent corners.

The shift to the 3-4 alone should improve our passrush. Not just because Galette and Tez will be on the field but the Angles that the 3-4 allows you to rush from are more favorable than they are in the 4-3.

I see your concern but even if we didn't add anyone our passrush (in theory) should improve just from that. Though im not arguing that we shouldn't be searching for a passrusher but having 2 good corners on the outside helps just as much.

Take teh Jets for instance.....they haven't had a passrusher since who knows when but they've had Cromartie and Revis for a while now and it helped cover up the fact that their passrush wasn't elite. A lot of what the Jets have done has been more scheme than anything. Thats just my opinion though....i could be soo wrong.

Also you forgot we need to get bigger@ Corner Still...signing Nnamdi would give us 2 big corners on the outside which should lead to more success in our division against bigger wideouts..and the path to the SB is thru your own Division.

So i think we are doing what we need to do to compete for a title. Also did i mention we hired Rob Ryan?? He should be able to scheme a little pressure too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom