Our Draft Pick Blunder isn’t that bad (1 Viewer)

Broncos country, let’s ride!

The Saints are not in a good place for the future, but the Broncos win the prize for "OMG, they are up poop creek" in the upcoming seasons. The Rams can at least say they won a Super Bowl from their complete purging of draft capital (and I'm still bitter about it). The Broncos sold out to get Wilson and may not even get a single winning season out of it.

Im not as upset because Olave is looking great, if penning because a top 5 OL it was worth it.
Olave is a very good WR but Saints could have gotten a good one late in the first round in Christian Watson. Olave’s lack of size is starting to show up. As he takes more and more big hits we find him dropping balls and diving to ground eliminating YAC because he is thinking of the potential hit coming. A small receiver unless he has Tyreke Hill speed is not worth as high a pick as we took Olave. It’s a big man’s name.

What's frustrating is with a win last night that could have easily been a late teens to early twenties pick. Granted all our other picks would be later which hurts us but the spite factor is strong.

What's frustrating is with a win last night that could have easily been a late teens to early twenties pick. Granted all our other picks would be later which hurts us but the spite factor is strong.
3 of our 4 remaining games are against bad teams (ATL, CAR, CLE) and we're at home for 2 of them (ATL, CAR). So my guess is we don't remain in the bottom 5. But hey, I won't underestimate this squad's ability to immolate themselves.

Olave is a very good WR but Saints could have gotten a good one late in the first round in Christian Watson. Olave’s lack of size is starting to show up. As he takes more and more big hits we find him dropping balls and diving to ground eliminating YAC because he is thinking of the potential hit coming. A small receiver unless he has Tyreke Hill speed is not worth as high a pick as we took Olave. It’s a big man’s name.
Agree, early indicators are there were better picks to be made with both first rounders and trading up is a disaster. We could’ve likely had one of Young, Stroud, or Levis by April.

Olave is a very good WR but Saints could have gotten a good one late in the first round in Christian Watson. Place’s lack of size is starting to show up. As he takes more and more big hits we find him dropping balls and diving to ground eliminating YAC because he is thinking of the potential hit coming. A small receiver unless he has Tyreke Hill speed is not worth as high a pick as we took Olave. It’s a big man’s name.
Oh my god. lol You kidding me? You want to find a way to mess on even the Olave pick? Dude is on the path to be OROY and you just said he wasn't worth the pick?

Oh my god. lol You kidding me? You want to find a way to mess on even the Olave pick? Dude is on the path to be OROY and you just said he wasn't worth the pick?
No. He wasn't worth the picks the Saints will end up giving up to get him. Remember, they traded twice to get him. The trade to acquire the second pick and the trade up to get him. While, yes he leads all rookies in receiving yards there are too many WR's that come in NFL ready and make huge impacts. Not to mention the WR's that were traded for 1st round picks that could have been acquired. I'll take a combination of one of the WR's drafted 18-34 or even Kenny Pickett and a WR to be named with a top 5 pick in 2023 over what we gave up to get Olave. Not saying Olave isn't going to be good but he'd have to be Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones to make that trade worth it. He's more than likely going to be Brandon Cooks (slight framed WR that consistently gives you 1000 yards a year). Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not worth a possible top 5 pick, especially in a draft where the QB position is loaded. So no, Chris Olave is not worth what we gave up to get him. We drafted him more because he was the most NFL ready receiver in the draft and because he complemented Mike Thomas's skillset the best of any WR in the draft class. We all know how that ended up. Will he be a bad pro, I doubt it. Will he be the game changer you need to justify giving up such a draft haul (and we're only talking about the 1st round pick in 23, not the other picks that were given up to take him), I would bet against it.

The pick itself? Sure. What it took to get that 11th pick? Not so much.

I love Olave, but the trade was awful. Literally everything had to work out perfectly for it to work out. Olave has been incredible but I still am doubtful that the trade was worth it…and that reinforces just how bad that the trade was.

Don't have memory loss. The Saints had no WR's last year. Olave is a very bright spot in a horrible season with huge upside.

Loomis must get a 1st rounder for Payton or else the fanbase will go apoplectic.

This thread is like a who's who of pessimism on this board lol. Olave was a great pick. Move on.

Slander keeping the 17th for Penning if you need something to complain about from that trade.

The Saints are not in a good place for the future, but the Broncos win the prize for "OMG, they are up poop creek" in the upcoming seasons. The Rams can at least say they won a Super Bowl from their complete purging of draft capital (and I'm still bitter about it). The Broncos sold out to get Wilson and may not even get a single winning season out of it.
This can’t be understated enough. The Rams fans are probably fine with not having a pick, they won a Super Bowl with Stafford, and while he is out for the season, he will be back next year. They are fine.

The Broncos on the other hand…lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom