Opportunity to move to NY (1 Viewer)

Whether it works out or not, COO will look good on your resume.

Probably not a option but I would move solo and travel back home to visit the family, like an above poster does.

My company is based out of New York and the owner called me yesterday and asked if I would be interested in moving up there to spend 2 years in the NY office then take over the COO position when the guy retires. I would be moving to the Westchester County area. I am the VP of Business Development and travel throughout the country every other week to our 8 different offices. It would be less travel but suit and tie everyday at the office as opposed to working out of my house. We are if not the largest interior contractor in North America we are number 2. Wife is ready to go. I have 2 kids 11 and 9 that I'm worried about. Huge move but definitely puts retirement in check as I get small % of ownership that can increase every year. Anyone have experience living in that area. I'm there a lot but I'm sure it would be culture shock for family. We have floor seats for nets, and great seats for all sports. Really torn. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was born in Westchester County, moved to NJ when I was 10. I loved growing up there and your kids will too.

I would echo the sentiments in the thread. If mama is on board, then that is more than half the battle.

I would just double check on the financial package. NYC area is bloody expensive, with a huge tax burden (state income tax, local property tax, sometimes local income tax), etc. Real estate will likely be much pricier than North Shore (depending on location, school system, etc). If the raise covers all that and allows you to live in a comparable house to LA, then its a no-brainer. Just make sure you dont end up moving from a nice spread where the kids can ride bikes around the neighborhood to a townhouse in Yonkers.

I would say Yes but make sure you get a very, very good package.

I lived further up the Hudson in Troy for two years and loved it. The northeast is amazing for how close you are to so many places like NYC, Boston, Philly, etc.

Weekend trips to some of the most amazing historical and entertaining locations in the country are super cheap because you can just drive out there. In New Orleans, unless youre going to Texas, or the Gulf, you either need to fly or take a full day for travel.

Someone I knew worked in NY for about 10 years and said it was perfect for his career: he got a huge bump to go there and worked for 10 years or so building his salary, so that when he was ready to move, his salary history meant he could take a paycut when he moved back to Louisiana but still live like a king on that salary. He said if he had stayed in Louisiana and doubled the raise percentages he got in NY, he would have about 40% LESS than the salary he ended up with when he moved back. He said even when it was a struggle at times in NY is was worth it in the long run.

We lived up in the northern NJ area for 14 years before moving back south. There are many days I wish we were still there, especially as my kids get older. I think about how they would enjoy those day trips into NYC, or the weekend trips to DC or Boston; how much we'd all enjoy four real seasons of the year. Do it. I'd jump on that opportunity in a heartbeat.

I'll get a raise plus cost of living increase. I guess my biggest concern is raising kids up there. The northshore area (covington/mandeville) is a different world compared to there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. They'll catch up. The best schools in Mandeville cant compare to the educational system in New York. Totally different standards as to what passes as education. Go. The kids will be fine.

Someone I knew worked in NY for about 10 years and said it was perfect for his career: he got a huge bump to go there and worked for 10 years or so building his salary, so that when he was ready to move, his salary history meant he could take a paycut when he moved back to Louisiana but still live like a king on that salary. He said if he had stayed in Louisiana and doubled the raise percentages he got in NY, he would have about 40% LESS than the salary he ended up with when he moved back. He said even when it was a struggle at times in NY is was worth it in the long run.

And that right there is huge in it's own right. Resume and salary booster regardless.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom