Our defense ... (1 Viewer)

I agree with the OP, I also don't think we have seen the best of Stephone Anthony yet. I'm excited about the future of this D.

Talent wise this is definitely the deepest we've been in a while. I'm excited about the young core we have on this roster.

PJ Williams stood out as a bright spot despite giving up a TD. Very encouraged by what we saw from him I think he should be starting alongside Breaux.

I believe the biggest factor is keeping Ellerbe on the field. Dude is everywhere.
Agreed. Totally different when he was out there last year. That said Robertson is a better fill in if he goes down that whoever we had last year, mauti?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I only see two problems with the starting defense, two weeks in a row.

The first may have more to do with my expectations than NFL reality, but I don't think a great defense can just go out there and do its job. There has to be a fire. I got spoiled by the fire Gregg Williams's defenses played with in the preseason. I see some individuals getting pumped up on a play, but its not until the guys who are trying to make this team get in there do I see the fire.

The second problem is going to have to invoke some changes. The Saint starting defense has trouble stopping the off-tackle run. Running at the ends and outside linebackers is consistently giving up 4-5 yards. We're getting out-physicalled out there.

Overall I liked what I saw from the defense much better than what they played in New England. It's not a dominating defense, but it's going to make things happen. We've just got to take advantage of it.

Yes the defensive improvement is impressive. They look fundamentally sound and have some good players at every level. They are obviously better coached than in years past. I saw edge containment on runs and pressure on the QB. Pretty optimistic.

What about the improvement of David Onyemata? I thought he improved. Didn't play well but you can see some improvement. So I guess it is a good sign.

What about the improvement of David Onyemata? I thought he improved. Didn't play well but you can see some improvement. So I guess it is a good sign.

Onyemata started to show disruption. Not sure if staying in gaps as he looked to get shoved around, but he forced a few plays to his teammates. He didn't make the stat sheet so he's gotta work on finishing.

Is it possible that we actually have the interior D-Line depth to withstand the loss of Rankins for the early part of the season? Onyemata is not ready to play a lot of snaps, but if he's the less frequent part of a Fairley/Davison/Onyemata rotation, I think we might actually be OK.

If we had similar talent in our interior O-Line, I could really get excited about this team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom