Outdoor grill cleaning. (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Took the cover off the grill this week here in Connecticut. Opened it up and it’s a rusted mess. When we bought the house almost 2 years ago it could have used some work on some components but i wanted to wait to do an overhaul. Well it’s time. I got pricing and I’m moving forward it the grates are $800 alone. I’d rather clean them but not sure how. Any idea best way? Soak them, scrub them or replace? What’s the best solution to soak in. Any help appreciated!
F7BBEDC3-01AA-40DD-8FE8-730399F82932.jpeg

Not sure why that came in upside down

I am in the same spot, but replacing the grill would be $80 and I don't want to pay it. I need to find my receipt because I'm almost positive I bought the higher grade stainless steel when I rebuilt this grill 8? years ago. It's an old Arkla beast that's been in my family from as long as I can remember. It was a pain hunting down parts.

For $800 I would take those measurements to a local ironworks and ask them to fabricate. That is ridiculous.

My plan for now is to remove the rust and try to season the iron like you would a cast iron skillet.

Your oven will do wonders I am telling you. I have bought rusty cast iron and put it through a closely cleaning cycle in the oven and the rust falls off. The cast iron was completely gray looked new and unseasoned. It did the same for my grills.

Your oven will do wonders I am telling you. I have bought rusty cast iron and put it through a closely cleaning cycle in the oven and the rust falls off. The cast iron was completely gray looked new and unseasoned. It did the same for my grills.

Would you put that on an old cookie sheet, maybe covered with tin foil? At this point, I might give it a try.

What are the grates made of? I've had luck cleaning cast iron with salt and oil. Then just gotta scrub scrub scrub.

Would you put that on an old cookie sheet, maybe covered with tin foil? At this point, I might give it a try.

I put a cookie sheet on the bottom. There is a mess to clean up in the oven after and this helps. I do the same thing with my grills from my smoker.

How would know whether they are stainless or porcelain?

If you are going to soak, I would soak in vinegar. It is cheap and seems to melt rust away.

How would know whether they are stainless or porcelain?

Porcelain coated or enamel coated? Either one you don't want to scrub with steel wool. Look around inside the corners for cracks, where it separates from the metal.

Edited: Not solid porcelain, cause they're rusted. LOL.

The grill themselves look fine. I’d just heat that grill up as hot as you can for a good amount of time so everything gets good and hot then take a high quality wire brush-not a grill brush, but a real wire brush and scratch the heck out of them. Once you get done with that, let them cool a bit, get some canola oil, put it on a old rag and rub them down when they are cooling. Season like a cast iron pan (few heat cycles with canola oil) and you’ll be fine.

Just adding this to the thread as an FYI:
Step 1: Remove the Racks and Do a Pre-Cleaning
The heat generated during the self-cleaning cycle will tarnish and pit metal racks, so it's important to remove them. Wash them separately in the sink. Scrape large pieces of gristle and other food from the oven walls and floor to minimize the fumes released during the cleaning cycle. Do not leave tinfoil in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle -- the heat will vaporize it.

I looked it up to be sure, and my oven gets to 900 degrees, so not happening today. The grates I'm trying to clean are similar to the racks they say to remove. :covri: Going to try something else instead. Leg quarters were on sale at Rouse's so I need this done by the time they defrost.
🔥

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom