OTAs Who lined up where? Defense. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Coach Payton made it quite clear that there is no depth chart right now. Players have been rotating their reps. Even though he tried to hammer that point home with reporters, they all reported what they had seen when viewing only part of the OTA.

Where did I hear they are grouped basically by learning curve, meaning the guys soaking it in fastest are the ones.

The comments on that page go off tangent somewhat...

Interesting to see even if it means 'nothing'. Concerned Smith with the 1s.. perhaps being given chance to prove hes worth a spot

wow, i was worried at herring starting at ILB next to lofton when i didnt see vilma's name on any list, then i read the bottom...

Malcolm Jenkins, Jonathan Vilma, Kenyon Coleman, and David Hawthorne did not practice.

quddus got the start at FS, him and bush were our 2 best safeties last year.

Tom Johnson starting at DE opposite cam Jordan

Herring and quddus getting starts because of limited practices by Vilma, Hawthorne and Jenkins

Interesting, but this is very similar to the starting lineup I expect to see against the falcons

Who is this Ray Shipman character at second team inside linebacker?

This was interesting to see. Of all the rookies, drafted and undrafted, only John Jenkins and undrafted FA LB Ray Shipman were the highest on the supposed depth chart. I'm not gonna read too much into it, however, I am making a note to myself and I'll keep observing the news from camps.

6'5" 242lbs former Mr. Basketball in the state of Florida and played basketball for the Gators before transferring to UCF to play football instead.

Ray Shipman - Central Florida - OLB - College2pro.com

There's nothing to read into at all. There's nothing slightly interesting about Shipman playing 2nd string with Vilma AND Hawthorne sitting out.

People look at the depth chart and realize that Herring is starting because Vilma (AND HAWTHORNE) sat out and immediately forget this fact seconds later when they look at the 2nd string chart. He's playing 2nd string by default. He would be 3rd or 4th string like all the other rookies (except Jenkins), if Hawthorne and Vilma were practicing. He's literally the 6th rated ILB behind Vilma, Lofton, Hawthorne, Herring, and Chamberlain. I wouldn't read much into Shipman playing over Ramon Humber, a special team ace, and Kevin Reddick, another rookie. That's the only think that "stands out" the least bit.

There's nothing to read into at all. There's nothing slightly interesting about Shipman playing 2nd string with Vilma AND Hawthorne sitting out.

Excellent point, which is why I said I wasn't going to read too much into it. It was simply a note/observance after which i answered the question from the article, "Who is this Ray Shipman..."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom