Our last 10 1st Round Draft Picks (3 Viewers)

Does it bother anyone that of that list, only Will Smith made it past his rookie contract?

Your correct and incorrect at the same time. He would do all thay fancy stuff and get a yard for it.

Bush was above all things very inconsistent. His only real good season with us was in 09, and he was at his best in the playoffs against arizona. That game, he was a playmaker. Heck, nost of that year he was. But, most of the rest of his tenure with us he was a dud with loads of hype until he went to miami whos offensive scheme and oline is focused around the run game

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm assuming by "focused around the run game" you mean more than 5 rushes a game?

Even if he becomes a bigger contributor, Ingram is going to be a pick that hurts for a while. RBs can be had in the middle to late rounds and we needed another shot at a playmaker on defense, or even just a starter.

Homerism is strong on this forum. Look, I'm sure all these guys are great people and I'll always support them as saints. But you can't sit there and tell me that Sullivan, Smith, Robinson, Ellis, and Ingram aren't busts. In my opinion, a bust doesn't necessarily mean the person tanked their career, it means the value they gave weren't worth the pick. Ingram was not and never will be worth trading back into the first round. Unless he rushes for 1,000 and 12 tds next season. But let's face if, we could draft a running back in the third round that could do the same thing. Ellis and Sullivan are the epitome of busts. Why would you take will smith at 18? Seriously, just because you need a defensive end doesn't mean you take him. He might have had 1-2 RESPECTABLE seasons. Meach was not a bust because we got good value out of a 27 pick. Bush is not a bust because he added a whole new dynamic to this team.

Your correct and incorrect at the same time. He would do all thay fancy stuff and get a yard for it.

Bush was above all things very inconsistent. His only real good season with us was in 09, and he was at his best in the playoffs against arizona. That game, he was a playmaker. Heck, nost of that year he was. But, most of the rest of his tenure with us he was a dud with loads of hype until he went to miami whos offensive scheme and oline is focused around the run game

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Being inconsistent doesn't mean you are not a playmaker. Many playmakers are not consistent. Bush had plenty of big runs, big pass receptions, punt returns for TD's and I can't count how many key third down conversions he made in the passing and running game. He also fumbled and sometimes gave ground and gave up a few yards in an attempt to try to make the huge play when he should have just put his head down and got what was there. But, that's the nature of a playmaker. If he consistently made all those plays, he would be more than a playmaker, he would be a hall of famer. And, he is not that at this point in his career, but he still can and does make big plays. Was he worth the #2 pick? In a vacum where you only look at his numbers, probably not, but I doubt that we win the Super Bowl without him so maybe he was worth it.

Homerism is strong on this forum. Look, I'm sure all these guys are great people and I'll always support them as saints. But you can't sit there and tell me that Sullivan, Smith, Robinson, Ellis, and Ingram aren't busts. In my opinion, a bust doesn't necessarily mean the person tanked their career, it means the value they gave weren't worth the pick. Ingram was not and never will be worth trading back into the first round. Unless he rushes for 1,000 and 12 tds next season. But let's face if, we could draft a running back in the third round that could do the same thing. Ellis and Sullivan are the epitome of busts. Why would you take will smith at 18? Seriously, just because you need a defensive end doesn't mean you take him. He might have had 1-2 RESPECTABLE seasons. Meach was not a bust because we got good value out of a 27 pick. Bush is not a bust because he added a whole new dynamic to this team.

Ellis has been a starting DT on this team since he got here and he has played solid that entire time. Is he a great player? Obviously not. Do you want more from the #6 pick? Absolutely, but any time you draft a guy who starts for you for five years playing solid football, he is not a bust. He's a disappointment because you expect more from #6, but he's not a bust.

And Smith has more than justified the #18 pick in the draft. He too has started from day one and has played anything from above average to great football every year for ten years. He is currently overpaid because he is probably only playing at the above average level right now, but in no way was he a bust. He was great value at that pick.

As far as Ingram, by you own admission the jury is still out on him, but to expect any RB to get 1,000 yards and 12 TDs in our system is just silly. If he goes out averages above 4 yards per carry, makes first downs and scores when given the opportunity he will be worth a late first round pick and what we traded to get into that spot. And, the fact is he is our starting RB so I'm not sure how you can ever call that a bust. A bust is a guy like Sullivan who never starts or only starts a few games despite being a top 15 pick.

Ellis has been a starting DT on this team since he got here and he has played solid that entire time. Is he a great player? Obviously not. Do you want more from the #6 pick? Absolutely, but any time you draft a guy who starts for you for five years playing solid football, he is not a bust. He's a disappointment because you expect more from #6, but he's not a bust.

And Smith has more than justified the #18 pick in the draft. He too has started from day one and has played anything from above average to great football every year for ten years. He is currently overpaid because he is probably only playing at the above average level right now, but in no way was he a bust. He was great value at that pick.

As far as Ingram, by you own admission the jury is still out on him, but to expect any RB to get 1,000 yards and 12 TDs in our system is just silly. If he goes out averages above 4 yards per carry, makes first downs and scores when given the opportunity he will be worth a late first round pick and what we traded to get into that spot. And, the fact is he is our starting RB so I'm not sure how you can ever call that a bust. A bust is a guy like Sullivan who never starts or only starts a few games despite being a top 15 pick.

That's exactly my point, exactly about Ingram. We could have got guys that did the exact same thing in later rounds. Didn't say they were bad, I said they weren't worth their value. Why draft a running back in the first round, especially trading up to get him, in a system like ours? A third rounder could do the exact same thing.

That's exactly my point, exactly about Ingram. We could have got guys that did the exact same thing in later rounds. Didn't say they were bad, I said they weren't worth their value. Why draft a running back in the first round, especially trading up to get him, in a system like ours? A third rounder could do the exact same thing.

You are making an assumption that we would have gotten a guy that good in later rounds and there is no way to guarantee that. Look at Antonio Pittman. We got him in later rounds and he was terrible. In addition, you can say that about every position on the field. Even great QB's are sometimes drafted late and some terrible QB's are drafted early. Look at Brady. Heck, even Brees was a second rounder. You can even get players as undrafted free agents that are better than first round picks at every position. But, that does not mean that you just wait until the end of the draft before you get a player at certain positions.

The reason that RBs tend to go later than normal is not because you can get better or just as good of a player later it's because there careers are so short that it devalues the pick. But, that does not mean that you don't take one that you really like early. And, late in the first round, even giving up picks to get there, really isn't that much to give up for a starter at RB. And, honestly, I'm not a big Ingram fan. I'd personally rather see Ivory get his carries, but he's not a bad player and he's not a bust given where he was drafted.

Patrick Robinson is NOT going to develop into a great corner. You guys are using the "P" word with a player who is going into his fourth season. If he hasn't developed by now, then he isn't going to.
Robert Meachem disagrees with you.

Ive lost hope in P.Rob also. I think he is what he has been through college and the NFL. An inconsistent player.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Here's how I see it (career and/or future potential along with draft position considered):

2011 24 Cameron Jordan too early, but looks good
2011 28 Mark Ingram too early, but has promise
2010 32 Patrick Robinson jury is still out, shows flashes
2009 14 Malcolm Jenkins has flashed things, but not as promising as he was
2008 7 Sedrick Ellis not a complete bust, but a huge disappointment 3/10
2007 27 Robert Meachem slight disappointment 5.5/10
2006 2 Reggie Bush good, but not great 7/10
2005 13 Jammal Brown had some very solid years 8/10
2004 18 Will Smith some very solid years despite many peoples' current hate 8/10
2003 6 Johnathan Sullivan complete bust 0/10

Totally agree! :9:

Meach was a 7/10 when he actually played, but it took him forever to learn the system, get healthy, and contribute regularly. That's why I agree with your 5.5/10.

On Sed, I might go 4/10, because he has played from day 1, but I see your logic.

Sed Ellis would have been a very solid pick if we had picked him in the 3rd round.

You are making an assumption that we would have gotten a guy that good in later rounds and there is no way to guarantee that. Look at Antonio Pittman. We got him in later rounds and he was terrible. In addition, you can say that about every position on the field. Even great QB's are sometimes drafted late and some terrible QB's are drafted early. Look at Brady. Heck, even Brees was a second rounder. You can even get players as undrafted free agents that are better than first round picks at every position. But, that does not mean that you just wait until the end of the draft before you get a player at certain positions.

The reason that RBs tend to go later than normal is not because you can get better or just as good of a player later it's because there careers are so short that it devalues the pick. But, that does not mean that you don't take one that you really like early. And, late in the first round, even giving up picks to get there, really isn't that much to give up for a starter at RB. And, honestly, I'm not a big Ingram fan. I'd personally rather see Ivory get his carries, but he's not a bad player and he's not a bust given where he was drafted.

Ingram was a waste of a pick, therefore he is a bust. I can literally name many undrafted running backs that can do what he does. They're a dime a dozen. What did big time Will Smith have that Wilfork didn't have? What did 6'1 DT sedrick Ellis have that 6'4 red Bryant didn't have? We have a history if drafting people that were good in college because they were well polished, not because they were high potential players. These are the types if guys that get drafted high and are busts. They're well polished in college and thus look better than they are. It happens every year. Look what we've done lately. We drafted RAW, unpolished Akiem Hicks in the third round. He will be WAY better than sed Ellis. What did johnathan Sullivan have that Kevin Williams didn't have? Again we drafted a well polished player with little upside simply because he dominated college competition with a better technique, not because he was physical dominant. It happens every year. Let me name some players from last years draft that were taken in the first round because they were well polished with no hpside that will be busts - brandon weeden and Shea McClellan. Now players that were drafted because they have a ton of upside - Claiborne, Bruce Irvin, chandler jones, nick perry. We need to stop drafting polished players who turn out to be "solid" nfl players and go after the freaks in the first round ie clay Matthews, JPP, P Willy. All were considered raw but look what has happened. Look at Hicks, Evans, and Graham. We have the coaches that get the most out of guys with high upside, why draft polished players.

So here's our last 10 1st Round Draft picks

2011 24 Cameron Jordan
2011 28 Mark Ingram
2010 32 Patrick Robinson
2009 14 Malcolm Jenkins
2008 7 Sedrick Ellis
2007 27 Robert Meachem
2006 2 Reggie Bush
2005 13 Jammal Brown
2004 18 Will Smith
2003 6 Johnathan Sullivan

Ellis and Sullivan were busts
Jenkins is decent and could still save himself from being labeled that
Brown was a great 2 Pro Bowler Tackle but injuries didn't let us get all the usage we could have gotten
And Bush was probably the best pick out of all of those but he didn't match his #2 pick status

SO what do you guys think? What has kept us from drafting play makers with early picks and do you think this year it all changes?

Write your comments to let us know what you think

Ellis and Sullivan? What about Ingram? All that money and draft expense -- he doesn't even come close to a Chris Ivory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom