Our last 10 1st Round Draft Picks (1 Viewer)

Not at all, Wilfork was clearly the better pick at the time of the 2004 draft. The Patriots sprinted to the ballot box overjoyed and in disbelief, over my yells of outrage. Smith was a solid starter, but no more helpful than Ellis in winning the SB, and less helpful than Meachem.

The Ingram pick is the one that will go down as "should have known better" with hindsight.

I respectfully disagree...

Smith > Ellis

One can always make better selections with hindsight.

At the time, Ellis and Jenkins, for whom I still have hope, were good picks. Thankfully in 2008 Kansas City rejected the bundle of high picks we offered to pick Glenn Dorsey.

A recent pick--or trade--that was just bad was the Ingram deal. He is simply not talented enough to warrant a even a low first round pick, and the price of a one and a two for any less than special running back in today's game is much too high. Ego and shortedness drove that trade.

And we seem to forget how special Bush was in his career before the injuries. He was not a conventional back bit was special given how Payton used him, opening up the offense for others.

Alot of LATE 1st round picks that have played well. How many expect a late 1st rounder to play lights out all pro football. Bush, Ellis, and Sullivan are the only ones I'd expect All-pro, best at your position production, and 2 of the 3 played starter level football. Maybe Brown and Jenkins.

Will Smith has amply repaid the #18 pick we used. Meachem did a fair job justifying the #27. Brown justified his pick Jordan looks on his way to doing so. Bush maybe didnt live up to #2 billing but he did well. Robinson and Jenkins are looking sketchy at the moment. Ellis is going to end up having been sketchy for #7. But only Sullivan is a bust.

I'd say we're batting a little over average in the first.

I don't know. It's not all gloom and doom but "over average" depends on what you expect out of a first rounder. In most cases, you want a first rounder not only to start but to star. That's especially the case for a top ten. In that vein:

Smith - Home Run - way more value than the pick (but one player does not sway the average - we're not grading on the curve)

Meachem - Was never really a starter - The Saints could have gotten that much value from a lower pick - below average for the pick.

Brown - A good pick. An on target value for a high pick (despite the fact that his career was cut short)

Jordan - Incomplete grade but looks to be above average

Bush - A #2 pick should be a home run hitter - especially when it's a running back. Bush wasn't - below average.

Robinson - Has actually looked good at times but, overall, is not a first rounder - below average.

Jenkins - Has shown he can be good and I don't necessarily count last year against him. Again, though, not a big hit. Considering the fact he was a low draft pick, I've got to say slightly below average (and that could change next year in either direction)

Ellis - Traded up to get him and didn't live up to anything. The Saints could have had that value in the 2nd or third round. Way below average.

Sullivan - duh (in so many ways).

Ingram - Not a regular starter, and considering the Saints traded up to get him, I'd say pretty below average.

So, of all of those 10 picks, I rated 7 of them as below average. That's below average over all.

So here's our last 10 1st Round Draft picks

2011 24 Cameron Jordan
2011 28 Mark Ingram
2010 32 Patrick Robinson
2009 14 Malcolm Jenkins
2008 7 Sedrick Ellis
2007 27 Robert Meachem
2006 2 Reggie Bush
2005 13 Jammal Brown
2004 18 Will Smith
2003 6 Johnathan Sullivan

Ellis and Sullivan were busts
Jenkins is decent and could still save himself from being labeled that
Brown was a great 2 Pro Bowler Tackle but injuries didn't let us get all the usage we could have gotten
And Bush was probably the best pick out of all of those but he didn't match his #2 pick status

SO what do you guys think? What has kept us from drafting play makers with early picks and do you think this year it all changes?

Write your comments to let us know what you think

Just one question....which one was/is a playmaker?

No one?....then these guys are all below average. A first rd pick must have the ability to be a playmaker....and only W Smith and C Jordan comes close.....the rest :scratch: :idunno:

History would say that we should always trade out of the first round, gather some extra picks and go for the cheap gambles. There has been much more success, with SP, in the later rounds, which end up costing much less, and could be traded, extended, or resigned after they prove their worth in the first place.
Giving a huge contract on hope rarely pays off.

History would say that we should always trade out of the first round, gather some extra picks and go for the cheap gambles. There has been much more success, with SP, in the later rounds, which end up costing much less, and could be traded, extended, or resigned after they prove their worth in the first place.

That is very true....but our track record isn't near as good with regard to the defensive picks...Sean Payton is doing great with his offensive picks only...

It's so funny to hear what people actually consider a bust

It's also funny when people acknowledge that Sullivan was a bust, but then group guys like Ellis in there with him....do u really not see the difference?

Meachem was the closest thing to a bust aside from Sullivan because he really only contributed 1 good year and has since dropped off to a nobody in San Diego...yet fans give him a pass

Why does meachem get a pass for his career that never panned out but guys like Ellis, Jenkins, Ingram, etc who have contributed since day 1 don't get a pass?

I have to agree with you here. I hate when people call guys busts. There is so much more that goes into it, than just the players. I would consider Sullivan the only one that was just not NFL ready, and that's due to him not being in shape, better said, uncoachable.

Instead of calling guys busts, you have to look at the system they are going to, the coaches there, the philosophy and much more. We got what we needed from Reggie, but what if he was drafted by Miami, and utilized like he is now from day one?

There is a reason so many teams keep drafting in the top 10-15...often its a philosophy from coaches years gone that's still hanging around, GMs and owners (as if) that should have been fired years ago, poor scouting and just trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

But, by all means, keep calling guys busts that don't play like you.think they should.

P.S. As for Meach, he was blessed to come into a system that accentuated his talents. We have others on the team benefiting from good offensive coaching. Once they leave, you will see them on somebody elses bench, just like Meach.

That's true on offense but we desperately need the early picks for defense, since our late-round picks on defense have been bad. In fact, our early picks on offense have been under-productive (Ingram, Meachem) and later picks over-productive. On defense, we need the early picks just to stay afloat. Or even better, to trade (e.g. Vilma).

So how is this for a model: use picks 1-3 to trade for proven defensive starters, and use picks 4-7 to draft offensive gems. Because that's what we're good at.

Meachem caught 700+, 600+, 600+ for us as an important part of our passing game. He was a lte first rounder. He repaid us for the pick.

And he single handed won that Washington game that was so important for us. If Meachem don't provoke that fumble, we have played the Vikings at their home.

That play was one of the biggest in our Super Bowl season.

No one?....then these guys are all below average. A first rd pick must have the ability to be a playmaker....and only W Smith and C Jordan comes close.....the rest :scratch: :idunno:

Birdog brings to the table the main reason why people are dissapointed about our first rounders. The lack of playmaking ability.

Of all of them, only Smith, Jordan and Bush could qualify as playmakers. But being honest, you can't expect all of your 1st rounders to be so, specially when you are drafting defensive and offensive tackles.

As for corners and receivers, if you look just a few of the ones drafted turn to playmakers.

I don't think we are doing bad with our first rounders, but we haven't hit a homerun though.

Wow, Reggie was not a playmaker? Stop the insanity. I've seen Reggie do some pretty magical things, like flipping and flying OVER other players. If there is 1 of our past 10 1st rd picks that was/is a playmaker, then it would be Reggie.

Patrick Robinson is NOT going to develop into a great corner. You guys are using the "P" word with a player who is going into his fourth season. If he hasn't developed by now, then he isn't going to.

I have to agree with this

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, Reggie was not a playmaker? Stop the insanity. I've seen Reggie do some pretty magical things, like flipping and flying OVER other players. If there is 1 of our past 10 1st rd picks that was/is a playmaker, then it would be Reggie.

Your correct and incorrect at the same time. He would do all thay fancy stuff and get a yard for it.

Bush was above all things very inconsistent. His only real good season with us was in 09, and he was at his best in the playoffs against arizona. That game, he was a playmaker. Heck, nost of that year he was. But, most of the rest of his tenure with us he was a dud with loads of hype until he went to miami whos offensive scheme and oline is focused around the run game

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom