Outcoached?? Too many passes? Etc. {multi-merges} (1 Viewer)

LubDemSaints

I Bleed Black and Gold
Reaction score
I look at our last 3 loses and look at our non existent running game. I don't care about Reggie's potential to break a big one...fact is he hasn't! What happened to pounding the ball with Duece and spelling him only when he is tired? Using Reggie as a slot receiver like we started to do early in the season. I mean the Bungles do not have nearly the class of LB's the Ravens and Steelers do. I like how we started but it seems as we had something that was working and have really strayed away from it. We need more ball control (Enough Turnovers)!!! Run for 3-4 Yds, pass for 5-7 Yds. Still productive, eats clock, wears down defense. Etc. Yeah we have a lot of speed and Big game ability in our wide outs, but every pattern doesn't need to be a streak, post, or go route.

Just my humble opinion. I am sure those might agree and some don't but please I would like to hear either way.

We held the ball 33:33 minutes. We had 600 yards of offense. Play-calling wasn't the issue

Good point...
However I dont think 52 pass attempts and only 23 run attempts is exactly what you would call balanced play calling. Also the game was close until the 4 quarter. Most times whenever games like this are close you grind out every yard you can and go for the goal a couple times a drive just to keep them honest. Also more importantly to rest our above average D.
JMHO

We held the ball 33:33 minutes. We had 600 yards of offense. Play-calling wasn't the issue

Playcalling was the issue. Saints had 600 yds and only 10 points! (I don't count the last TD because that is trash points) Sorry to break the news to you but when you have the stats you state and only have 10 points you have a problem with your playcalling. The interceptions in the endzone are playcalling issues as much as they are brees errant throws. You just don't make those throws on 1st and goal when you have a suspect defense. Payton is trying to "out think" the opposing Defense and in return he is taking the ball out of the saints best ball carriers.

You just don't make those throws on 1st and goal when you have a suspect defense. Payton is trying to "out think" the opposing Defense and in return he is taking the ball out of the saints best ball carriers.

Here's an idea try running the Ball. It seems to have worked in several games. We were able to actually score touchdows with running plays. Run on 1st down...Play action pass 2nd...Spread Option Offense 3rd...
again just my opinion...

Playcalling was the issue. Saints had 600 yds and only 10 points! (I don't count the last TD because that is trash points) Sorry to break the news to you but when you have the stats you state and only have 10 points you have a problem with your playcalling.

The two interceptions by a normally safe Brees in the endzone had nothing to do with that of course.

I guess Payton should stop calling the "Red 91 Shift Left Interception in the End Zone" play so much

The two interceptions by a normally safe Brees in the endzone had nothing to do with that of course.

You can't get intercepted when you run the ball...again a playcalling issue...Why can we not run the ball first and then try and pass. Like I said before, this is what got us the majority of our wins...

Good point...
However I dont think 52 pass attempts and only 23 run attempts is exactly what you would call balanced play calling. Also the game was close until the 4 quarter. Most times whenever games like this are close you grind out every yard you can and go for the goal a couple times a drive just to keep them honest. Also more importantly to rest our above average D.
JMHO

That's assuming the Bengals couldn't respond quickly, and we knew that wasn't the case before kickoff.
The goal was probably a balance between scoring quickly to put up a 2 score lead and using time off the clock.
The turnovers killed the Saints, by not forcing the Bengals to abandon the run so Gibbs could put Stoutmire deep.
It was no secret they were going to score, either; there were talking heads predicting an 80 point game.
The Saints were moving the ball and using the clock, and it looked like it was managed well.
If they had run much more, of course the Saints would have used more time off the clock.
That clock works against you unless you have a lead.
With Cincinatti's offense, that needed to be a good lead, and it just never happened.
The play calling is not at fault, and the run WAS tested early.

You can't get intercepted when you run the ball...again a playcalling issue...Why can we not run the ball first and then try and pass. Like I said before, this is what got us the majority of our wins...
They did run the ball first, and it was well contained.
The first two passes were a 10 yard 1st down and a touchdown, on two separate possesions.
The point is, the Saints were able to move the ball with the pass better than they could with the run, and found this out by running first.
Not only was it decent playcalling, it was a good adjustment to what the Bengals defense was giving them.

I guess Payton should stop calling the "Red 91 Shift Left Interception in the End Zone" play so much

Well, he called "Blue 88 out interception", but Copper blew the play by catching the ball and fumbling.:0007:

you can't really be serious?

you do know that turnovers can be created in the passing and running game correct?

This forest has trees in it!

We run the ball, we win. Simple. The further away we get from the run, the less likely we are to win. We got away with it against Green Bay but we won't fare so well against better competition.

you can't really be serious?

you do know that turnovers can be created in the passing and running game correct?

This was a form of satire from a statement made from LSSpam; as his was a form of satire from a comment of mine. I guess some just aren't intelligent enough to catch on...

Playcalling was the issue. Saints had 600 yds and only 10 points! (I don't count the last TD because that is trash points) Sorry to break the news to you but when you have the stats you state and only have 10 points you have a problem with your playcalling. The interceptions in the endzone are playcalling issues as much as they are brees errant throws. You just don't make those throws on 1st and goal when you have a suspect defense. Payton is trying to "out think" the opposing Defense and in return he is taking the ball out of the saints best ball carriers.

LOL. One of the funnier post I saw today. Let me ask you this: If Brees didn't throw the picks, would you be complaining? Basically you're saying the plays called were, hmmn, 'high turnover plays?' Or let me ask you this: if we pounded the ball in there and got stopped, what would you say? They we got too conservative?

I don't care how you spin it. 600 yards of total offense and 33 minutes of T.O.P. is GREAT play-calling. But there is no playcalling in the world great enough to overcome four offensive turnovers.

Payton didn't call 'interception in the red zone.' Brees didn't look if the LBers were in hook zones. And another play he tried to force it in....Payton didn't call 'WR2 Option Copper Fumble,' it happened...

LoL...no, you can't. So what you're saying if you don't have confidence in our passing game in the redzone; therefore, we should always run first? How long do you think it would take NFL opposing coaches to pick up on that?

Last edited:
Turnovers when you throw 52 times you are going to get picked somrtimes but for the most part it was bad timing. Two in the endzone killed us and the other went back for a TD. Our season will be definded by turnovers....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom