Our starting Oline will be the same as last year. (1 Viewer)

tophergillock

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I re-watched the Houston game yet again and this time I tracked every play that involved our 1st string O-line.

LT- Armstead
LG- Lelito
C- Unger
RG- Peat
RT- Strief

1st/10- Run Play; +2yrds; More if Lelito gets to next Lvl.
2nd/8- Pass Play; Good Pocket; Incomplete
3rd/8- Pass Play; +9yrds; Strief gave up quick pressure +15 penalty
1st/1- Quick Screen; +2yrds; D read it well
2nd/8- Run Play; +2yrds; No push upfront
3rd/6- Good Pocket; Should be +36yrds; Coleman Drops ball; Big Hit
1st/10- Run Play; +4yrds; Lelito got pushed back some
2nd/6- Pass Play; +9yrds; Good Pocket
1st/10- Run Play; 0yrds; Poor Run Blocking
2nd/10- RB Screen; +9yrds; Good Blocking
3rd/1- Run Play; +3yrds; Good Run Blocking

1st/10- Pass Play; Fumble Recovered by Saints; Fleener got beat on the left side of the line. Usually TE's don't solo block on the blind side. I didn't like the play call. Coaches put him in a bad position.

1st/10- Pass Play; INT; Good Pocket; Brees forced a pass; Should have been Defensive Pass Interference

LINE CHANGE

Overall the line played well. Our run blocking needs to improve some. A lot of positive plays when the play went right. This made me realize that I (and many of you) are overreacting to how our offense is playing. If that deep ball to Coleman would have been thrown to Thomas, Snead or Cooks I believe we score that drive. It really was just a few odd occurrences. Just my 2 cents.

I re-watched the first half of that game today too and I totally agree with what you said. The line did a solid job in the first two drives in pass plays. I think the real problem (all game long) was the running game gaining almost no yards.

I re-watched the first half of that game today too and I totally agree with what you said. The line did a solid job in the first two drives in pass plays. I think the real problem (all game long) was the running game gaining almost no yards.

That is always a problem. The running game is the last piece of an offense to gel in the season. Fixing it should be doable in the next two and a half weeks

If we are playing bad to mediocre defense I don't see the line being a problem it's the better defenses particularly the ones with really good players in the front 7 that worry me, such as the Broncos, Rams, and of course the Panties which are all on our schedule. That's not including the playoffs which is usually loaded with good defense. If we want to beat the best teams it's obvious we have to improve protection wise.

How would the Houston game look in the regular season with Watt out there?

If that deep ball to Coleman would have been thrown to Thomas, Snead or Cooks I believe we score that drive. It really was just a few odd occurrences. Just my 2 cents.
This comment made me wonder if Coleman does not like to run post route or lacks confidence when he knows the safety is over the top cause most likely he knows he is going to get popped. (the term is hearing footsteps) Same on a deep slant. However when he runs a fly or something similar with a cb in one-one coverage he knows that the hit is not going to be the same jolt from a cb. Just wondering.

BTW, we went to the playoffs several times with a mediocre running game.

We don't really seem to grade the line on effectiveness of the run game in the Payton era and there Don't seem to be serious expectations put on the OL as far as running the ball with consistent efficiency as long as they keep Brees can stay upright, which is kind of a shame.

I re-watched the Texans game too, rewinding each play just as you did, Patriots game also. And I was not impressed, particularly with Lelito. So we reached different conclusions.

The concerns voiced on this board (and in the press) are not overreactions. Watt was right when he said New Orleans needs to do something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom