Our secondary is a disaster (1 Viewer)

Wasn't that Payton's suspension year?

Yup. And when Payton got back, Spags said he wanted to replace Vitt and Johnson, so Payton got rid of Spags. It took a few years for Spags' image to recover from 2012, but then the Giants rolled the dice on him. In year one his defense was horrible, in year two his defense surged up to 2nd overall in scoring, finishing just behind the Patriots and better than Seattle. After the Giants 2017 debacle, Pat Shurmur let Spags go, and so the Chiefs brought him in. He turned around the Chiefs defense, won a Super Bowl, and now has the Chiefs defense maintaining a level of consistency that we all wish the Saints defense had.

Spags pattern is his defenses need time to settle in, but once they do, they're at least respectable. The Saints have an awesome run defense, but a secondary that might as well not even exist. It's brutal how easily teams complete long passes. The Panthers defense is bad, but they were expected to be bad with the insane amount of turnover their roster is dealing with. One does not simply replace players like Luke Keuchly. The Saints defense however was supposed to be one of the best in the league, with a secondary that was touted as being borderline Legion of Boom status. Instead... yeah... it is not good.

Definitely has to be based on yardage or PPG. I looked a week or so ago and was shocked to see us ranked so high, but that obviously doesn’t take everything into account.
Only thing I can think of is it takes our average of 8 in yards allowed per game. This leaves out penalties, which I think is a big deal when you lead the league in defensive penalties (like I said, it would be the difference between being ranked 8 & 20).

But it takes the 8 ranking and 20 in points allowed per game and averages those 2 numbers, which would be 14.

Again, this is just my guess, but if that’s how the ranking is done then I think it’s a pretty silly way to determine how good a defense is.
1) I have already pointed out how I think the 8th ranking in yards is misleading
2) it gives equal consideration to yards and points, when I think points allowed are much more important
3) While we are ranked 20 in points allowed per game, we are MUCH closer to being ranked 28 than 19. So again, I think just adding 8 to that 20 and dividing by 2 is misleading
4) It ignores all of the efficiency, situational, big play, and turnover information that I think is important when evaluating a defense, and how that defense affects the game.

Last edited:
We have the players. I just don’t know that I have the confidence in our scheme or in Allen anymore. Hope we turn it around, because if we make it, I don’t see this defense stopping or scaring anyone in the playoffs.
We have the athletes, but bad decision making by the players. They are not making the reads as the play is designed. Too many plays at least one db is out of position. It is either that or we need to fire DC and db coach because they are the problem

Marcus was a rookie that year. How's he a shell of himself when he was a rookie?
His rookie season was his best season THATS HOW no one ever progresses in our Secondary . They come in hungry showing potential and fall Flat or regress . I’m sick of it, I’m starting to actually wonder if Browner and Byrd were the problem or was it we tried to fit them into certain roles. I mean it’s just sad

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom