Our Inability to Adapt on Offense Perplexes Me (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
I realize we lost our starting QB, but this goes back to the Winston games. I'm sitting here watching the Redzone Channel and there is so much that other teams do that we don't even attempt. Other teams have bailout plays like quick slants, hitches, and intermediate crossing patterns. Often, those are one, two reads max and pull the trigger. Yet, every passing play we do seems to be a 7 step drop with a full field read.

I understand there are times when you want to attack the whole field. But there are also times when you need a 2-point conversion and the best play available is to snap the ball and hit a guy on a quick in before the defense even reacts. It's like we don't have that stuff in our playbook. Is Michael Thomas the only WR on the team who can run a slant route? Everything we do is so slow developing.

Payton is technically capable of scheming anything, but our inability to change things up and manufacture offense at times with quick hitters and high percentage throws perplexes me. It's like we have one mode and we never deviate from it. But with a backup QB, you would expect more half-field reads, quick throws, and fast-developing routes. Instead, it's like Brees is still out there, except we don't have Brees, and that's not working out very well.

I realize we lost our starting QB, but this goes back to the Winston games. I'm sitting here watching the Redzone Channel and there is so much that other teams do that we don't even attempt. Other teams have bailout plays like quick slants, hitches, and intermediate crossing patterns. Often, those are one, two reads max and pull the trigger. Yet, every passing play we do seems to be a 7 step drop with a full field read.

I understand there are times when you want to attack the whole field. But there are also times when you need a 2-point conversion and the best play available is to snap the ball and hit a guy on a quick in before the defense even reacts. It's like we don't have that stuff in our playbook. Is Michael Thomas the only WR on the team who can run a slant route? Everything we do is so slow developing.

Payton is technically capable of scheming anything, but our inability to change things up and manufacture offense at times with quick hitters and high percentage throws perplexes me. It's like we have one mode and we never deviate from it. But with a backup QB, you would expect more half-field reads, quick throws, and fast-developing routes. Instead, it's like Brees is still out there, except we don't have Brees, and that's not working out very well.
I said this in the Gameday thread and was told it was because we do not have the players to execute screens, jet sweeps, etc. I disagree with this assessment. Payton is not calling these types of plays. We can easily draw up creative plays with what we have and practice running them for game day. I guess you have to have all top draft picks to have plays outside of runs and quick check down/short passes.

I really think M.T is the only true reciever on this team. Hard to execute quick read plays with subpar recievers. Being able to make your move, react, maintain focus and make the catch in heavy traffic all in essentially 1.5 seconds is difficult

What can they do to make the players they have, better? I say not much, that is why many of the players that are currently playing, were backups. There are limitations, both from the mental aspect and the physical aspect. I could play football but had limitations, regardless of how good my coaches were.

In ability to generate offense is maddening. I made a comment in the GD thread that sometimes maybe just a sandlot approach to a play might be in order. Forget the playing 3D chess moves. We need yards and TD's. Throw it, catch it and run for the end zone.

What can they do to make the players they have, better? I say not much, that is why many of the players that are currently playing, were backups. There are limitations, both from the mental aspect and the physical aspect. I could play football but had limitations, regardless of how good my coaches were.
Nothing I said in my post is complicated stuff that requires great players. In fact, it's the kind of stuff you'd expect a team to run when they don't have great players.

Something I've noticed league wide. Put a backup QB in and get conservative then NFL defenses are going to feast on them. You can't put a lesser player in and cut your playbook in half and expect success.

You can alter your game plan to fit the backup QB but you can't go run or short pass on 1st and 2nd down then ask your backup QB to get in a rhythm or bail you out when he is only throwing into defenses that know a throw is coming.

When you do that teams are going to sit on routes and get all over receivers. It is exactly what we have done the first 3 quarters the last three weeks.

As bad as the passing game has been, the run game which is supposed to be our bread and butter is painfully mediocre at best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom