Our Inability to Adapt on Offense Perplexes Me (1 Viewer)

What's frustrating is that people have been begging him to go down to Guitar Center and he refuses.

We knew going into this year that we had one legit receiver, and he's been injured since last year. We've known for 3-4 years that Brees' last days were upon us. Yet we do basically nothing at the QB and WR position over multiple years. We don't re-sign Emmanuel Sanders either, who now has 531 freaking yards for the Bills. We refuse to ever draft a QB high to start the development process. The Patriots bit the bullet and made the move to get Mac Jones and look how that's turned out.

I know fans aren't smarter than the coach, but Payton shares some blame in the personnel crisis. Even fully healthy, this was a bad WR corp relying on a reclamation project at QB (Winston did end up playing decently).
The Patriots didn't get Mack Jones when Brady was on the roster. They went and got an NFC South retread to lead them to a high draft pick to get Jones. It's fun to pretend the Pats and Brady split up and they never missed a beat though.

Who do you give up for Emmanuel Sanders? We are maxxed out. If we had Emmanuel Sanders would you expect the same production with Trevor as he has had with Josh Allen? I mean, off the top the Bills are throwing 25% more than the Saints. Per snap he is averaging less yards and catch than Harris. I honestly don't think Sanders changes a whole lot in this offense. We are missing the big physical WR that can catch in traffic and the list of available guys that fit that mold last year are not impressive. I guess we could have drafted Terrance Marshall but Callaway has greatly outperformed him so I'm not sure how that changes anything.

The plan was for this defense to dominate. The plan was for our offensive line to give us a good running attack. The plan was to have a guy that can manage games while occassionally stretching the defense and maybe have to win a game or two in a shoot out. The plan was to have MT13 dominate the quick passing game and pull focus from AK. Ak was supposed to be part of the short passing game, running attack and used to create mismatches while preventing teams from doubling CGM. The plan was to have Harris stretch the field and punish teams that focus too much on MT13 and AK. The plan was to have TQS as a blocker and utility WR that can do a little bit of everything. The plan was to have a couple guys that could fill in for one of the above in a pinch. The plan was to have Hill capable of lining up at WR, TE, QB, RB or FB to make it really difficult for teams to match up based on personnel while adding a player that can make plays to the mix. The plan was to have Ty Montgomery to be able to play WR/RB for depth. The plan was to have Tony Jones Jr be the guy that can come in and get the tough yards and relieve AK. The plan was for Trautman to come in and provide a valuable target at TE, something we are finally starting to see mid way into the season.

We aren't just missing MT13 and AK. We are missing so many other pieces that were supposed to make up for the shortage at WR.

Despite that, we should be sitting within a half game of the #1 seed but we lost a pro bowl kicker that ends up costing us a few games. Nobody on here was begging for us to draft a kicker because we all thought we had one. There was zero reason to think MT13 wouldn't be ready for the season when we were drafting let alone any reason to think he would be out for the year.

Maybe it’s because the oline is so inconsistent week to week. No chemistry. Shows us how great those lines were from 2006 - 2019.
Hard to have any chemistry when week to week you don't know who will be available and guys are moving positions just to field 5 guys on the OL. Tough situation and one where I don't see how it gets better until we get some starters back.

When 90% of your routes are underneath routes, you can't get separation. How about a double move to get open when the D is sitting on these underneath routes?
Doesn't seem complex to me.
Yeah, I’m not that expert in football but I was thinking the same: is it that difficult to run a corner or a stop and go? A curl without giving away the depth of the comeback?

Offensive lineman who can execute in the run game are a dime a dozen. We should have begun the process of stacking the practice squad/deep depth with big guys who suck in pass protection but can road grade. We're obviously not going to be good through the air so we should be able to find personnel to push the line of scrimmage. The only way Peyton is can flip the script this year is to embrace the dirty yards. NFL defenses are not setup to handle 5 maulers and 2 run blocking TE's anymore.

Who do you give up for Emmanuel Sanders? We are maxxed out. If we had Emmanuel Sanders would you expect the same production with Trevor as he has had with Josh Allen? I mean, off the top the Bills are throwing 25% more than the Saints. Per snap he is averaging less yards and catch than Harris. I honestly don't think Sanders changes a whole lot in this offense. We are missing the big physical WR that can catch in traffic and the list of available guys that fit that mold last year are not impressive. I guess we could have drafted Terrance Marshall but Callaway has greatly outperformed him so I'm not sure how that changes anything.
I know where 10M in cap space is going right now that would've been better served going to Sanders.

We screwed ourselves capwise 2 years ago when we put a 1st round tender on a player that no one else wanted...it was a gamble using the cap as collateral and we lost, then we had to restructure that bad offer sheet to the tune of the 10M we're paying this season...take away those two mistakes and we'd have one more skill player on our roster today

Hard to have any chemistry when week to week you don't know who will be available and guys are moving positions just to field 5 guys on the OL. Tough situation and one where I don't see how it gets better until we get some starters back.
That’s the point I was making.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom