Other Football Players Whose Careers Were As Affected By Injuries As MIke Thomas's? (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to think of other NFL players of the statute of Mike Thomas whose careers were as adversely affected by injuries as much as Thomas's. If I go back a number of decades, I can think of Greg Cook and Gayle Sayers. But I cannot think of anyone other on his level in the last 25 years whose career was so badly affected by injuries. And of course, in his case, we had two years in a row where Thomas was expected to fully return and did not so do.

There are a ton who just never recovered from a single injury.

There are others who couldn't stay on the field because of addiction.

Thomas really is kind of in his own boat to starting a career the way he did vs ending it the way it is headed.

You could make a list of just RBs. Injuries that are common now used to be career killers. Sterling Sharpe is probably the best comparison overall. We're talking about a WR who was All Pro before Brett Favre came to town. In the three years he caught passes from Favre, Sharpe went from just an All Pro/Pro Bowl WR to finishing in the top 10 in MVP and OPOY voting. He was on his way to Canton.

Bo Jackson, Terrell Davis, Sterling Sharpe, Andrew Luck.
I think Sterling Sharpe was the one out of those who was robbed the most. He was going to be a Hall of Famer. At least T.D got in

I think it is crummy how TD is in and Sharpe isn't, he was flat out dominant for 4 straight seasons. Puting up numbers that had never been seen.

I think Sterling Sharpe was the one out of those who was robbed the most. He was going to be a Hall of Famer. At least T.D got in

I think it is crummy how TD is in and Sharpe isn't, he was flat out dominant for 4 straight seasons. Puting up numbers that had never been seen.
Yea I’d forgotten that TD got in, you’re very right.

I am trying to think of other NFL players of the statute of Mike Thomas whose careers were as adversely affected by injuries as much as Thomas's. If I go back a number of decades, I can think of Greg Cook and Gayle Sayers. But I cannot think of anyone other on his level in the last 25 years whose career was so badly affected by injuries. And of course, in his case, we had two years in a row where Thomas was expected to fully return and did not so do.
Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson had the talent, focus, speed to be a borderline HOF, but he had an arrogant, egotistical streak to him opening his mouth and giving opposing teams bulletin-board material (especially Steelers before SB XIII) and his not-so secret cocaine addiction that he would snort before, during, and after practices and even during games. He had a problem sleeping through team meetings and his issues got even worse in S.F. when Walsh traded for him, thinking he'd gotten a steal, when all he got was a detiorating drug addict. Although in Henderson's defense, cocaine use was pretty rampant back then and cancerous to a lot of players, on a lot of teams, and in various leagues, like in MLB and NBA. There was also a societal undercurrent that assumed or inferred that cocaine wasnt that addictive or habit-forming or serious to the extent other hard drugs like herion and methaphetimes. This view was pervasive throughout the late 70's and early 80's and unfortunately, more then a significant few Americans bought that bullshirt line. Henderson wasnt the only Cowboys player snorting lines and blow, he was just more open about it and using it, more frequently.

Chuck Muncie is another All-Pro RB who, by his own admission, couldve been a HOF'er, if only he had applied himself more, worked harder, and had a better attitude. Archie Manning has said repeatedly that he didn't know what Muncie was doing or thinking about during NFL seasons while he was a Saint, but it wasnt football. He had kind of a second chance in San Diego under Don Corryel, but his drug addictions, misbehavior and immaturity eventually caught up to him, even there, albeit it took them a few more years to figure it out. Muncie was actually caught early in the 1984 season when he lied to Don Corryel about missing a team flight or meeting, he offered some lame excuse that his teammates and Corryel didnt buy and they suspended him. He never played again. Jim Brown once commented on Muncie that "his biggest problem wasnt his on-field talent, it was totally in his head".

Billy Sims was Barry Sanders ten years early, back in the mid-80's, ACL injuries werent as well-treated or rehabed effectively as they'd become over the next 20 years, if he hadn't suffered that injury or he'd had a more effective recovery program, Sims would be in the HOF now and also, he'd likely be the Lions all-time leading rusher. Thing is, though, if Sims had played another 5-10 years well unto his 30's, Detroit doesn't need Barry Sanders and who knows where and how well #20 wouldve played if he'd been in Green Bay, New York Jets, or Kansas City Chiefs.

yeah... though his and Bo jacksons were freaky injuries rather than nagging. Luck for sure.. he couldve been HOFer
Luck couldve kept playing. He didnt have to retire when or how he did. He couldve conceivably played another 3-4 seasons, probably still playing now. He just didnt want to and his retirement was a bit of a protest, WTFU sort of gesture to the Colts ownership, team FO that they failed in their jobs to properly build good O-lines around him and he constantly was getting nailed and hit. And the Colts, gradually, have suffered as a result, because they've yet to adequately replace the one position they kind of took for granted while Luck and his predecessor, Peyton Manning, were playing lights out for close to two decades.

Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson had the talent, focus, speed to be a borderline HOF, but he had an arrogant, egotistical streak to him opening his mouth and giving opposing teams bulletin-board material (especially Steelers before SB XIII) and his not-so secret cocaine addiction that he would snort before, during, and after practices and even during games. He had a problem sleeping through team meetings and his issues got even worse in S.F. when Walsh traded for him, thinking he'd gotten a steal, when all he got was a detiorating drug addict. Although in Henderson's defense, cocaine use was pretty rampant back then and cancerous to a lot of players, on a lot of teams, and in various leagues, like in MLB and NBA. There was also a societal undercurrent that assumed or inferred that cocaine wasnt that addictive or habit-forming or serious to the extent other hard drugs like herion and methaphetimes. This view was pervasive throughout the late 70's and early 80's and unfortunately, more then a significant few Americans bought that bullshirt line. Henderson wasnt the only Cowboys player snorting lines and blow, he was just more open about it and using it, more frequently.

Chuck Muncie is another All-Pro RB who, by his own admission, couldve been a HOF'er, if only he had applied himself more, worked harder, and had a better attitude. Archie Manning has said repeatedly that he didn't know what Muncie was doing or thinking about during NFL seasons while he was a Saint, but it wasnt football. He had kind of a second chance in San Diego under Don Corryel, but his drug addictions, misbehavior and immaturity eventually caught up to him, even there, albeit it took them a few more years to figure it out. Muncie was actually caught early in the 1984 season when he lied to Don Corryel about missing a team flight or meeting, he offered some lame excuse that his teammates and Corryel didnt buy and they suspended him. He never played again. Jim Brown once commented on Muncie that "his biggest problem wasnt his on-field talent, it was totally in his head".

Billy Sims was Barry Sanders ten years early, back in the mid-80's, ACL injuries werent as well-treated or rehabed effectively as they'd become over the next 20 years, if he hadn't suffered that injury or he'd had a more effective recovery program, Sims would be in the HOF now and also, he'd likely be the Lions all-time leading rusher. Thing is, though, if Sims had played another 5-10 years well unto his 30's, Detroit doesn't need Barry Sanders and who knows where and how well #20 wouldve played if he'd been in Green Bay, New York Jets, or Kansas City Chiefs.
Sims was incredible. He averaged almost 10 yds per carry his last year at OU and yeah, if he had not gotten injured in Detroit, he looked to be on a HOF track. He looked like the next Gayle Sayers, who not so coincidentally also got robbed of several great years by knee problems that are easily fixed today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom