OTA's provide time for growth in quieter offseason (1 Viewer)

saintsfan26

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
DSC_6611.jpg

From the Coach
Thursday, 30 May 2013
By: Rick Gaille

As a coach, I always loved Spring Practice, whether in high school or at Tulane University.* It was a time for individual improvement, repetition and team cohesion.

You had the time to work on skills and techniques that you do not have during the regular season when installation of the game plan is paramount.* Without the necessity of game preparation, individual player development becomes the emphasis.

That is actually the objective of NFL Organized Team Activities or OTAs.* It was great to be back on the practice field, although only as an observer.* The Thursday OTA was held indoors due to threatening weather.* While it was great to be back on the field, it was different not to be hot and sweaty at practice.

Much of our attention was on the defense being installed by new Defensive Coordinator Rob Ryan.* While much has been said about the switch to a 3-4, the biggest change is the energy and aggressiveness of the unit.* While that is always the mantra of any new DC (would anyone come in and say they are going to be more passive?), some of the ideas in practice reinforced this attitude.

Great article. Very informative. Food for the soul.

Looking at the enclosed picture, I guess Mark Ingram isn't wearing #28 anymore.

Looking at the enclosed picture, I guess Mark Ingram isn't wearing #28 anymore.

nope.. Ingram is #22 now. Thats Keenan Lewis wearing #28 and rookie Rod Sweeting in #38

Also, this was my favorite part of the blog:

In evaluating the offense, it appears that 10 year veteran Seneca Wallace will be the backup quarterback.* While only 5’11” and 205 pounds, he demonstrated why he has been in the league that long.* He is an accurate passer that gets the ball off in a similar rhythm to Drew Brees.* He also will not need many repetitions in the regular season to be able to step in and run the team in an emergency situation.

This was the most informative part if you ask me. I have always liked Seneca Wallace. He has spent his entire career on some very bad teams and he has always been a guy who can start if needed. He is borderline starter material for alot of NFL teams. But with the Saints, I think he could run our offense efficiently. He has quick feet and a quick release. Not the strongest of arms but he can get the job done.

We would be screwed if we ever lost Brees for a long period of time, but Wallace could run this offense for a few games and can win some games for us. I love the fact that Rick Gaille is giving positive feedback on Wallace. He also says McCown is the odd man out and Griffin will make the team as a developmental player. Very good info right there.

the article was good , until the author started giving his opinion of seneca after just a few practices of ota's open to reporters, and the dude was out of football last year, unlike luke McCown. But at this point its anyones guess, surely not the sure thing this guy preaches.

nope.. Ingram is #22 now. Thats Keenan Lewis wearing #28 and rookie Rod Sweeting in #38

This was the most informative part if you ask me. I have always liked Seneca Wallace. He has spent his entire career on some very bad teams and he has always been a guy who can start if needed. He is borderline starter material for alot of NFL teams. But with the Saints, I think he could run our offense efficiently. He has quick feet and a quick release. Not the strongest of arms but he can get the job done.

We would be screwed if we ever lost Brees for a long period of time, but Wallace could run this offense for a few games and can win some games for us. I love the fact that Rick Gaille is giving positive feedback on Wallace. He also says McCown is the odd man out and Griffin will make the team as a developmental player. Very good info right there.

Obviously if Brees went down it would be terrible. But I like Wallace and think we would atleast be competitive. I like RG4 as a developmental prospect, but I will need to see him in preseason before I have any thoughts on him.

the article was good , until the author started giving his opinion of seneca after just a few practices of ota's open to reporters, and the dude was out of football last year, unlike luke McCown. But at this point its anyones guess, surely not the sure thing this guy preaches.
i wouldnt really consider him to be just an "author."

SportsNOLA.com - Rick Gaille's Bio
As a coach, Rick was an assistant at Chalmette High School, Archbishop Rummel High School, Tulane University and Bonnabel High School. During that time Gaille coached football, basketball, baseball, track as well as athletic trainer.

Gaille was named Head Coach at St. James High School in St. James Parish in 1992. After 19 years he amassed a record of 170-69, reaching the playoffs 17 times. The Wildcats reached the Semi-Finals nine times leading to three State Finals appearances.

In 2011, after his final season at St. James, Rick joined the vast Ken Trahan Media Empire as Studio Analyst for Ken Trahan's Original Prep Football Report. He also began writing for SportsNOLA.com as a blogger "From the Coach's Office" and contributed to live chats for LSU and New Orleans Saints games as well as the 2012 Zurich Classic.

i think the dude has earned the right to have his opinion recognized. I'd prefer this over Skip Bayless praising Tim Tebow anyday.

Besides all of this, Wallace is a 10 year NFL veteran. Is it really that hard to believe that the guy has some skills?

If u ever seen Luke McCown play you would know what he said was accurate. Terrible accuracy.

Senaca has been solid when given.a.chance. Who.cares if he was out of football last year, we'rr talking bout backups.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

If u ever seen Luke McCown play you would know what he said was accurate. Terrible accuracy.

Senaca has been solid when given.a.chance. Who.cares if he was out of football last year, we'rr talking bout backups.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

yes, and the reason he was out of football last year is because he got screwed by the Browns. The Browns have had a logjam at QB for years full of #1 draft picks. Wallace never stood a chance when they drafted Weeden, even though Wallace was probably the better QB, the Browns had to start Weeden because of the high draft pick. Wallace has been going through this his whole career. He's just good enough to get the job done, but just not great enough to make an organization go all in on him.

He is like the best backup in the league. I personally believe he will be an upgrade over Chase Daniel. Cheaper too.

Wallace was serviceable in Seattle when Hasselbeck went down, for sure. But it makes you wonder why he was most recently out of the league?

McCown was a Falcon last year, that's even worse than being out of the league for a year. Not only do we have to remove the dead brain cells they killed, but we also have to wash the stink off him... :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom