Our options at #10 (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all...

I know that our options at #10 are plentiful... take our guy at 10... we could trade up... we could trade down... or we can even pass (yeah like that's gonna happen)... but the fact remains this is a chance to get better as a team... not just the Saints... but all 32 teams.

Our options at 10 (assuming we keep the pick) will come down to maybe 4 players that could make an impact immediately.

Now I don't base my entire decision on the senior bowl... I understand that one game does not justify taking a guy higher or lower than the rest of his college career has earned... I've read alot on the board since the Senior Bowl game about how you never heard a guy's name (Keith Rivers) called... basically using this one game as a barometer.

Guys like Dorsey, Ellis, Matt Ryan, Darren McFadden, Vernon Golston, Brian Brohm, and Jake long will more than likely be long gone by the 10th pick... so... this is my opinion.... the foloowing guys will be available at 10, and assuming we take the pick... one of these guys may be a Saint on draft day... enjoy!

Note... this is not my wish list... I'm simply probviding info for you guys/gals to use for your own entertainment purposes.

=============================================

Dan Connor - ILB Penn St

Youtube - Penn St vid with Connor sprinkled in it.

52 second MSN Video

NFL Draft Dog

Draft Countdown

Strengths:

Is tall with adequate bulk and room on his frame to get bigger. Displays good natural instincts. Is physical, tough and aggressive, but also disciplined. Plays with a mean streak and his motor never stops running. At his best when he's protected and playing in space. Reads his keys quickly, takes solid angles in pursuit and shows good closing burst to the ball carrier.

Weaknesses:

Shows some stiffness in his hips. Good quickness laterally and coming forward, but takes a bit too long in transition when turning and running. Will have some trouble sticking with quicker RB's one-on-one in coverage. Character issues could play a factor in his draft stock; he was suspended for three games in 2005 after being cited for harassing phone calls.

Scouts Inc

Keith RIvers - OLB USC

53 second MSN Video

Draft Countdown

Consensus

<OBJECT height=355 width=425>
&ampnbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AXYE-hXNN-c&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT>

Strengths:

Possesses excellent size-potential. He's tall with adequate bulk and room on his frame to get bigger. Displays very good speed and athleticism. A sideline-to-sideline run defender. He refuses to stay blocked. Uses his hands well to sift through traffic and has a knack for disengaging. Shows great awareness and natural instincts.

Weaknesses:

Still has room to improve in terms of lower-body strength. Plays too high at times and loses his power when he does. He has great burst through the line but struggles to get off blocks once reached on the blitz

Scouts Inc

Kenny Phillips - FS Miami

Consensus

*** Not alot of information on the net for Phillips...

Aquib Talib - CB Kansas

A bunch of Youtube Vids

Concensus

FF Toolbox

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB Tenn St

Draft Countdown

NFL Draft Scout

Concensus

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State, 6-2, 182, 4.44
Only questions about Rodgers-Cromartie's level of competition keeps him from being ranked higher. A spectacular all-around athlete, Rodgers-Cromartie captured first place finishes in the 60-yard dash (6.89), long jump (25-00.75) and high jump (6-09.5) and led the Ohio Valley Conference last season with six interceptions.

A strong showing at a senior all-star game could catapult him into the first round.

CBS Sportsline

Strengths:

Shows adequate top-end speed and can use long arms to knock passes away when caught in a trail position. Gets adequate knee bend in backpedal and shows adequate closing speed coming forward. Reads quarterback's eyes, aggressive and jumps routes.

Weaknesses:

Doesn't have great bulk for frame and bigger receivers will have some success shielding him from the ball. Takes too long to open hips when forced to turn and run and lacks the second gear to recover once caught out of position.

Souts Inc

Leodis McKelvin - CB Troy St

Concensus

NFL Draft Ace

file://<OBJECT height=355 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qBZppozX2WE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT>
</P>
Strengths:
Very athletic...Has good size...Excellent timed speed with a burst to close...A solid tackler...Outstanding footwork...Great hands...Has fluid hips and is smooth in his transition...Natural man coverage skills...True playmaker who is a threat to take it the distance every time he gets his hands on the ball...Also a dynamic return man.

Weaknesses:
Relatively marginal instincts and anticipation...He doesn't have a lot of experience bumping at the line...Could do a better job in zone coverage...Too aggressive and plays a little out of control at times...Did not always play against elite competition.

Draft Countdown

Last edited:
don't really like any of those options at #10. sure hope the FO comes up with something special.

Mike Jenkins going to be gone at 10?

Cause I'll take him all day over those 2 CBs...

I wouldn't be upset if Highsmith is the pick at 10

That would be a disaster but it would not surprise me.

not necessarily. All indications so far is that Highsmith is going to be a very good OLB in the NFL, and would make a great impact on the Saints' defense. It doesn't look like he'll be available by the Saints' pick in the second round. I remember many people screaming about the Colts reaching for Dwight Freeney at 11 back in 2002. If Highsmith winds up ranking as high or higher than Rivers, I don't think it's a bad pick at all for the Saints. BTW, I am not the biggest LSU fan around, so I have no rooting interest other than the Saints getting better.

That would be a disaster but it would not surprise me.

I don't think it would be a disaster. A reach, without doubt, but not a disaster because Highsmith is going to be a solid WLB in the NFL. However, if the Saints really were targeting Highsmith (which I doubt), it would be a whole lot smarter to trade down and then pick him.
The same could be said for most of the names Droopy has listed, with the exception of Rivers, so unless he's the pick, I'd also think the Saints best option would be to trade down if they are targeting any of the other names on that list.

I'd still love to see us land Ellis, but especially after his outstanding showing in the Senior Bowl, the Saints definitely will have to trade up if they are to draft him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom