Opportunity to move to NY (2 Viewers)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My company is based out of New York and the owner called me yesterday and asked if I would be interested in moving up there to spend 2 years in the NY office then take over the COO position when the guy retires. I would be moving to the Westchester County area. I am the VP of Business Development and travel throughout the country every other week to our 8 different offices. It would be less travel but suit and tie everyday at the office as opposed to working out of my house. We are if not the largest interior contractor in North America we are number 2. Wife is ready to go. I have 2 kids 11 and 9 that I'm worried about. Huge move but definitely puts retirement in check as I get small % of ownership that can increase every year. Anyone have experience living in that area. I'm there a lot but I'm sure it would be culture shock for family. We have floor seats for nets, and great seats for all sports. Really torn. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My company is based out of New York and the owner called me yesterday and asked if I would be interested in moving up there to spend 2 years in the NY office then take over the COO position when the guy retires. I would be moving to the Westchester County area. I am there VP of Business Development and travel throughout the country every other week to our 8 different offices. It would be less travel but suit and tie everyday at the office as opposed to working out of my house. We are if not the largest interior contractor in North America we are number 2. Wife is ready to go. I have 2 kids 11 and 9 that I'm worried about. Huge move but definitely puts retirement in check as I get small % of ownership that can increase every year. Anyone have experience living in that area. I'm there a lot but I'm sure it would be culture shock for family. We have floor seats for nets, and great seats for all sports. Really torn. Thoughts?

I was all excited that you'd have to move to Brooklyn and get all hipster/liberal then saw it was Westchester -oh well, you'll be able to hold onto most of your leanings up there:ezbill:

but seriously, this isn't really even a question is it? of course you go -you'll be 2-4 hours away from almost anything (except good shrimping spots), and your kids will have more access/choices than they would down here (i'm not bagging "down here" just saying Westchester is connected)

I don't really see any reason not to - even if cost of living is a factor. Unless you don't want COO?

I'll get a raise plus cost of living increase. I guess my biggest concern is raising kids up there. The northshore area (covington/mandeville) is a different world compared to there.

I don't really see any reason not to - even if cost of living is a factor. Unless you don't want COO?

I'll get a raise plus cost of living increase. I guess my biggest concern is raising kids up there. The northshore area (covington/mandeville) is a different world compared to there.

I haven't lived there, but you're right - it's a different world compared to Mandeville or Covington. I think your kids will be just fine. I don't think you're facing a significant decline in safety, if that's what you're worried about, and (at the risk of getting all liberal on you) I think exposure to more cultural, racial, and ethnic diversity than typically found on the Northshore (which I'm not knocking by any means) is a good thing for kids to be exposed to.

I went to school in NJ and I have an aunt that's lived in Greenwich my whole life. I've spent a bunch of time in and around there and it's nice. It all depends on where, exactly, you are and how much you're being paid. When we were working up in LI and NJ in 2013 I spent a little time there, but mostly in Long Island areas.

It's cold. It's expensive. The accents are weird. The people are reasonably nice, but certainly not La.

For me, It would have to involve a big pay day on the order of 3-4 times what I make now.

Good luck. If you do decide to go, there is a whole world of opportunity for you and your kids to enjoy.

I was going to ask your age, then I realized it does not matter. You have an opportunity most don't get, consider, let alone look for. Take the position and broaden your (and your family's) horizons. You can always return.

I was going to ask your age, then I realized it does not matter. You have an opportunity most don't get, consider, let alone look for. Take the position and broaden your (and your family's) horizons. You can always return.

43 on Saturday so I'm still young for the job. Still long time to work

I was all excited that you'd have to move to Brooklyn and get all hipster/liberal then saw it was Westchester -oh well, you'll be able to hold onto most of your leanings up there:ezbill:

but seriously, this isn't really even a question is it? of course you go -you'll be 2-4 hours away from almost anything (except good shrimping spots), and your kids will have more access/choices than they would down here (i'm not bagging "down here" just saying Westchester is connected)

Funny you said this because I always say I've never met a democrat in NY. Must be the area!

Congratulations, man, that's awesome. As someone already said, what a great opportunity. It will definitely broaden your family's horizons!

Westchester is the area for people who refuse to suburb in L.I. Will you be working in the city or out there?

We lived across in Fairfield County for 8 or so years. Your kids will love it. Get a membership to the Bronx Zoo and the Liberty Science Center. If your wife has never lived outside of Louisiana, she'll need to be prepared to deal with people who make assumptions based on that fact. Good luck!

It is .

But your kids will assimilate quickly and they can still hold onto that southern charm.

They will be fine. They will get to experience new people, new ideas etc.

You would be silly to pass on this.

You can get seafood shipped nowadays when Easter rolls around and that pot just sitting in garage and neighbors will love you lolol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Westchester is the area for people who refuse to suburb in L.I. Will you be working in the city or out there?

Office is in the Pelham area. People are telling me it's great location and I could live outside westchester even into CT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom