Oscar Meyer Facial Mask (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is real thing that exists

I also never knew bologna masks as a kid was a thing that existed either, I never did it and never knew anyone who did
=======================
In a move that has prompted surprise, confusion and perhaps even a little revulsion, Oscar Mayer recently branched out from its vast selection of packaged deli meats and wieners with its new product: a hydrating facial mask inspired by b-o-l-o-g-n-a.

The fleshy pink mask has the moist appearance of sliced sandwich meat and is sealed in the company’s classic red-and-yellow packaging. Labeling on the package makes it clear, however, that the product is not food. It’s a sheet mask designed to evoke the childhood memory of biting eye and mouth holes into a slice of luncheon meat and then wearing it on your face.

Nostalgia factor and clever marketing aside, the hydrogel masks are genuine skin-care products and shouldn’t be evaluated at, well, face value. So several of my colleagues and I tried them, and I spoke with some skin-care experts who were game to discuss the relative merits of a bologna-inspired face mask. Here are the answers to your most urgent questions.

Why is a meat company dabbling in skin care?​

Publicity.

Bologna-like sheet masks are just the latest example of head-scratching product crossovers launched by major food brands — think Quarter Pounder-scented candles from McDonald’s, Kentucky Fried Chicken’s Crocs collaboration and Panera’s “Swim Soup” swimwear, just to name a few. Oscar Mayer’s $4.99 masks have attracted similar viral attention, sparking a flood of media coverage and selling out within 24 hours of becoming available on Amazon this month. (Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

“Oscar Mayer as a brand has a legacy of sparking unexpected smiles and injecting levity into serious moments and we felt that in this case, beauty and self-care was a very ripe territory for the brand to ultimately have some fun with and to playfully subvert,” said Megan Lang, Oscar Mayer’s associate marketing director. She added that the bologna masks are part of a larger marketing campaign to “modernize and contemporize” the brand.

Oscar Mayer partnered with Seoul Mamas, a Korean beauty and skin-care company based in the United States, to create the “hydrating and restoring hydrogel mask” that promises moisturizing and soothing effects.

“But most importantly,” Lang said of the product, “it helps us recapture that childhood joy.”

What do these masks look and smell like?​

While the masks bear an uncanny resemblance to DIY bologna masks, complete with scalloped edges around the eye and mouth openings to give them a freshly bitten look, they don’t contain actual sandwich meat. They also don’t smell anything like bologna, which is either a huge relief or a major letdown depending on how authentic you’re hoping the experience will be. Instead, they have a subtle floral scent..........

my guess is the cost of mocking this up as an actual thing is cheaper than a major ad campaign, so just develop something weird in house and let the internet work for you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom