Opponents poking holes in Sants screen game - Holder (1 Viewer)

We used to run the screen at least once a drive many time multiple times a drive, thank god we stopped. That way when we actually need it, it might work again.

Run the screen out of a tackle eligible formation, so if the RB is not open on one side, then The eligible tackle on the other side most likely would be since the defence might not really pay attention to him. Last sunday the Titans tackle was wide open a play action pass and walked in the endzone for a TD with no defender near him.

Pierre Thomas was the best I have ever seen at running the screen. With PT gone I don't think the screen pass in the Saints offense will ever be as effective as it was.
The guy had the absolute most patience of any rb we've ever had for screens. He would wait until his blockers were in place and attack at just the right angle. The spin move was killer too. Ingram isn't as fluid a runner as PT was. Sproles was probably just slightly below PT in that area, except he took off like a bottle rocket once blocking was in place.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This has been the case since the latter half of 2011. It got to the point where it seemed every pass was to Graham or a screen. Now we don't have Graham and we don't have a screen game because everybody has planned for it.

Fify

Remember the playoff game in SF, they "killed the head" with the head shot on PT who had recently had a concussion, taking him out of the game(iirc). They had figured us out, and it never was quite as effective after that game.

I wish I had videos to show y'all but back in he day when we ran screens our o-line had a way of throwing the defensive line out of the way. I remember Jahri Evans was really good at it and now the defenders stick to them while they're trying to disengage.

Our offense is strong enough to make up for it in other areas now, but I miss the 2009/2011 run game more then the screen game. We haven't run a game to 0:00 in the fourth in a long time and I think that has more importance then a one read pass play.
That's a good point, which is why I hope Landon Turner works out. He is supposedly a pretty good run blocker, which is all our screen game is really.

I think Lasco would be good at them if he had more opportunities

Not sure why we as Saints fans are holding out hope on marginal players. Letting Sproles go was a truly horrific decision and throwing to the backs as a weapon has been absent in this offense (coinciding with the departure of PT).

It is what made a good offense into an almost unstoppable offense (see points scored in 2009 and 2011 seasons).

What Ingram said.
I've been able to pre-diagnose the screen coming EVERY SINGLE TIME for the past 2 years.

A lot of us have identified situationally and formationally that it will be a screen at times. My wonder is, what is the "tell" that is making it so obvious for opposing defenses?

Pierre Thomas was the best I have ever seen at running the screen. With PT gone I don't think the screen pass in the Saints offense will ever be as effective as it was.

Yes. God love him, he scored in the super bowl.

Pierre Thomas always fascinated me. He wasn't particularly fast. And didn't run through tackles. But he had amazing balance and tackles seemed more to just roll off him. And yeah, his vision was exemplary.

PT had several things that made him perfect for a screen.
1) The way he casually slipped out for the screen at the last second.
2) He caught the ball smooth and tucked it quickly with his shoulders and hips headed up field.
3) Great vision and patience.
4) almost always made the first person miss.

Ingram does/has none of those.

Cadet is much smoother but teams know he's not going to run the ball and rarely lines up in the backfield so its a red flag when he runs the screen.

Hightower is probably best suited unless Lasco can get worked in the offense more.

A guy that reminds me a lot of PT and is a free agent is Roy Helu. He would be great for that role except we have 5 RB's on the roster.

Add to that PT could pass protect and run between the tackles so when he was in the game defenses couldn't just key on the screen. I miss PT23 more than any other Saint.

they need to use more draws out of the wide shotgun look, it has worked well this year

We don't have a running back who is a consistent threat in the passing game.

All our RB's are good in space, so I think that has more to do with the O line than the RB's. I'm not seeing our OL getting quickly downfield like they did for Pierre.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom