Our Inability to Adapt on Offense Perplexes Me (1 Viewer)

I realize we lost our starting QB, but this goes back to the Winston games. I'm sitting here watching the Redzone Channel and there is so much that other teams do that we don't even attempt. Other teams have bailout plays like quick slants, hitches, and intermediate crossing patterns. Often, those are one, two reads max and pull the trigger. Yet, every passing play we do seems to be a 7 step drop with a full field read.

I understand there are times when you want to attack the whole field. But there are also times when you need a 2-point conversion and the best play available is to snap the ball and hit a guy on a quick in before the defense even reacts. It's like we don't have that stuff in our playbook. Is Michael Thomas the only WR on the team who can run a slant route? Everything we do is so slow developing.

Payton is technically capable of scheming anything, but our inability to change things up and manufacture offense at times with quick hitters and high percentage throws perplexes me. It's like we have one mode and we never deviate from it. But with a backup QB, you would expect more half-field reads, quick throws, and fast-developing routes. Instead, it's like Brees is still out there, except we don't have Brees, and that's not working out very well.
Your ability to adapt is dependent to some degree on your personnel. Down 1 or 2 starters you can have the next man up mantra. Down 7 starters you start to make decisions with guys who haven't been in that position any before. You are limited in what you can do.

Last edited:
IMG_9168.jpg

Zero separation
This is exactly what I am talking about. 3rd and 4. Every WR ran to sticks and turned around when defenses are sitting on these routes. Of course they didn't get separation. I'm guessing first and second down included a very basic run between the tackles and a short designed passing play to get us to 3rd down so we can ask our 4th string QB to make a play to our 3rd string WR's doing exactly what the defense is focused on stopping.

It's this perfect recipe for failure.

Sad thing with the receiver talent after today is with Big Fish’s death, we are down one more receiver. Some might say “addition by subtraction”, but I say bull crap, as bad as he was, we are still down one receiver that Trevor had continuity with.

I’m not a gambling man, but I see this team viewing the quarterback situation next year the same way they viewed the receiver options this year, unaddressed and unprepared.

Payton needs to bring in some fresh football minds to help with him. It's no surprise all our analyst got poached after 2018 and it feels like we are playing with the same stale playbook since then.

Need more talent as well.

I really think M.T is the only true reciever on this team. Hard to execute quick read plays with subpar recievers. Being able to make your move, react, maintain focus and make the catch in heavy traffic all in essentially 1.5 seconds is difficult
Yeah exactly. Guys…. These receivers are really really bad. Can’t do much with what has to be a historically bad receiving corps

Nothing I said in my post is complicated stuff that requires great players. In fact, it's the kind of stuff you'd expect a team to run when they don't have great players.
Bonchie, I really respect the heck out of you, but there is a reason why teams constantly try to upgrade their position groups. You can’t expect to run any play with below average/average (at best) players. This is the NFL. Our offensive players can’t even do basic fundamentals. I mean, we trotted out Kevin White for crying out loud. SP was so enamored by what his measurables “could do” instead of what he has always been. It reeked of desperation and SP is probably feeling deflated bc he can’t even call a basic game plan with these guys. I’ll say this a million times….it’s all on SP. I don’t fault the players that much bc they are trying, but they have limitations (and lots of it) unfortunately. He’s gotten to the point of beyond ultra conservative. SP is a dang SB winning coach, who knows darn well how to assemble a competitive team. Somewhere the past couple of years, he lost his way on offense. His two biggest downfalls:
1.) He has “types” to a fault
2.) he takes too long to correct his own mistakes. Stubbornness or procrastination. Either one can apply.

Nothing I said in my post is complicated stuff that requires great players. In fact, it's the kind of stuff you'd expect a team to run when they don't have great players.
It's complicated when you are relegated to running "simple stuff" that the opposing defense can stop in their sleep.
You cannot get too exotic to disguise screens when 3 of your 5 linemen are down, starting qb and rb. So the defense reads a key immediately and diagnoses faster than normal because we are having to run some rudimentary plays.

That's the issue. And we can't even execute simple stuff.

Again, Payton has been off this whole season.

Some misconceptions about today's game.
The Eagles had 0 sacks, Saints had 3. The Eagles had 4 tackles for a loss, the Saints had 7. The Eagles ran for 4.8 yards per carry, the Saints ran for 5 yards per carry. The Eagles only averaged 6.1 yards per attempt passing. The Saints averaged more yards per play.

The difference in this game was turnovers which led to a huge time of possession advantage which leads to a worn down defense which led to 12/21 3rd down conversions for the Eagles.

The turnovers came in the short passing game. These were high risk, low reward plays that the Eagles clearly focused on stopping, we simply failed to adjust.

I'm OK with playing small ball but we don't have the horses to push our will on to teams. We can't line up and play traditional football. We can't even stretch the field horizontally with AK out. We have to run jet sweeps, ghost motion, screens that can go to either side of the field. We have to go in bunch formations, use rub routes, throw WR screens. If we want to play the short game it has to be creative play calling to give these guys a chance.

No matter what your game plan looks like, when you see 8 man box and defenders sitting on every route you have to take some shots.

I'm beating a dead horse at this point so I'll shut up and move on.

Bonchie, I really respect the heck out of you, but there is a reason why teams constantly try to upgrade their position groups. You can’t expect to run any play with below average/average (at best) players. This is the NFL. Our offensive players can’t even do basic fundamentals. I mean, we trotted out Kevin White for crying out loud. SP was so enamored by what his measurables “could do” instead of what he has always been. It reeked of desperation and SP is probably feeling deflated bc he can’t even call a basic game plan with these guys. I’ll say this a million times….it’s all on SP. I don’t fault the players that much bc they are trying, but they have limitations (and lots of it) unfortunately. He’s gotten to the point of beyond ultra conservative. SP is a dang SB winning coach, who knows darn well how to assemble a competitive team. Somewhere the past couple of years, he lost his way on offense. His two biggest downfalls:
1.) He has “types” to a fault
2.) he takes too long to correct his own mistakes. Stubbornness or procrastination. Either one can apply.
Salary cap might have something to do with it. Can’t pull receivers out you arse.

Salary cap might have something to do with it. Can’t pull receivers out you arse.
I believe a vested veteran’s salary is 25% guaranteed, if not on the week 1 roster. We have been pretty active in multiple trade talks before the deadline. If they were willing to take on those salaries, then there is no issue with signing a FA during the season. That would be right in Loomis’ wheelhouse

Just imagine if we had chase clay pool instead of Cesar Ruiz. We need better 50/50 ball winners to box out/bully DBs that would compliment Kamara and Ingram in the run game. Yes, it may shorten the field but if you can wear down your opponent, why not?
PREACH!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom