Outcoached?? Too many passes? Etc. {multi-merges} (1 Viewer)

thats entirely to many attempts, we should have ran the ball....WAAAYYY more. Its almost like we wanted a shootout with the Bengals. We should have kept the ball out of their hands and ran it more. IMO.. I think we controlled the clock, but with our secondary being so...how do i put it...CRAPPY.. we should have ran the ball more, am I the only one thinking it?

I'd like to see a stat but i'd bet 90% of teams that pass that much lose.

When I saw at halftime brees was at 300 yards, I knew we would lose. You can't pass that much without making game killing mistakes.

Obviously, the most important factor in the Saints 3 losses since the break has been turnovers. Everyone knows that. However, that doesn't mean that Payton hasn't been a little too pass happy. Really good teams have solid running games and tough defense. We clearly lack the personnel to be a complete defense, but we could be a better running team IMO if we emphasized the run more and showed the will to run. By no means should the team go conservative, but it does need to get back into balance with more running.

Guys, really

If you want to know why we lost the game you can say it was b/c of TO's but that's not really the truth. The truth is b/c we threw the ball too much. We wouldn't have those TO's if we were relying on low percentage TO plays like running the football.

deuce only had 10 carries for 40 and reggie 13 for 51. Now i don't care which gets more carries if they are both producing but you've got to run the ball more than 13 times when

a. your not down many points
b. your getting good production
c. The other team has a high powerred offense

Few teams win when they throw the ball over 50 times. Few teams win when their QB throws for over 400 yards.

Just how it goes. Its not so much that the yards aren't good but when you throw that much mistakes are going to happen. Everytime. And usually the mistakes outweigh the good coming from getting that many yards.

100% agreed. It's real nice to see Brees chucking the ball all over, but, for me, I like to see Duece pounding away. He was moving the ball well and so was Bush. Why did they abandon the run so early? They weren't down by much. I know you do what works that day, but both were working well enough.

I hate to question Payton b/c i have been calling him a genius all year but the truth is that he is a QB coach and he likes to throw the football. I hope he realizes his mistake and doesn't just say "It's all because of turn overs"

I noticed early on that the Bengals were consistently biting on play fakes, badly, that could possibly be a reason, I'd have to watch the game again though, on tv this time, to break it down since I probably didn't have the greatest view from 634 through my beer goggles.

haha i was in 644 and had the same goggles on and the hotties around me distract me a little but I will watch it again tonight and i think i'll come to the same conclusion

i personally believe we are coming into the game with to many passing plays, and not enough run plays... i think payton saw the kind of season Colston was having and started to rely on our recievers a little to much.. inevitably that allowed him to gradually move away from our "bread and butter" which is running the ball... its what got us to were and its what needs to happen in order for us to get back on track.. there should be no reason for brees to throw the ball on second down in the redzone.. especially with colston out, and no dominant TE.. we are NOT a passing team.. we aren't Green Bay or Indy or New England as much people want us to be.. we are a balanced offense, and with the way reggie has been running lately; its not a question of needing, we HAVE to get these guys the ball.. PERIOD!

They did run the ball first, and it was well contained.
The first two passes were a 10 yard 1st down and a touchdown, on two separate possesions.
The point is, the Saints were able to move the ball with the pass better than they could with the run, and found this out by running first.
Not only was it decent playcalling, it was a good adjustment to what the Bengals defense was giving them.

I would be to differ with you:

Second Quarter
New Orleans Saints continued...
1-10-NO43 (15:00) R.Bush left end to NO 48 for 5 yards (L.Johnson).
2-5-NO48 (14:21) D.Brees pass deep left to D.Henderson pushed ob at CIN 8 for 44 yards (T.James).
1-8-CIN8 (14:06) D.Brees pass short left intended for D.Henderson INTERCEPTED by M.Williams at CIN -4. M.Williams to CIN 21 for 25 yards (J.Brown).

The Saints had plenty of time their first trip to the Red Zone. Why oh why didn't they try to run the ball at least once. They were averaging 4 yards a pop.

We don't need to go conservative, but we do need more balance with more running plays, especially in a game when Brees was getting pressured consistently.

We don't need to go conservative, but we do need more balance with more running plays, especially in a game when Brees was getting pressured consistently.

I agree that we should be running more, we have two great backs we should use them. I was encouraged from what I saw from Bush though yesterday, he seems to be getting it, hitting the hole quicker, lowering his shoulder, etc.

I'm Payton's biggest supporter, but I have a question for you coach types. Does the fact that we threw for over 500 yards in a CLOSE game while both of our backs averaged at or over 4 ypc indicate that we needlessly abandoned our running game. Wasn't this the reason Fassel pulled play calling duties from Payton in NY? Again, I'm just trying to understand why we didn't run the ball more. Deuce was his stellar self this game, and Reggie seems to 'get it'. Any of you guys have an idea?

Yes, bush had his best rushing game this week and his second best was last week, that is good news.

I don't want to be the ****ing eagles :((

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom