Our OL can't do this zone blocking, can we find something they can do? (1 Viewer)

SaintsJunkie

BREES HOF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We have tried to find players to fit our scheme , is there a scheme these OL would be better at?

For some reason I now have Adam Ant stuck in my head.
Don't drink , Don't Smoke, What Do you Do?

I thought we were moving away from the zone blocking scheme? Well, it would be foolish to keep running it if we didn't have the personnel for it.

All this to me just speaks to the challenge of building an elite team. There is ALWAYS a weakness, and we have found out that the only way is thru great drafts. Now last season we knew defense was a huge problem, we moved in FA and the draft to try to fix that glaring problem. Many will argue about picking a WR with 2nd, but our FO must have felt it was needed more than OL. Was it the right choice? Lets see. But my point is, there will always be a weakness, ours right now is OL. At least we are not trying to find a great player at the most important position.

The scheme doesnt matter if the players cannot dominate their 1 on 1 battles.

Dan Roushar giving Saints offensive line new life after disappointing year | NOLA.com

Remember this article that came out last May about the change in OL coaches? I don't know why it has been such a difficult change for these guys but the product we are seeing has been not been what is expected. How much time in needed to "gel" as an O line?
Does anyone know Dan Roushar's philosophy and scheme and has it been successful elsewhere?

All I know is coach Payton and Roushar go way back in to the same alma mater N. Illinois.

We have tried to find players to fit our scheme , is there a scheme these OL would be better at?

You asked:

Armstead came from Ark Pine-Bluff, a friends son played with him there. They ran a spread offense, actually, I think they ran a no-huddle spread offense, and that's what we drafted Terron Armstead from. We brought him into the NFL, and changed the way he plays...

Lelito comes from Grand Valley State, where they run No-Huddle Spread with four WR, throwing bombs, bc the QB bring the defense up. They always have a QB that can scat, and it makes it difficult for the defense...the OL has an easy job.

Zach Strief comes from Northwestern, a place that says they pioneered the spread offense with more success than most: Schell Game: MANBALL, The 2013 NU Offensive Attack | Lake The Posts | Northwestern Football and Basketball Blog He is a big guy, and even his cookbook is named "When you are biggest guy on the team". guy that big needs to move, get a little momentum going. It's why many big OL like run blocking better than pass blocking. Spread offense helps them...not to mention the QB, on the move helps them, makes life easier

Max Unger came from Oregon. Come on now, do we even need to discuss that? Hell, his coach is in the NFL right now innovating it to bring the Spread, full time, to San Francisco...with much anticipation. Now, I don't care for Chip, and hope he fails, but, I am curious to see if he will have the anticipated success in the NFL that he had in College and in Philly.

Peat is about the only one that we have drafted, or got undrafted (I know we have more, but trying to let you see), coming from Stanford, that ran formations somewhat opposite of a spread. But, even there, he played with Luck, he got on the move often.

So, to answer your question OP, yes...there is definitely something that they all can do...quite well. We have a crop of O-Linemen that is ready and trained to run a spread offense or even a Green Bay style, where the QB rolls out more, instead of the full spread. Get them a Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers....hell...Kaepernick type guy, and you will see a different line. These guys are having trouble, and we have lost the guys that are traditional, pro-style Offensive Linemen. They have retired, moved on and signed elsewhere or whatever. You take these guys, and say, OK, now I need you to make a 5 second pocket for Brees to throw...

You may as well ask them to tie their dominant hand behind their back next game.

We are in a conundrum, and that's for sure. The shotgun, pistol and read option has taken over college ball. Most QB that are having success in college are in one of these offenses, and most linemen come in, knowing how to block for this...not a pro style. Coaches like Pete Carroll have adjusted, and others are adjusting. It makes it difficult and Tom Cable was on TV talking about it last year on one of the networks...here just went and found a link. You can see here that he has been complaining for a few years now: Tom Cable: Spread offenses in college are

“I’m not wanting to offend anybody, but college football, offensively, has gotten to be really, really bad fundamentally,” Cable said Tuesday on 710 ESPN in Seattle. “Unfortunately, I think we’re doing a huge disservice to offensive football players, other than a receiver, that come out of these spread systems. “The runners aren’t as good. They aren’t taught how to run. The blockers aren’t as good. The quarterbacks aren’t as good. They don’t know how to read coverage and throw progressions. They have no idea.”

There are a broad range of offenses using spread principles at the college level and the teams employing them are making those decisions based on what they think will win them games. That may not match up with what Cable or other coaches are looking for, but we’ve seen teams adapt by installing some of those elements in their own playbooks. Without any developmental or minor league in place, that’s going to have to continue as long as those schemes remain in vogue at schools around the country.

Bottom Line, unless you are the Best coach ever (BB), with the Best QB ever (TB), you are going to have a hard time staying up, if you don't adjust. A Team running one of the offenses, with a mobile QB, has been in the SB, every year since...

12-13 - SF
13-14 - Seattle
14-15 - Seattle
15-16 - Panthers

Now you have others entering the league like Jameis Winston and Dak Prescott, who can run just as much as throw. Just to name a few...while we are still trying to build a Steel Curtain like the 70's Steelers. BTW, Dak Prescott is from my area of the world...Haughton Louisiana (Bossier guy here). When I tell you that this boy is a dual threat and is going to be trouble, believe it. If he does half in the NFL that he did to my old Alma Mater and other schools...Romo won't see the field again. Unless colleges start changing, we are out of synch, and need to adapt.

maybe they can all hug each other and reduce the gaps for the defenders :ezbill::ezbill::hihi:

maybe they can all hug each other and reduce the gaps for the defenders :ezbill::ezbill::hihi:

Funny you say that, bc, two seasons ago, my boys were getting killed in the backfield on pass plays. I'm a D coach for teens, but man we had to say something to the OL coach. We told him to just have the guys fake block and fall down...clogging up the line. Worked like a charm.

We need better talent.
It's a combination.

Even when we ran the ball better with Nicks and Evans we have still have never been good in short yardage when everyone has to man up and move their guys off the ball a yard and the defense is expecting run...physical ability has to win.

We get stuffed 8 times out of 10 and always have in the Payton era and that tells me there's just something off in the approach to running the football or it's consequence of the kind of linemen we draft and sign.

He goes back and forth between trying to force the thing and get the yard on the ground and giving up and calling gadget plays to get a 3rd and 1. And when we do run the only thing that seems to have a chance of success is giving it to the FB to bull forward for the yard, but then we become predictable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom