Osi to the Falcons (1 Viewer)

while sure jackson had a 1,000 yd season last year, so did turner before this year and he began to break down because he was a work horse, same with ajax, i love sjax but i think he is slowing down and more injury prone w age.

There are plenty of reasons. While the Falcons still choke in the playoffs, the perspective is that they continually get to the playoffs which is all some of these vets want. They want that shot to make the playoffs, and then hopefully get to the Super Bowl. The 49ers don't need Osi, or Steven Jackson. The Seahawks don't need either. The next logical team would be the Falcons.

MOD EDIT: This not a smack form. Please seek a higher level of discourse or take advantage of the locker room. Thanks

Osi is weak against the run. Abraham was actually a better run defender. Their front 7 on D gets weaker from a run stand point.

And Osi was labeled as soft amongst Giants fans anyway.

I'm not that concerned with the addition of Umenyiora to the Clowns because of what he can do against us, but because they are adding players while we're just standing pat with what we have. Why aren't we signing anybody? Why are all of these players going to the Falclowns and 49ers? Just the addition of Lewis is not enough. We need to be more proactive. We have the cap space; I don't get it. Why did Butler leave? Where's Nnamdi? How come we're not targeting Dumervil or Freeney or Abraham? How about James Harrison or Nick Barnett? Many questions I have.

:idunno:

I'm not that concerned with the addition of Umenyiora to the Clowns because of what he can do against us, but because they are adding players while we're just standing pat with what we have. Why aren't we signing anybody? Why are all of these players going to the Falclowns and 49ers? Just the addition of Lewis is not enough. We need to be more proactive. We have the cap space; I don't get it. Why did Butler leave? Where's Nnamdi? How come we're not targeting Dumervil or Freeney or Abraham? How about James Harrison or Nick Barnett? Many questions I have.

:idunno:

Because the teams that run around signing everybody they can usually end up playing like hot garbage. Sometimes these free agents are just other teams' trash and there's no point starting a collection.

Because the teams that run around signing everybody they can usually end up playing like hot garbage. Sometimes these free agents are just other teams' trash and there's no point starting a collection.

I agree with this. Teams like Miami went out and spent top dollar on a few free agents, but let's be honest. The biggest splashes don't always turn out to be the best.

However, I think the Falcons and to an extent, the Saints are doing the right thing. They aren't jumping the gun, and they aren't rushing out to sign the next big name. They are doing their homework, and they are letting a lot of these vets go out and see that the demands are not that high. Which then brings them back down to earth, and then the teams will swoop in and pick them up for cheaper than what the players wanted.

The Saints will make a couple of signings. The longer they hold off, the cheaper the players become.

Signings never really get me up or down - too many factors like injuries, coaching, etc come into play and you really just have to see how it all shakes out.
I think the Falcons are making moves to win now, which is what good teams do. They have their QB, really good receivers, a good backfield, HOF TE, and they get solid play from certain spots in their defense. Automatic FG kicker.

They will continue to be a challenge in the South. Makes it fun, IMO.

I'm not overly worried about any of these moves. The Falcons still have Mike Smith as their head coach, he hasn't proven anything to me. The Falcons QB is still Matt Ryan who still hasn't proven anything to me. I just don't see Matt Ryan as this "great" QB that some people make him out to be. Yeah hes good, he may be real good, but he hasn't shown me that killer instinct in the playoffs that a QB needs. Not even mentioning the playoff failures on offense of the past, the Falcons choked in the second half of both playoff games this past season. And this is with the "uber-awesome" grouping of Gonzo, White, and Jones -- 2 first round WRs and a HOF TE. Meanwhile Brees takes a 3rd round TE who played one year of college FB and molds him into a fierce weapon, makes the league look foolish for passing up on a 7th round, almost "Mr. Irrelevant" WR by making him into an undervalued and overlooked (by the rest of the league) anywhere-on-the-field pass catching monster, an unwanted little Welker-clone and lets him prove himself by making an upside down posterizing catch in the Super Bowl, a disappointing 2nd round pick with "bad hands" but speed out the wazoo and sets him up to prove himself, a....well, you see where I'm going? Most great QBs make others around them great. I don't see that in Ryan. Until that happens, I will always give the edge to the Saints and anyone with the kind of QB that makes others great. Hell, even Joe Flacco found something inside himself this past playoffs and became a "great QB", even if its only for those past 4 playoff games. Besides, the Falcons are still "in the hole" as far as where they left off from last year on D. They're D was the problem last year and its worse now, so whatever. I still think the Saints will surprise some with their D next year. Won't be in the teens probably but it will be improved a bit.

Osi has been injured quite a bit, has had cartilage damage to his knee and has been playing for a team that has one of the more talented DLs in the league. Now he's going to a team with less talent, a year older and expected to do more than Abraham who was still doing a great job. I'm not all that impressed with the signing and don't thing it will really make any difference. Stephen Jackson on offense might because it makes the offense less predicable as Jackson can play both running and pass catching roles. He could be the person to them like Thomas is for us. If Ivory comes in its a run. Sproles probably a pass. Ingram probably a run but starting to get into pass formations, but Thomas is good at both, so defenses can't cheat.

Please don't get me wrong man, I hope S-Jax turns into an epic failure for them and doesn't pan out how they planned. But at the time being I think it's a good signing. Now if he doesnt do jack this year or next I will gladly eat my crow! But I would say most of us without being homers would have to admit its a good pickup for them

It is a good signing, but I'm just looking at the whole picture. STL didn't think he was worth anywhere near 7 mil this year, which is why they let him circumvent his contract and opt out. Obviously they didn't think he was worth 4 mil either. He was, IIRC, frequently linked to Green Bay and New England, 2 much stronger title contenders and football markets. I think Detroit was after him also. He signed in ATL for 4 mil per, which to me means those 3 thought he was worth less than that too. That's all I'm getting at. I have no reason to believe Atlanta was his first choice, but they (probably grossly) outbid the few other teams in the running. Hence my original point.

Osi's the same way. Been on the market for a while with few/no suitors. Atlanta offers to pay him so off he goes. I don't see much of an impact there. Jackson on the other hand will put up some yards and points, and may even have one more 1,000 yard season in him next year, but I just don't see him as a full 3 year threat.

I think they are a good team. I like their GM. I think he makes smart decisions for them. They have some good players on O and although I think he is a system QB, Matt Ryan has done pretty good for them. Yes he needs to play better in the post season, but year in and year out they get there and he makes more positive plays than negative ones. I would say he is somewhere around 10 in QB ranking which is good enough.

I am not a fan of Mike Smith as a HC because his teams tend to lose focus too often (up 17 at home with a chance to go to the super bowl and choked) and he has made some game costing decisions, but he is not afraid to get better coordinators when he needs to and many HC do not make those changes enough IMO and it costs them their jobs.

I am a gonzo fan and have been waiting for him to fall off since he first came to Atl and he just keeps producing.

I think their whole cell block D thing is lame, but their D plays with a lot of confidence and they seem to play well together. I would trade safeties with them right now.

I am not trying to have a falcon love fest, but I respect what they have accomplished over the last few years as a team and I can see why vets would want to play for them. They get to the postseason which means they have a shot at the super bowl. Their fans are terrible for the most part. They are not just painfully immature but they always seem to push expectations 3 steps too far. Good players are HOFers, a good offense is "the best in the league" on paper, every addition was genius and every subtraction was road scholar. It is eye rolling, middle school logic that makes impossible to take them seriously. It is like trying to explain to a child why it is not possible to fly and all you get back is "nothing is impossible".

I live in Atlanta and I have several friends that work in sports talk radio. One of them hosts his own show...and this is EXACTLY how they think. It's sickening yet funny at the same time...lol

Osi doesn't worry me one bit. I think at this point he's a downgrade from Abraham.

He'd start for us, no question. Loomis asleep at the wheel (unless we sign a superior John Abraham, in which case I'll eat my crow).

I think they are a good team. I like their GM. I think he makes smart decisions for them. They have some good players on O and although I think he is a system QB, Matt Ryan has done pretty good for them. Yes he needs to play better in the post season, but year in and year out they get there and he makes more positive plays than negative ones. I would say he is somewhere around 10 in QB ranking which is good enough.

I am not a fan of Mike Smith as a HC because his teams tend to lose focus too often (up 17 at home with a chance to go to the super bowl and choked) and he has made some game costing decisions, but he is not afraid to get better coordinators when he needs to and many HC do not make those changes enough IMO and it costs them their jobs.

I am a gonzo fan and have been waiting for him to fall off since he first came to Atl and he just keeps producing.

I think their whole cell block D thing is lame, but their D plays with a lot of confidence and they seem to play well together. I would trade safeties with them right now.

I am not trying to have a falcon love fest, but I respect what they have accomplished over the last few years as a team and I can see why vets would want to play for them. They get to the postseason which means they have a shot at the super bowl. Their fans are terrible for the most part. They are not just painfully immature but they always seem to push expectations 3 steps too far. Good players are HOFers, a good offense is "the best in the league" on paper, every addition was genius and every subtraction was road scholar. It is eye rolling, middle school logic that makes impossible to take them seriously. It is like trying to explain to a child why it is not possible to fly and all you get back is "nothing is impossible".

Sounds suspiciously like this and every other messageboard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom