Our new 3-4 defense in nickle and dime situations... (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think we have good discussions about which players may get the starting positions in our new 3-4 allignement, but let's understand that on this we are talking mostly first down.

With the enfasis on throwing the ball, defenses are subject to play more on nickle and dime packages most of the time.

I think of 3 interesting things that may happen then:

I think both Lofton and Hawthorne are the main candidates to start as inside linebackers, with Martez Wilson and Junior Gallete rushing from the outside.

1) On nickle and dime situations, with two linebackers staying for coverage, I can see Martez Wilson and Roman Harper taking those assignements. Wilson may be our best bet as a coverage linebackers as of now, and Harper may slide in the position, as he did last season.

2) If we only keep one linebacker for coverage, Martez then may be the guy. For that reason it is crucial to get at least another rush linebacker.

3) I wonder if Lofton's role will be reduced, I don't think he will be a 3 down linebacker in the new formation. I wonder if he will be the appropiate player to have the communications system with the defensive coaches.

Maybe it is too early, but I think it is an interesting discussion to have.

I love Lofton and Hawthorne as the middle backers in their "thumping" role which i believe they will excel at, sound tacklers and hard hitters.

What does concern me on non-obvious passing plays (1st or 2nd down) is the pass coverage and sideline to sideline speed that is required for one of the middle backers in a 3-4. No not every team has a Patrick Willis but they have someone that fills the Willis role in coverage. We know Hawthorne doesn't do well at this, and the knock on Lofton is his coverage ability. Will be interesting to see how our new coordinator addresses this issue whether he tries Wilson at RILB, or we add another player through FA or the draft.

I wish Harper and Martez were better at coverage, I think GW was very good at putting the players in the right position to make plays, where Spags wanted them to fit his system, we do need talent, but losing a 2nd and trading up for 1st round picks has cost our talent base, love to see us bank picks like NE, trade back for a 1st next year and stuff like that to build the year ahead and always have more than our reg picks each year instead of less. Hope the new Coordinator is good at fitting players to what they do best

Of our LBs...Hawthorne is probably the best in coverage. Wilson just hasn't done much of it yet. He has the athleticism, but reading on offense is actually a skill.

Nickle defense implies 5 DBs. Dime implies 6 DEs. But how the DE/OLB are organized varies. The Saints could run a 2-4, 3-3, or 4-3. The 3-3 makes the most since if you run a 3-4 base.

2-4 defense:
DL: Hicks
DL: C. Jordan
LB: Galette
ILB: Hawthorne
ILB: Castillas
OLB: Wilson

3-3 defense:
DT: T. Johnson
NT: Hicks
DE: C. Jordan
OLB: Galette
ILB: Hawthorne
OLB: Wilson

4-2 defense:
DE: Galette
NT: Hicks
DT: T. Johnson
DE: Jordan
LB: Hawthorne
LB: Wilson

The draft would obviously change how this is done. I think that D. Jordan would have the greatest effect on our nickle and dime situations (assuming that J. Jones is gone). He would likely play OLB opposite to Galette and Wilson would move to ILB. Ansah would likely play the same position that Galette would play because of his limitations in coverage, so it would be Galette v Ansah and Wilson at the other OLB spot.

when u run a 3-4 and then u run nickel or dime u have a 4-2 alignment, the ends kick in to DT and the olb go to the line of scrimage acting as standing up defensive ends rushing the passer

nickel 4-2-5
re galette
dt cam
dt hicks
le tez
lolb lofton
rolf hawthorne

in the dime u ussually take ur best defensive end and put him at nose in a 3-2-5 alignment soo
RE galette
DT jordan
LE tez
LOLB lofton
ROLB hawthorne

but i do see gallette being better in a 4-3 because he is better with his hand in the dirt, look for us to draft a super fast outside blitzing linebacker like jarvis, dion jordon, mingo, or ansah to replace gallette and be our starting ROLB, just my opinion

Nickel packages will be a 2-4-5 or 3-3-5 line up. Both are utilized in base 3-4 defenses as well as the 1-5-5. Green Bay runs a lot of 2-4-5. When 4-3 defenses come out in dime they'll be in a 4-1-6 look with the 4 down lineman usually being the teams 4 best pass rushers. Another dime look is a 3-2-6.

Is everyone just assuming that Vilma is gone? Sure, he is undersized to play the OLB in the base 3-4, but I could see him making an impact in passing situations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom