OT: New York Giants S Antrel Rolle says....... (1 Viewer)

I recall Reggie Bush saying exactly the opposite, something like "Playing football is fun; being a soldier, that's real pressure."

It is 1200 here in Baghdad...we were just talking about these comments. This is not a game we have lost three people this year one I knew well and the other I knew. Brutal all three on friends, family, and fellow Soldiers. The people who keep this country what it is are used as pick up lines and opportunties for entertainment. While people are fighting and dying everyday people like this human say the most outrageous things along with suggesting we take pay cuts or freezes....During WWII many celebrities picked up the mantle of leadership and joined the US Armed Forces. As far as I can tell, in this 9 year conflict, Pat Tillman is the only one to do so and the only one who has the right to call himself an soldier (This of course excludes the fact that there may be NFL players who have served)

It is 1200 here in Baghdad...we were just talking about these comments. This is not a game we have lost three people this year one I knew well and the other I knew. Brutal all three on friends, family, and fellow Soldiers. The people who keep this country what it is are used as pick up lines and opportunties for entertainment. While people are fighting and dying everyday people like this human say the most outrageous things along with suggesting we take pay cuts or freezes....During WWII many celebrities picked up the mantle of leadership and joined the US Armed Forces. As far as I can tell, in this 9 year conflict, Pat Tillman is the only one to do so and the only one who has the right to call himself an soldier (This of course excludes the fact that there may be NFL players who have served)

Thanks for your service. Sorry that our brave servicemen and women have to read idiotic comments such as his...

Did you guys read what he said later in the article???

“I gave the analogy as far as when you have troops coming from Iraq they don’t get booed. And you know, it’s not even a comparable analogy,” he said not long after making the comments, according to Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger. “You cannot remotely compare what we do as opposed to what they do. They’re fighting for our freedom, they’re fighting for our country, we’re out there playing a game. At the end of the day, it’s a game. We get paid a lot of money, I understand that. But at the end of the day it’s a game. . . .
“But some people, I’m sure they’re going to take that and run and say, ‘Oh my God, Antrel is comparing himself to troops in Iraq.’ No I’m not comparing myself to troops in Iraq,” Rolle said. “I couldn’t [serve in the military]. I’m not brave enough to do it. I’ll be the first one to admit it. I’m not brave enough to do that so I’ll definitely tip my hat to those guys and those troopers that risk their lives and put their lives on the line in order for me to play the sport I love to play.
“It’s not Antrel comparing himself. I’m just going to clear that up so you know that. It’s not that at all.”

-from Profootballtalk.com

Actually he apologized for his stupidity

<table><tbody><tr><td> Antrel Rolle apologizes for military comment

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="50px"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#cc0000"> Dec</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"> 2</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> 12/2/2010 8:46:07 PM <table> <tbody><tr> <td> http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...0540439074NXC&pre=http://theredzone.org/&tt=0 http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...0540439074NXC&pre=http://theredzone.org/&tt=0 http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...0540439074NXC&pre=http://theredzone.org/&tt=0 http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...0540439074NXC&pre=http://theredzone.org/&tt=0 | More
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports Giants safety Antrel Rolle may not understand why fans boo or how insane it is to ever compare football players to soldiers, but it seems he&#8217;s starting to understand what a commotion a few dumb words can create in New York.
So this afternoon, a few hours after reiterating that fans shouldn&#8217;t boo NFL players because &#8220;When soldiers come home from Iraq you don&#8217;t boo them,&#8221; Rolle went into damage control. He issued a statement through the Giants&#8217; PR department, saying he used &#8220;a very poor, very inappropriate choice of words.&#8221;
&#8220;I used a very poor, inappropriate example earlier today to demonstrate how seriously I take my job,&#8221; Rolle said. &#8220;Obviously there is no comparison between the men and women of our military putting their life on the line defending our country and what I do. They risk their lives and that gives me the opportunity to play a game for a living.
&#8220;After I made my earlier comments, somebody even said to me: how would your father, who is the chief of police in Homestead and puts himself at risk every day, feel about the comparison you made? Again, it was a very poor, very inappropriate choice of words.&#8221;

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Apology or no, he still needs to understand who is paying his salary. We (fans) are responsible for everything he has in his life. Every one of us are accountable for our actions and subject to criticism when we fail or perform poorly in our lives. What on earth should make him exempt from the same rules?

so a footballer is comparable to a person who risks his life for our country? Uber Fail!

this is not the first time a football player/coach/analyst/whatever has compared the game to war or the player to a soldier... ppl just don't like seeing it done in a negative light
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Apology or no, he still needs to understand who is paying his salary. We (fans) are responsible for everything he has in his life. Every one of us are accountable for our actions and subject to criticism when we fail or perform poorly in our lives. What on earth should make him exempt from the same rules?

ummm... im pretty sure most people don't have thousands of boos flying at them every time they screw up at work...
i don't think your boss telling you he expects more from you is comparable to having that many people you've never even met yell and scream that You blow lol
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I don't care what anyone says, I can't take anyone seriously if they can boo one day and cheer the next. I just think a lot of people envy the players on the field. One minute their flipping out about the touchdown they just scored then the next their complaining about how much money the player makes cuz he dropped a ball.

ummm... im pretty sure most people don't have thousands of boos flying at them every time they screw up at work...
i don't think your boss telling you he expects more from you is comparable to having that many people you've never even met yell and scream that You blow lol

Are you kidding me....he's a millionaire!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sitting in a ******** in Baghdad.....I hope they boo him until he finishes playing the game that's just an idiotic comment...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom