Our Running Game (1 Viewer)

The problem with your stat sheet is it doesn't tell us how good their run blocking was. I doubt those guys, in their rookie system, ran behind a brand new coaching staff and brand new offensive line.

I just think as offensive minded as Payton is, he can come up with some way to get Bush some yards running. Those long stretch plays the Colt's run and some type of counter action play where Bush can cut back and pick his hole would be some good plays to get him positive yards. We also haven't been using him out wide like we did early on and where did the screen pass go?

I love Bush just as much as any other Saints fan and I think the most important stat is our record.. but -5 yards on 11 carries just isn't acceptable. He needs to work on his running game and at least get positive yardage.

This thread is useless without a smiley...

:elefant:

It's a nice problem to have. If this is our biggest issue then let me go to stub Hub and get a playoff ticket. :)

I think that if any of you watched the game today, you would know that Bush could have had about a maximum of 11 yards on those same 11 carries if he ran optimally. He never had an open lane.

The problem with your stat sheet is it doesn't tell us how good their run blocking was. I doubt those guys, in their rookie system, ran behind a brand new coaching staff and brand new offensive line.

I'd call this a non-issue given that Deuce's rushing numbers look much better. Why would the coaching staff matter? To a rookie, every coaching staff and system are new. That's really stretching things I'll tell ya.

Last edited:
So he's on par for a Jim Taylor-like career? Or Tiki?

Apparently not:

Tiki Barber: 136 att, 511 yds, 3.8 YPC, 3 TDs

Jim Taylor: 52att, 247 yds 4.8YPC, 1TDs

Both had higher YPC, especially taylor. It's actually hard to find an excellent RB that didn't have a better first year rushing. To claim that every one these guys didn't deal with the "problems" Bush is dealing with is naive.

It's a nice problem to have. If this is our biggest issue then let me go to stub Hub and get a playoff ticket. :)

Dude... I'm sure the RB coach takes Reggie into the filmroom and show him the holes that he's missing... at least I hope he is.

Reggie has been a playmaker ALL HIS LIFE, and regardless to what level he's at, he'll revert to what's been working for him ALL HIS LIFE. But sooner or later it'll register with him... that he's gotta be patient and let the blocks develop... then hit the hole. But until then we all will have to go thru this growing pain with him.

Also... does everybody realize that Reggie is a marked man? When he comes into the game, the ENTIRE DEFENSE is pointing him out... recognizing where he is on the field. So that means EVERYBODY has their eyes on him, and when he gets the ball EVERYBODY is trying to corrall him, and not let him get loose.

I'm willing to be patient with him... everybody else should too... just imagine our offense without him in there. Do you think aybody else on our offense could draw that much attention away from the other guys?

Apparently not:

Tiki Barber: 136 att, 511 yds, 3.8 YPC, 3 TDs

Jim Taylor: 52att, 247 yds 4.8YPC, 1TDs

Both had higher YPC, especially taylor. It's actually hard to find an excellent RB that didn't have a better first year rushing. To claim that every one these guys didn't deal with the "problems" Bush is dealing with is naive.

I'm not sure I would call my comments 'naive'...I think we are actually arguing the same point...

I think it's taking Reggie longer to move from 'just instincts' to a more methodical 'take what the defense gives you' approach.

And this is just me being obtsuse but what is your solution? Other than the list of HOF RB's had a better first year. Is it the O-line? Reggie over-hyped? Not as good? Different play calling?

Again, all the same team here:)

I think that if any of you watched the game today, you would know that Bush could have had about a maximum of 11 yards on those same 11 carries if he ran optimally. He never had an open lane.

Exactly. Gaps were filled immediately every time Bush was in the backfield. But like I said before, if teams are that focused on Reggie, good. Just keep putting 2-3 guys on him and we'll tear you up one on one with other players. It's all good to me. The most important stat is the W.

And the line will open better lanes eventually. It's a new unit and it takes time.

Not only does that stat list lack how good or bad the run blocking was or the fact that this is a new OLine and coaching staff (as Frag pointed out), it also doesn't mention that Bush shares carries with Deuce, or the fact that when some of those guys were playing, it was mostly white athletes. I'm white and I can admit there are more talented black athletes than white athletes overall so guys like Gale Sayers and Jim Brown weren't playing the best of the best.

How many of those guys on that list came out of college as the most hyped player in 10+ years (besides Michael Vick)? Bush was heralded as the next Sayers and Sanders before he DECLARED for the draft! And he's still technically a college senior. He's 21 freaking years old, let's remember.

And look at Deuce's numbers. Deuce, a Pro Bowl-calibur RB, is having trouble in several games. His average of 4.7 per carry is that high mostly because of the first Tampa game. Deuce just happens to be better atshedding tacklers and breaking tackles.

I'd call this a non-issue given that Deuce's rushing numbers look much better. Why would the coaching staff matter? To a rookie, every coaching staff and system are new. That's really stretching things I'll tell ya.

The coaching staff is new as is most of the OLine so THAT would be the issue. It's not so much they are new to Reggie, but new period to each other. We have a rookie RG who came from a Div. II-A, a rookie for all intents and purposes at RT, a LT who used to be a RT and only a second-year starter, a journeyman LG, and an oft-injured C. And not ONE of them played together last year for a significant amount of time nor did they play at their current positions for this team. As for Deuce, can we please quit treating Deuce like he's ascrub, because that's what these posts sound like. Deuce is a PRO BOWL-CALIBUR RB! He isn't trash, so yeah he should have better numbers than a 21-year old rookie.

The coaching staff is new as is most of the OLine so THAT would be the issue. It's not so much they are new to Reggie, but new period to each other.

So new that Deuce is averaging 4.7 per carry. I can hardly believe that anyone would float this as a reason when we have Deuce running behind the same damn line. Hey, maybe they like Deuce more?

Deuce is a PRO BOWL-CALIBUR RB! He isn't trash, so yeah he should have better numbers than a 21-year old rookie.

Look at Deuce's numbers and compare them to the ROOKIE years of those on that list. Some did even better. Great RBs traditionally show their rushing greatness in their rookie years and hold steady for their remaining years including... DEUCE MCALLISTER (who averaged 5.7 his rookie year and 4.3 his first year as a starter)! They don't "adjust" in the way that a QB does. They absolutley dominate rookie of the year awards.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom