Our tax dollars making a difference (1 Viewer)

The real question is why marijuana was prohibited in the first place. If you look at history you'll find a few common denominators: racism, political posturing, and influence by major corporations. Just because a law is on the books doesn't make it morally or ethically right. Using bad science to pull the wool over the public's eyes doesn't make it beneficial to society. And by the same token, just because something is legal doesn't mean it's good for society.
BULL DAWG

I AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS STATEMENT.. however i do not see how a person that is in possession of marijuana can get more time than a rapist. marijuana at the most is 1 years rape is a min. of 1 year actually its much higher but i'm not looking at the law book.
marijuana is a misdemeanor is what I'm say rape is a felony.
the war on drugs is not a war on marijuana it includes all the others illegal drugs and that is what for the most part is targeted.
also if a person actually looks at the funding for drug interdiction you find its not really coming from the federal gov. its really self supporting . last year we made a case here that captured 63 million dollars. well that not only will fund the city's force for many years but the states teams also. that was only one bust.
Ive never seen the federal gov hook up a guy for a dime bag. we've got to get real people that's not who or what they are after.
Marijuana possession can also be a felony. And you're looking at 2 years on average.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524483_10

Of course, the numbers will vary greatly from state to state obviously. Here in Alabama, you can get life.

http://www.november.org/thewall/cases/gray-d/gray-d.html

Now, I fully realize $900-worth is a substantially greater amount than a dime bag. But the fact remains...this guy is spending life without parole for buying a plant. I personally know a rapist/murderer in Mississippi who may actually be out on parole now. He raped a young woman, murdered her, mutilated her body, and left the remains in black trash bags by a creek. He then went and taught a Bible study class. Again...two different states, but they have similar laws.

Back to Alabama.
§ 13A‑12‑250. Sale on or Near a School Campus (Additional Penalty)
In addition to any penalties heretofore or hereafter provided by law for any person convicted of an unlawful sale of a controlled substance, there is hereby imposed a penalty of five years incarceration in a state corrections facility with no provision for probation if the situs of such unlawful sale was on the campus or within a three‑mile radius of the campus boundaries of any public or private school, college, university or other educational institution in this state.

5 years for selling a blunt for selling a blunt within 3 miles of any of the above?

Meanwhile, it was 2005 before a minimum sentence of 10-years was given to person committing a sex crime against a child under the age of 12...and it's considered one of the toughest in the nation.

http://www.governor.state.al.us/ask/q-a_05-08-03.htm

See where I'm going with this?

Instead of focusing on pot (which has been statistically proven), the "war" on drugs should be focused on substances like crystal meth which is deadly from production to use. But the only way to do that is for someone way above you or I to get a lick of common sense and de-schedule a plant that grows wild nearly worldwide. Kudzu is more a danger to society than pot is.

Put me down as a vote to decriminalize and tax it, then the Treasury Dept can go after the big time sellers under the same laws that put Capone in jail. Then we can spend more money on the drugs that really destroy lives: Crack and Meth.

Why should we even go after a dealer? Would you also decriminalize growing plants?

Taxes are ready and waiting for LA/AL, $3.50/gram for both.

Kudzu is more a danger to society than pot is.

I fully support Kudzu prohibition.

yes bulldawg your correct. there is a felony charge for marijuana. however i was making my statement in reference to persons that are not selling it. the reason i was speaking of them is some of the poster on here were speaking how unfair it is to go to prison for smoking a blunt or haveing a small amount of marijuana on them. when it could not be further from the truth. yes if you have over a oz. of marijuana in ga you are charged with a fel. but you want see a day in prison.
now if we go to the other drugs such as cocaine, meth and so on i fell the punishment she be much stricter or harsh. the persons that sell these drugs are destroying families and killing persons with these drugs.
now i can also prove how the federal gov is making money off of drug uses through a tax base. and that is why i believe this country will always have a drug problem

An attorney who works in Indiana, told me that that state has a very, very agressive policy of sentencing those found guilty of DUI, to a long and nearly endless alcohol recovery program. The guilty party has to pay for it, and it goes on for years.

Fair enough, right?

Except that the program is owed by a group of the very judges who oversee these cases.

I think one reason pot isn't legal, is that unlike alcohol--which isn't easy to produce...I'm not building my own still when I can go grab a bottle of good Whiskey for $20--marijuana can be grown so easily, that not only would it be difficult to enforce illegal cultivation, but the black market for weed would drive the price into the toilet, and ulitmately, the government would probably not be able to generate that much revenue from "legal" pot unless consumption was restricted to licensed locations, much like they do in Amsterdam.

There's a reason they call the stuff weed.

I was in Crete last fall and saw something that looked like weed growing out of a crack in the concrete next to the road. I asked somebody, and they said it was marijuana. Apparently it's not good for smoking but it grows all over the place..

im with the people that say tax it. legalizing it would create many LEGAL jobs ,and bring money to the economy. whoever thinks marijuana is the devil or as bad of a drug as herion and other hard drugs is an idiot. it was made illegal at first to keep mexicans from making profit on it here, and its just stuck. i dont smoke it , never have , but i do think it would help the economy and help the people that are classified as criminals when they really arent

yes bulldawg your correct. there is a felony charge for marijuana. however i was making my statement in reference to persons that are not selling it. the reason i was speaking of them is some of the poster on here were speaking how unfair it is to go to prison for smoking a blunt or haveing a small amount of marijuana on them. when it could not be further from the truth. yes if you have over a oz. of marijuana in ga you are charged with a fel. but you want see a day in prison.
now if we go to the other drugs such as cocaine, meth and so on i fell the punishment she be much stricter or harsh. the persons that sell these drugs are destroying families and killing persons with these drugs.
now i can also prove how the federal gov is making money off of drug uses through a tax base. and that is why i believe this country will always have a drug problem
Your last sentence speaks volumes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom