Our SpecialTeams .. still bad (1 Viewer)

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
The only time we have a positive play on ST it is due entirely to an individual effort (Morstead nailing a coffin corner, Tommylee making a guy miss, etc).

We have guys running on the field at the snap for punt returns, Byrd returning the deep punts but obviously not knowing where he is on the field (psst, Jairus, a line drive to you at the 10 needs to either be returned or allowed to fly into the endzone .. coach shoulda told ya).

The only reason our kicker of the future was in position made the gamewinning kick was because he shanked an earlier one.

It's more of the same, over and over and over.

Our coverage teams seem to have taken a step up. I like Lampman, Dixon and Lascoe

Byrd's job is to field the punt
He is not supposed to return it

ANY return TommyLee's included, must have good blocking

Sour grapes while winning is just weird

No. They actually had a better game than any I can recall in recent years. Coverage was on point. Punts were amazing. Almost had our first return TD in 5 years. We had great containment. I remember one play there were two Panther blockers on one gunner and the gunner held containment and kept the returner from getting ANYTHING. Nah they had a good game yesterday

Payton has to be held accountable for putting Byrd out to field punts. He's obviously supposed to be our "sure handed" guy who takes punts inside the 20, but all he's out there to do is fair catch the punt. On his first fair catch, there was no one within 20 yards of him. It was a disgraceful lack of judgment. But, again, this goes to Payton. He ultimately makes the decision about who to use on returns. We lost the battle for field position all day, and a big part of it was our utter inability or even unwillingness to return punts. Lewis gets a shot and makes a big play but was only allowed one more chance. I'm still shaking my head.

Payton has to be held accountable for putting Byrd out to field punts. He's obviously supposed to be our "sure handed" guy who takes punts inside the 20, but all he's out there to do is fair catch the punt. On his first fair catch, there was no one within 20 yards of him. It was a disgraceful lack of judgment. But, again, this goes to Payton. He ultimately makes the decision about who to use on returns. We lost the battle for field position all day, and a big part of it was our utter inability or even unwillingness to return punts. Lewis gets a shot and makes a big play but was only allowed one more chance. I'm still shaking my head.

This.

Its fine to say that Byrd is there to fair catch only (dumb as that is, to leave out any chance of a return), but even then YOU DON'T FAIR CATCH AT THE 7! Let it bounce for the probable touchback. This is basic football stuff.

qh0UBNV.gif

Well arent you "sparkley" this morning.

No doubt. What makes a man come to the Board the morning after a win and rain negativity? Especially in a season largely marked with overwhelming negativity. Stay away for a day at least man, and let others enjoy some semblance of elation.

Payton has to be held accountable for putting Byrd out to field punts.

"Held accountable"? How you gonna do that? No banana pudding with lunch today? Take away his Netflix password for the week? No texting or FaceTime with his girlfriend until he gets his grades up?

Of all the asinine thing that fans say, this "held accountable" has got to be in the top five of inanity.

Meh.

2/3 on FG's from your rookie kicker, with the miss being from 50+
Huge return that set up a TD
No massive breakdown's on coverage

If you want split hairs during the game about the Cadet return and Byrd non-return, fine. But after a game, specifically a win, to complain about any single aspect of the game that wasn't perfect, just seems a bit silly.

Nothing personal, just an observation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom