OTAs week 2: Practice Notes & Highlights (5/30) (1 Viewer)

I agree a more favorable comparison is Antonio Brown 5’10” 185. He was quick and elusive and caught a ton of balls. He set the record for consecutive games with at least 5 catches and at least 50 yards at 35 games. It ended when Ben was out but he still had 5 for 42. Also as for Shaheed, Brown started out as a return guy.
Brown and Tyreek Hill are both 5'10" 185lbs while Smith was 5'9" 195lbs. Smith's closer size comps are small RBs.

Weight isn't the key factor, it's Relative Body Size (RBS) which is weight in pounds divided by height in inches. I made a post about this before the 2020 draft and did the research on what the average top 25 WR size was. The average RBS for a top WR in 2019 was 2.82. There are a few outliers and those are above average in other areas to make up for it. Both Olave and Shaheed are well below 2.82 RBS, but if Shaheed really tried to put on 10lbs on muscle this offseason, then he's probably close.

When I have time, I'll do the research again using the top 25 WRs from 2022. Below are the averages for a top 25 WR from 2019:

Average round drafted: 2.5
Height: 72.5"
Weight: 204.72lbs
RBS: 2.82
Hands: 9.53"
40 time: 4.49
Vertical: 36.34"
Broad Jump: 122.35"
3-Cone: 6.88
20-Yard Shuffle: 4.18
It would be ideal for them to be a little bit bigger. But I feel like creating an issue about their size is nitpicking when there’s no problems with their play and durability otherwise. Both Olave and Shaheed are bulking up 5-10 pounds in muscle this offseason so they’re on the right track.

If Hill & Waddle can be productive 5’11/190ish WRs, I don’t think there will be an issue for our two young guys. We constantly have injuries to 205-215+ lb receivers so it’s more of the individual player’s body strength and conditioning than size.

That is a poor example. Smith was build like a bulldog, and played like one. Neither of them are fair comparison.

Now that we are far enough removed from it, I can admit Steve Smith is the enemy I wish played for us the most. The guy was an absolute monster at 5'9.
Is that the way you make your points… by attempting to discredit someone else’s opinion by merely calling it a “poor example?”

Steve Largent was 5’11”, 185 lbs. He wasn’t built like a bulldog, but would Largent also be a poor example?

Wes Welker was 5’9”, 185 lbs. Is that also a poor example.

We can differ in opinion, but we don’t have to slam someone because we don’t see eye to-eye.

Peace, out.

:gosaints:

Is that the way you make your points… by attempting to discredit someone else’s opinion by merely calling it a “poor example?”

Steve Largent was 5’11”, 185 lbs. He wasn’t built like a bulldog, but would Largent also be a poor example?

Wes Welker was 5’9”, 185 lbs. Is that also a poor example.

We can differ in opinion, but we don’t have to slam someone because we don’t see eye to-eye.

Peace, out.

:gosaints:

If your opinion is to say that Olave and Shaheeds size is fine because Steve Smith was short, I dont need to discredit your opinion. I cant imagine anyone reading that and saying, good point. Everyone knows Smiths style of play, physicality, body type and tenacity are not a comparison to Olave and Shaheed - unless you use something as arbitrary a tape measure - which is the entire point of your opinion.

And Im fine with Olave and Shaheed, but we need a big body WR that can sit zones, run slants over the middle and catch contested passes in traffic - which is what CGM was in the offense. Neither Shaheed or Olave is that guy. They are valuable in the offense, provide dimensions we havent had in a while, but they arent in the CGM mold. My argument isnt that they are too small to play WR, its that they are too light to go 17 games playing a CGM style game and that we need someone to step up that can do the dirty work over the middle and in traffic.

If your opinion is to say that Olave and Shaheeds size is fine because Steve Smith was short, I dont need to discredit your opinion. I cant imagine anyone reading that and saying, good point. Everyone knows Smiths style of play, physicality, body type and tenacity are not a comparison to Olave and Shaheed - unless you use something as arbitrary a tape measure - which is the entire point of your opinion.

And Im fine with Olave and Shaheed, but we need a big body WR that can sit zones, run slants over the middle and catch contested passes in traffic - which is what CGM was in the offense. Neither Shaheed or Olave is that guy. They are valuable in the offense, provide dimensions we havent had in a while, but they arent in the CGM mold. My argument isnt that they are too small to play WR, its that they are too light to go 17 games playing a CGM style game and that we need someone to step up that can do the dirty work over the middle and in traffic.
We do have 2 TE that catch the ball pretty good. Not saying you're wrong, just we have other positions to catch some of those passes. I think we can get by with Edwards or Merritt taking the big body WR role but as the 4th or 5th option on a play

We do have 2 TE that catch the ball pretty good. Not saying you're wrong, just we have other positions to catch some of those passes. I think we can get by with Edwards or Merritt taking the big body WR role but as the 4th or 5th option on a play
Right on with the TE comment. Let's not forgot that Juwan Johnson is a former WR who has been converted to TE because he has WR hands in a TE body. You want a big bodied monster to catch contested passes and go across the middle....meet Mr. Johnson! With a QB who likes to throw to TEs, and can throw dimes in stride, JJ about to have his breakout season. Transition complete...

We’re talking like they aren’t enough just cause they’re 10-15 pounds below 200.

I think it's really a durability/availability thing.....I think one of the reasons Shaheed went undrafted was his slight build....there are exceptions but 180lb WR's don't typically have long careers....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom