Our biggest need (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
Right now, I have to say that it is LB. With the loss of Klein, and with 4 of our returning LB'ers coming off injury - Hansen, Ellis, Anzalone, Alonzo - we have a serious need at this position.

For this year's draft, I still say this is our need list: LB, WR, CB, QB, TE.

I think most fans are too worried about “need”. The team has shown year after year that they fill those in free agency if at all possible. On top that, there are still plenty of LBs that remain unsigned.

What I don’t understand is how LB can be considered more of a need than EDGE. We have Demario and Cam as 1/2 of our starting LB and DE duos, since our base (nickel) defense consist of 2 LBs and 2 DEs.

At LB2, we have Anzalone with Alonso as insurance. Both Anzalone and Alonso have regularly dealt with injuries.

At RE, we have Davenport, with Hendrickson backing him up. Both of these players have missed time every year of their career with injuries.

Would you rather line up with Noah Spence starting at RE or Kaden Elliss at LB? Also, with Malcolm Jenkins and CJ Gardner-Johnson, both have the ability to play that moneybacker position, if they aren’t comfortable starting Elliss or whoever at LB.

I think most fans are too worried about “need”. The team has shown year after year that they fill those in free agency if at all possible. On top that, there are still plenty of LBs that remain unsigned.

What I don’t understand is how LB can be considered more of a need than EDGE. We have Demario and Cam as 1/2 of our starting LB and DE duos, since our base (nickel) defense consist of 2 LBs and 2 DEs.

At LB2, we have Anzalone with Alonso as insurance. Both Anzalone and Alonso have regularly dealt with injuries.

At RE, we have Davenport, with Hendrickson backing him up. Both of these players have missed time every year of their career with injuries.

Would you rather line up with Noah Spence starting at RE or Kaden Elliss at LB? Also, with Malcolm Jenkins and CJ Gardner-Johnson, both have the ability to play that moneybacker position, if they aren’t comfortable starting Elliss or whoever at LB.

At least at DE, we weren't signing guys mid-season due to necessity. That's not to say that we couldn't benefit from another pass rusher. It just shows where the greater need is, IMO.

The way I see it a huge chunk of NFL fans wish that thier team has as much talent on thier roster as N.O. A 3rd W.R and a L.B and back up C.B as the major needs is quite nice.

At least at DE, we weren't signing guys mid-season due to necessity. That's not to say that we couldn't benefit from another pass rusher. It just shows where the greater need is, IMO.
But we did. Noah Spence was signed during the season and played some snaps at RE, similar to Stephone Anthony at LB.

But we did. Noah Spence was signed during the season and played some snaps at RE, similar to Stephone Anthony at LB.

Forgot about him. I still view LB as a larger need based on losing Klein and the significant injury history of Anzalone and Kiko. Sadly, it's almost guaranteed that neither of those will make it the full season, and I'd hate to be playing Robertson, Anthony, or someone like that if we make it to the playoffs. Either way, I think the Saints would take either position at any pick based on how they have them rated.

I really liked the signing of Hansen (can't remember his whole name - bad with names) but he never saw the field as he was apparently hurt. I am really loving the Emanual Sanders signing. I'd still love to see us bring in a young guy to compete with Tre-quan Smith. Plus, we still have Butler and Humphries. I don't see as big a need at OL as everyone else, though. 3rd string QB is a huge need after LB to me.

I really liked the signing of Hansen (can't remember his whole name - bad with names) but he never saw the field as he was apparently hurt. I am really loving the Emanual Sanders signing. I'd still love to see us bring in a young guy to compete with Tre-quan Smith. Plus, we still have Butler and Humphries. I don't see as big a need at OL as everyone else, though. 3rd string QB is a huge need after LB to me.

A #3 QB has to be signed but hopefully never plays. I'm curious how much they address it. It almost seems like bargain bin shopping will be the path. If so you might as well wait till after the draft in case a decent QB falls to you on a rookie contract.

I think several of the "needs" on the team are just backup type players that can give you snaps in case of injuries and not be detriments. Your Mario Edwards Jr type signings.

With the Brees news today, I wouldn't put it past Loomis and Payton trading up for Jordan Love who they obviously have interest in.

A #3 QB has to be signed but hopefully never plays. I'm curious how much they address it. It almost seems like bargain bin shopping will be the path. If so you might as well wait till after the draft in case a decent QB falls to you on a rookie contract.

I think several of the "needs" on the team are just backup type players that can give you snaps in case of injuries and not be detriments. Your Mario Edwards Jr type signings.

You are correct. The roster is actually fine just looking at starters. Depth is really all we're after, which is honestly kind of shocking compared to many years. There are, of course, positions where depth is even more crucial due to injury-riddled players. There's also the future to think about, because we're going to lose a few more good players in the next year or so, plus we'll need a QB. This draft should be interesting. I don't think I'd be surprised by whichever positions they choose to target in each round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom