Our Inability to Adapt on Offense Perplexes Me (1 Viewer)

The market price for elite WRs has boomed. We’re still going for Parcells big guys like Peat & Ruiz when we should bite our tongue and draft WRs at the top of the draft.

SP is like this amazing guitar virtuoso who was mistakenly handed a banjo with two strings missing. There's only so much you can do. Even for an offensive guru like SP there comes a point where you can't overcome the lack of talent.

What kind of scheme would work with a backup QB, a banged up O line, WRs who can't get open, and no all world RB?

Who do you feel it falls on?
This is a problem with Curtis Johnson. I was told otherwise a few months ago, but in the end, this falls on him. We have an average QB that played below average yesterday. We have a squad of receivers that have been playing subpar all season.

SP is like this amazing guitar virtuoso who was mistakenly handed a banjo with two strings missing. There's only so much you can do. Even for an offensive guru like SP there comes a point where you can't overcome the lack of talent.

What kind of scheme would work with a backup QB, a banged up O line, WRs who can't get open, and no all world RB?
What's frustrating is that people have been begging him to go down to Guitar Center and he refuses.

We knew going into this year that we had one legit receiver, and he's been injured since last year. We've known for 3-4 years that Brees' last days were upon us. Yet we do basically nothing at the QB and WR position over multiple years. We don't re-sign Emmanuel Sanders either, who now has 531 freaking yards for the Bills. We refuse to ever draft a QB high to start the development process. The Patriots bit the bullet and made the move to get Mac Jones and look how that's turned out.

I know fans aren't smarter than the coach, but Payton shares some blame in the personnel crisis. Even fully healthy, this was a bad WR corp relying on a reclamation project at QB (Winston did end up playing decently).

As bad as the passing game has been, the run game which is supposed to be our bread and butter is painfully mediocre at best.
You are not going to get any solid run game going with 3 pro bowl OL missing! Plus the players we are putting out there are playing mix and match positions (hurst to RT and rookie starting at LT)!

What's frustrating is that people have been begging him to go down to Guitar Center and he refuses.

We knew going into this year that we had one legit receiver, and he's been injured since last year. We've known for 3-4 years that Brees' last days were upon us. Yet we do basically nothing at the QB and WR position over multiple years. We don't re-sign Emmanuel Sanders either, who now has 531 freaking yards for the Bills. We refuse to ever draft a QB high to start the development process. The Patriots bit the bullet and made the move to get Mac Jones and look how that's turned out.

I know fans aren't smarter than the coach, but Payton shares some blame in the personnel crisis. Even fully healthy, this was a bad WR corp relying on a reclamation project at QB (Winston did end up playing decently).
You feel that way about WR but not so much about QB

When 90% of your routes are underneath routes, you can't get separation. How about a double move to get open when the D is sitting on these underneath routes?
Doesn't seem complex to me.

Some of the problem falls on Payton and the coaches. You can't get blood from a stone. The team failed to get the players they needed to be successful. And they lost Brees, then Winston, Hendrickson, Sanders, Thomas, Lutz, and on and on. So now, Payton doesn't have the players he needs to execute his game plans.

It reminds me of the time the Saints played the Vikings. Zimmer is supposed to be a defensive coach, but he just didn't have the quality of players he needed. So, it was a good result for the Saints. We may be seeing the mirror image this season; Payton doesn't have the players he needs to execute his offense.

Last edited:
It’s not an inability to adapt… it’s an overall lack of talent, compounded by losing a premier RB and 2 of the top OTs in the entire league! Also… the entire machine is being run by a 3rd string journeyman backup QB with little arm strength and very little scrambling ability. I mean Siemian legit almost tripped himself spiking the ball in the end zone after his career long run!

I see no reason why the couldn’t run the same offense that just curb-stopped them in Philly, only with Taysom Hill at QB and a better stable of RBs.

It’s not an inability to adapt… it’s an overall lack of talent, compounded by losing a premier RB and 2 of the top OTs in the entire league! Also… the entire machine is being run by a 3rd string journeyman backup QB with little arm strength and very little scrambling ability. I mean Siemian legit almost tripped himself spiking the ball in the end zone after his career long run!

I see no reason why the couldn’t run the same offense that just curb-stopped them in Philly, only with Taysom Hill at QB and a better stable of RBs.
Because Taysom has a foot injury which negate his scrambling ability and he is one hit to the head from retirement.
More importantly with game tape of Taysom's inability to throw the long ball defenses will just compress closer to the line of scrimmage to stop the running game and dare us to pass.

I realize we lost our starting QB, but this goes back to the Winston games. I'm sitting here watching the Redzone Channel and there is so much that other teams do that we don't even attempt. Other teams have bailout plays like quick slants, hitches, and intermediate crossing patterns. Often, those are one, two reads max and pull the trigger. Yet, every passing play we do seems to be a 7 step drop with a full field read.

I understand there are times when you want to attack the whole field. But there are also times when you need a 2-point conversion and the best play available is to snap the ball and hit a guy on a quick in before the defense even reacts. It's like we don't have that stuff in our playbook. Is Michael Thomas the only WR on the team who can run a slant route? Everything we do is so slow developing.

Payton is technically capable of scheming anything, but our inability to change things up and manufacture offense at times with quick hitters and high percentage throws perplexes me. It's like we have one mode and we never deviate from it. But with a backup QB, you would expect more half-field reads, quick throws, and fast-developing routes. Instead, it's like Brees is still out there, except we don't have Brees, and that's not working out very well.
Maybe it’s because the oline is so inconsistent week to week. No chemistry. Shows us how great those lines were from 2006 - 2019.

Preaching to the choir brother. Preaching to the choir. I'd love to know the FO's philosophic approach to the WR position. I'd like to know where they rank it in terms of relative value and if that will change in the post Brees era. They used most of their resources to build up the LOS on both sides of the ball. Sometimes wisely, sometimes not so much. But it's been clear for years that MT needed a sidekick. By the time they brought in Manny Sanders it was too little too late.

I can understand why they didn't draft QBs though. SP shed some light on this when he was on the Dan Patrick show. The Mahomes draft was brought up and SP talked about their eternal debate about drafting a player to help win now while they have Drew or to take a QB with an eye on the future. They put all of their eggs in the Brees basket and came up short.

I’m sure this idea has never crossed Payton’s mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom