Our Linebacking Tradition - Continued? (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this since last year. As I've shown, I've been a Saints fan since the beginning. I always wanted something to hang my hat on as a Saints fan. Kept wondering if we would ever have something that we could pin-point as a true aspect of the Saints - something that makes the Saints - well, the Saints. I think I finally have it. The Linebacking Corps.

If you think about it, this makes sense. The Dome Patrol.

Pat Swilling
Rickey Jackson
Sam Mills
Vaughn Johnson

The Best Linebacking Corps of all time. Bar None! Yes, the Steelers had a great corps too with Lambert and Ham, but they weren't as good as the Dome Patrol. Close, but no Cigar.

When that unit was on the field and playing, you just knew we always had a chance to win a game. I still remember the game against Philadelphia. They had the best D-line that has probably ever been assembled, and it included Reggie White and Jerome Brown (?). I think that was his name. I remember when they were on the field, they would show Johnson and Mills on the sideline pointing to the screen saying things like wow, when they were making plays. I remember that the Dome Patrol was killing their team. Of course, Randall wasn't playing in that game, either. But still, one of the best defensive games I have ever witnessed.

Now, we have a new unit, and it is great as well, especially when we get Anzalone and Ellis back.

A. J. Klein
Demario Davis
Alex Anzalone
Kaden Ellis
Kiko Alonso

They haven't received the name recognition yet that the Dome Patrol has, but it is well on its way. It helps that the rest of the Defense is also supreme. The Dome Patrol had a very good D-Line, but no Secondary, other than at Safety. Dave Waymer was good, but he was really all we had at Corner in those days, and he was at the end of his career.

Point in all of this is, our Linebacking unit now is becoming as good as the old Dome Patrol. We still have to remember that the difference is that there were 4 on the field back then in the 3-4 we ran under Steve Sidwell, and now there are only 3 - most of the time only 2 - and they are backing up a D-line that is just as good as they are! Then, you add in the Secondary we have now, which is the best - by far - we have ever had, and we now have something.

Now, I'm not saying that this unit is the Dome Patrol. Only that we can hang our hat on them, because they are a very recognizable unit out on the field. They make plays, are always around the ball. Can even cover, for heavens sake!

I miss the Dome Patrol days. But, I now have something that I can use to help me reminise. Geaux Saints.

I wish we were close to the Dome Patrol, but we're not. Our best LB is Davis, and he would have been a backup behind those four.

If we are looking for a historical positive, perhaps it is that we have the best secondary we have ever had.

I wish we were close to the Dome Patrol, but we're not. Our best LB is Davis, and he would have been a backup behind those four.

If we are looking for a historical positive, perhaps it is that we have the best secondary we have ever had.
I disagree. I think Davis could have given Vaughn Johnson a run. Not saying he's better, only that he is right there with him.

Mostly concur. Despite the multiple DC's, we've had better secondary units under Payton than in any other era in franchise history. The current bunch, especially when Lattimore is in the lineup, is perhaps the best.

I have been thinking about this since last year. As I've shown, I've been a Saints fan since the beginning. I always wanted something to hang my hat on as a Saints fan. Kept wondering if we would ever have something that we could pin-point as a true aspect of the Saints - something that makes the Saints - well, the Saints. I think I finally have it. The Linebacking Corps.

If you think about it, this makes sense. The Dome Patrol.

Pat Swilling
Rickey Jackson
Sam Mills
Vaughn Johnson

The Best Linebacking Corps of all time. Bar None! Yes, the Steelers had a great corps too with Lambert and Ham, but they weren't as good as the Dome Patrol. Close, but no Cigar.

When that unit was on the field and playing, you just knew we always had a chance to win a game. I still remember the game against Philadelphia. They had the best D-line that has probably ever been assembled, and it included Reggie White and Jerome Brown (?). I think that was his name. I remember when they were on the field, they would show Johnson and Mills on the sideline pointing to the screen saying things like wow, when they were making plays. I remember that the Dome Patrol was killing their team. Of course, Randall wasn't playing in that game, either. But still, one of the best defensive games I have ever witnessed.

Now, we have a new unit, and it is great as well, especially when we get Anzalone and Ellis back.

A. J. Klein
Demario Davis
Alex Anzalone
Kaden Ellis
Kiko Alonso

They haven't received the name recognition yet that the Dome Patrol has, but it is well on its way. It helps that the rest of the Defense is also supreme. The Dome Patrol had a very good D-Line, but no Secondary, other than at Safety. Dave Waymer was good, but he was really all we had at Corner in those days, and he was at the end of his career.

Point in all of this is, our Linebacking unit now is becoming as good as the old Dome Patrol. We still have to remember that the difference is that there were 4 on the field back then in the 3-4 we ran under Steve Sidwell, and now there are only 3 - most of the time only 2 - and they are backing up a D-line that is just as good as they are! Then, you add in the Secondary we have now, which is the best - by far - we have ever had, and we now have something.

Now, I'm not saying that this unit is the Dome Patrol. Only that we can hang our hat on them, because they are a very recognizable unit out on the field. They make plays, are always around the ball. Can even cover, for heavens sake!

I miss the Dome Patrol days. But, I now have something that I can use to help me reminise. Geaux Saints.
Playing well but no where close to the Dome Patrol. Davis is a true every down LB that this team needed. Klein is playing well but slow to the edge and not very good in coverage; plus in the back quarter of his career. Alonso is playing well but also is a little older. Ellis looked to have promise but still needs to develop. Anzalone has shoulder problems, not good for LB longevity. A fast, young LB is a need in the 2020 draft.

Dome Patrol was in another dimension our LB core is good for sure but no where near as good as the Dome Patrol. If we had that defense with the offense we have had the past 4 or 5 years we would be a dynasty.
True. This thread was not to say they are as good as the Dome Patrol. It's to state that we have a tradition, and that is our Linebacking Corps. With the drafting of Stephon Anthony, the Saints began to try to mold a Corps. Couldn't help that Anthony had the instincts of a Tortois. Still, they went out and brought in Mike Nolan to improve this unit, and he has. They help to tie the defense together. Great D-Line and Secondary, tied together by the Linebacking Unit. Gotta love it.

True. This thread was not to say they are as good as the Dome Patrol. It's to state that we have a tradition, and that is our Linebacking Corps. With the drafting of Stephon Anthony, the Saints began to try to mold a Corps. Couldn't help that Anthony had the instincts of a Tortois. Still, they went out and brought in Mike Nolan to improve this unit, and he has. They help to tie the defense together. Great D-Line and Secondary, tied together by the Linebacking Unit. Gotta love it.

Tradition may be a strong word. I remember 1 great LB corps, and a few decent ones. To me, that doesn't make a tradition. I wish it was, teams with a great LB corps are perennial winners.

Defense isn't the same anymore. In the 80s we ran a 3-4 and all four of the Dome Patrol was in just about all the time.

These days we're in sub package more than 60% of the time - that means two LBs and, on occasion, just one.

Agree that the D, as a whole, has been great.

But outside of Davis, this ain't no Dome Patrol LB core.

We won't see another Dome Patrol, just like we probably won't see another Drew.

Not really sure Anzalone is going to be counted on going forward, seems like a chronic injury with him and his shoulder...Ellis has done nothing to be added to the list....Davis and Klein have solidified that unit.

Our best tradition and position of strength throughout the franchise’s history has been at running back imo.

When (or if) Alex Anzalone and Kaden Elliss get on the field full time without serious injuries, our LB corps might approach the Dome Patrol. But, as of now, that is a big IF.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom