Our first-ever win over Denver, in 1988 (1 Viewer)

I was working at Toys R Us at the time and was only getting random updates while I worked.

I’ve been in the mood this week to find these old games :)

In 1988, Elway’s Broncos came to town tied for first in the AFC West. The Saints held a two-game lead in the NFC West. In a nutty twist of fate (and blown opportunities), neither team made the playoffs that year — but not before the Saints offense played maybe their best game of the entire Jim Mora era and shut out the Broncos 42-0.

Hebert finished the day with Brees-like numbers in terms of completion percentage. Mayes ran for over 100 yards and the Dome Patrol did what it did pretty much every week. Enjoy!

I was at this game. I remember sitting a few seats from some Broncos fans. The Saints were just manhandling Denver. It seemed that we could do no wrong that day. Neither the Saints fans nor the Broncos fans could believe what they were seeing. I spent a lot of the 4th quarter practically apologizing to the Denver fans for dominating their team all day. I would say, "Trust me, we NEVER play like this! It's just a fluke!"

At least I got those poor folks to chuckle a bit in their misery.

My dad got three discount Tixs from Keesler AFB. Believe me when I say we put a whopping on the Broncos that day. Elway had no answer for the Saints D. Bobby looked like an All Pro putting the ball everywhere he wanted too. My 15 year old self left the Superdome thinking we were the best team in the NFL after that game. My brother and I never will forget that feeling. :) Whodat

The PPE in those days were much different than today.
Back then the helmets were smaller and the shoulder pads were a lot bigger!

I was at this game. I remember sitting a few seats from some Broncos fans. The Saints were just manhandling Denver. It seemed that we could do no wrong that day. Neither the Saints fans nor the Broncos fans could believe what they were seeing. I spent a lot of the 4th quarter practically apologizing to the Denver fans for dominating their team all day. I would say, "Trust me, we NEVER play like this! It's just a fluke!"

At least I got those poor folks to chuckle a bit in their misery.

I was there too. Still have the ticket stub. :winkthumb:

Checking back in to point out some little-known factoids on this game.

Two big names (with other teams) of the ‘80s played in this game — Dwaine Board and Tony Dorsett.

Board was a former all-pro DE with the 49ers who was signed by the Saints just before this game. Didn’t make much of an impact and faded away.

Dorsett, a HOF’er, had been replaced in Dallas by Herschel Walker and spent his final year in football with the Broncos.

Fast forward to18:50, and notice the cornerback is in some sort of a 4 point stance. I’ve never seen that before!

Attachments

• BFEC0A9B-FBF2-4625-926B-C311DA206965.jpeg
    BFEC0A9B-FBF2-4625-926B-C311DA206965.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 3
Indeed. In the ‘80s, teams could still play hard-nosed defense ;-)
[/QUOTE
Indeed. In the ‘80s, teams could still play hard-nosed defense ;-)
The large, ever-increasing number of long-and-recently retired NFL players who've suffered severe memory loss, lack of oxygen to their brains, suffering from confused, decorating dementia-like symptoms, rapid, often violent personality shifts or mood swings long after their careers ended and several, notable NFL players, legendary greats like Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, Mike Webster, Kenny Stabler, Andre Waters either committing suicide or were found post-morten to have severe cognitive brain damage from CTE. Not excusing his sociopathic, murderous behavior or extreme narcissist tendencies, but OJ Simpson probably has had since the late 80s.

Most of those above-mentioned players I just mentioned played in the 1980s and because of the vicious, hard-nosed football still permitted 35 years ago, that is one, huge primary reason why the game has changed and the FACT THAT NFL FO ISNT GOING TO EASILY ALLOW SOME OF ITS TOP PLAYERS , WHO MAKE $10-15 MILLION/YEAR GET HURT AND HURT AND HAVE IT HURT BUSINESS. The all-CAPS section was done to exclimate a loud, defiant message to NFL FO and executives that we know they've longed play favorites and if let's say, some severe helmet-to-helmet blow to head happens to some perennial 2nd string QBs like Trevor Sieman or Case Keenum, the overall reaction will be far less severe, and more muted then if a similar injury were to occur to Russell Wilson or Lamar Jackson.

Think I'm too cynical? Then you havent been watching enough NFL games, the patterns, trends, and inconsistencies and frankly hypocrisies the NFL FO and Goodell have shown and are brash enough to push or agree to even if the risk of exposure is too high or obvious. Sometimes, they don't care what large segments of the NFL viewing public or demographics believe to be true or unsubstiaited but plausible rumors about them.

Checking back in to point out some little-known factoids on this game.

Two big names (with other teams) of the ‘80s played in this game — Dwaine Board and Tony Dorsett.

Board was a former all-pro DE with the 49ers who was signed by the Saints just before this game. Didn’t make much of an impact and faded away.

Dorsett, a HOF’er, had been replaced in Dallas by Herschel Walker and spent his final year in football with the Broncos.
I think Dorsett's time in Dallas became limited and his eventual expiration date set when Cowboys signed Walker from the USFL and by the mid-80s, Dorsett wasn't the elusive, dominant Payton-esque MVP caliber player he'd been in 1981 or 1982.
I also don't believe if you had told a young Tony Dorsett on the verge of being drafted by Dallas in 1977, "Hey, look the team you're going to will win the SB your rookie season, and you'll return again, the next season in 1978, lose a close one, but after that, you will a lot of great, individually statistical seasons, be one of the best RBs of your era, but in terms of SB appearances, you better enjoy your first two seasons, because after that, the next decade is going to be filled with a lot of close, heartbreaking losses in postseason."

I don't know how I would've have reacted if I were told that in Tony Dorsett's shoes.

You'd probably be distracted by wondering why you were wearing another man's shoes.

MY most vivid memories of Broncos winning were:

1. In the SP era (I forget which game), some Bronco defender was WAY offsides, but the flag was never thrown. The Saints lost as a result
2. In the 2016 game a Bronco stepped out of bounds in a long run back, it wasn't called and the Saints lost.
3. In the 2000 game, the Broncos ran for like 290+ yards and the Saints had no answer for it

After scoring 42 points in that 1988 meeting, we wouldn't score that much again until Beer Man's career game against Washington in 2002 when he returned both a punt and kickoff for TDs en route to us winning 43-27. We were one of only two NFL teams to get skunked on 40 burgers for the entirety of the 90s. Only Tampa Bay also failed to break 40 for that entire stretch.

You'd probably be distracted by wondering why you were wearing another man's shoes.
I meant that in a figurative sense, Pink Floyd. I mean, 75-80% of Dorsett's Cowboys prime years, like from 1979-1983, or 84 he was on some very good, SB-contending teams that lost back-to-back close, NFCCGs, especially the 1981 NFCCG, "The Catch" game?

Is it okay for me to call you that as like a nickname, BTW?

I meant that in a figurative sense, Pink Floyd. I mean, 75-80% of Dorsett's Cowboys prime years, like from 1979-1983, or 84 he was on some very good, SB-contending teams that lost back-to-back close, NFCCGs, especially the 1981 NFCCG, "The Catch" game?

Is it okay for me to call you that as like a nickname, BTW?

Yeah, that's perfectly fine. No one can ever guess where the "black" comes from though cuz it's too common a word and the inspiration for its place in my user name is far too obscure in the first place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom