Orlando Apollos Game. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
FL_Saint

FL_Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Actually, the Orlando logo looks much better than most of the rest. But what I'm wondering is whether they are named after Apollo the Sun God or the Apollo space program. There was a retired astronaut who brought the ball to the field to start the game. I suppose they could be named after both.
I thought the Atlanta Legends logo looked terrible... especially the emblem on the helmet! It just looked cheap and not well thought out!
I think the team is definitely named after Apollo the Sun God. When the name was announced, I remember the news also attributed it to the Apollo space program.

From Wiki . . .

The team's name is inspired by the Greek god Apollo and his and Florida's connections to the Sun, while the team's colors orange and navy are tributes to Florida's sunshine and the Apollo program, respectively. The helmet depicts Apollo shooting a bow-and-arrow as he is commonly pictured as an archer.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Looking forward to the Memphis game today since its' talent region includes Louisiana and one of its' NFL teams is the Saints.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be watching one of the games tonight on the NFL Network. I watched the end of the SD/SA game last night and liked what I saw. If this could be a testing ground for some of the new ideas that could bring about changes to the NFL in a positive way, I'm all for it.

I'm still sore about how the season ended, but if the rules change to where plays like that can be reviewed or overturned by the "sky official" than I hope it gets implemented sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, the NFL usually a bit slow to make these kinds of changes, so it might be years before this comes to fruition.

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Surprised Biloxi didn't try get in on this. They got the perfect climate for outdoor football this time of year.

They still stuck with that ridiculous 50 million dollar minor league baseball stadium that only hold 7,000 people. ... Which is ridiculous.... And those awful roads on the east side.

The football town with no upper level football. Sad stuff..

Witchdoctor504

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
since its' talent region includes Louisiana and one of its' NFL teams is the Saints.
Please explain this because I can’t find any info on this, just what was mentioned in an interview once, Also what do you mean by one of its teams are the Saints? Are these teams assigned to NFL teams like AAA baseball, because I have never heard that.

zatsnzapps

Do you have a pwobwem...?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Bawlmer, Merlyn via Birmingham and Metairie/Kenner
Please explain this because I can’t find any info on this, just what was mentioned in an interview once, Also what do you mean by one of its teams are the Saints?
Here's the list of all the colleges to the AAF teams:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/7/14/17569312/alliance-of-american-football-chooses-unique-method-of-filling-the-rosters-g5-college-ncaa-cfb-fcs

Here's the relationship of the 4 NFL and 1 CFL teams to the Memphis Express:

In addition, player rights from unaffiliated colleges would move onto their most recent pro football experience. For this, Memphis controls the Tennessee Titans, New Orleans Saints, Indianapolis Colts, Cincinnati Bengals, and Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL).
http://flurrysports.org/aaf-team-previews-memphis-express/

Witchdoctor504

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks I did some digging and found it too. I think it’s a really great idea. The AAF has some really good ideas. Wish we had a local team... a team a little closer.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'll have to track down a stream of the Memphis game. Seems initially that'll be the team I pull for. Don't want to get too attached yet though in case an expansion brings a more regional team to the table.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the team is definitely named after Apollo the Sun God. When the name was announced, I remember the news also attributed it to the Apollo space program.

From Wiki . . .

The team's name is inspired by the Greek god Apollo and his and Florida's connections to the Sun, while the team's colors orange and navy are tributes to Florida's sunshine and the Apollo program, respectively. The helmet depicts Apollo shooting a bow-and-arrow as he is commonly pictured as an archer.
Orlando is also right down the Bee Line Tollway from Kennedy Space Center which was the starting point for all the Apollo missions. I'm not sure if that played a role in the name chosen, but it's certainly plausible. :scratch:

OP
OP
FL_Saint

FL_Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Orlando is also right down the Bee Line Tollway from Kennedy Space Center which was the starting point for all the Apollo missions. I'm not sure if that played a role in the name chosen, but it's certainly plausible. :scratch:
Yay for someone remembering the BeeLine. They changed it to BeachLine a few years ago. Stupid.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yay for someone remembering the BeeLine. They changed it to BeachLine a few years ago. Stupid.
That just shows how long it's been since I drove that stretch of highway. :hihi:
But no doubt they were trying to get people thinking about heading to those beautiful beaches instead of the simple straight line that tollway provides.

SAINT BIGAL

Just think'n out loud...
Reaction score
Well, the space missions were named after Greek Gods so I suppose they were influenced through NASA that way. I had posed the question earlier b/c a retired astronaut (sorry, I don't remember who it was) brought out the ball to start the game.

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

From Wiki . . .

So both?? Orlando is about 30 minutes from the Space Coast/Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral. I live here and just assumed it was a tip of the cap to the space mission. Tying it to the Sun God or whatever is pretty clever too though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom