Our secondary is a disaster (1 Viewer)

That's just flat out false. New Orleans has the 8th ranked defense now.

Seriously what is the deal here??
No we don’t.

We’re 8th in yards, but it’s only that low because it doesn’t account for all of the penalties. We are first in pass interference and defensive holding penalties committed. That’s a LOT of yards we’ve surrendered but it doesn’t count against the #8 ranking on nfl.com (or wherever). But they are definitely yards our defense has given up and should be factored in.

We’ve also given up the 9th most points per game and are .8 away from the 4th most (whereas we’re more than 2 points per game away from moving in the positive direction to 10th).

And QB’s who face us average a 111.6 passer rating, which is bottom 3 in the league.

The yards without context is the only thing that says top 8 and it is very misleading. Everything else says we are at the bottom of the league.

Those aren't "bombs" anymore. They are routine now for every team that's not the Saints. That's what I'm trying to get people to recognize. Teams not named New Orleans get big passing plays. It's a thing, promise.
They are not “routine”.

We are tied for 1st in 40+ yard plays surrendered. The other teams are Minnesota, Dallas, Seattle, and Washington.

The Jets have given up the 2nd most.

That is horrible company when talking defense

No we don’t.

We’re 8th in yards, but it’s only that low because it doesn’t account for all of the penalties. We are first in pass interference and defensive holding penalties committed. That’s a LOT of yards we’ve surrendered but it doesn’t count against the #8 ranking on nfl.com (or wherever). But they are definitely yards our defense has given up and should be factored in.

We’ve also given up the 9th most points per game and are .8 away from the 4th most (whereas we’re more than 2 points per game away from moving in the positive direction to 10th).

And QB’s who face us average a 111.6 passer rating, which is bottom 3 in the league.

The yards without context is the only thing that says top 8 and it is very misleading. Everything else says we are at the bottom of the league.

Bull sir. If you want to play that game, we're just 13th in "combined defense" ranking. Stop the hyperbole.

They are not “routine”.

We are tied for 1st in 40+ yard plays surrendered. The other teams are Minnesota, Dallas, Seattle, and Washington.

The Jets have given up the 2nd most.

That is horrible company when talking defense

We are not in that company in combined defense. Where are you getting this?

Last edited:
Bull sir. If you want to play that game, we're just 13th in "combined defense" ranking. Stop the hyperbole.
You are just looking at raw yards.

There is a lot more to judging defense. Nobody would consider us in the top half (or close to it) of the league defensively.

I’ve provide the numbers and comparisons. So at this point, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. Nothing I posted was hyperbole though.

Minnesota is 5-0.....🙄
Minnesota is 1-5.

But in either case, I said “when talking defense”.

And their terrible defensive is a big reason why they have such a bad record. They are one of the few teams who give up more points than us.

You are just looking at raw yards.

There is a lot more to judging defense. Nobody would consider us in the top half (or close to it) of the league defensively.

I’ve provide the numbers and comparisons. So at this point, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. Nothing I posted was hyperbole though.
No I'm not. I just said "combined defense". That's takes everything into account.

Our secondary is below average, think about Carolina Panthers offense is barely average and they struggle against them after a bye week. The next time we play the Tampa Bay Bucs Tom Brady is going to pick us a part their receivers are Head and Shoulders above Carolina wide receivers the coaching is better and Tampa Bay just added Antonio Brown. I never thought I would say this but we definitely need to add Earl Thomas they should be on the phone with him today
No doubt we need help MW looks completely lost. Looks like he doesn’t know our defensive playbook. On the bomb he ran straight to the sideline to what looked to be an out route. Now I dont know what defensive scheme they were doing but I’m pretty sure it don’t include him vacating the deep middle of the field. With that being said what they need is to play physical football with emotion! I am seeing players avoiding contact in a contact sport. That tends to make me feel that they are trying to not get hurt instead of balls to the wall. I’m just saying that’s what it looks like to me. If I was DCoordinator I would have let the offense hit the showers and let them go home. I would have made the defense stay on the field and then we would do Bullring until this defense showed it could be physical. I hate the 9ers but I wish our defense played as physical as they do. They put a beating on the Pats!

can tell the problem is at safety position.
Agreed. This is the worst safety play since our starting safeties were Josh Bullocks and Kevin Kaesviharn.

The play is actually quite similar to those 07’-08’ teams - lots of busted plays. Lots of missed assignments. Lots of PIs and defensive holding calls. Terrible ball skills.

No I'm not. I just said "combined defense". That's takes everything into account.
Can you post this stat? It sounds like it just means yards and yards via penalty, but I might be wrong.

I don’t see how 1 stat could “take everything into account” (or how it could have us at 13 when we are ranked much lower than that in so many categories) but I’d be like to look. Good to see something new.

Yeah, secondary is leaky. But, on a bright side we gave up 37 yards rushing, 2.6 yards per carry average.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I still believe in our tandem of corners in Latt and Jenkins. Safety position is a definite weak spot. Overall, though, I still have hope for our defense.

Yeah, secondary is leaky. But, on a bright side we gave up 37 yards rushing, 2.6 yards per carry average.

Might not be a popular opinion, but I still believe in our tandem of corners in Latt and Jenkins. Safety position is a definite weak spot. Overall, though, I still have hope for our defense.
It’s getting mighty hard to hold onto hope for the secondary. I expect them to break down in critical situations. Might be PTSD from previous seasons, but that’s where I’m at. I haven’t seen anything to change my feelings so far this year outside of a couple INTs on Brady in the opener.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom